In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sales still above last year

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by EODDiver, Feb 25, 2023.

1. EODDiver

EODDiver

Love cutting here. On a mountain top with a great 360 view for miles and very remote and peaceful. Owner rarely appears and puts no rules on my operation

2. EODDiver

EODDiver

Bagged 155 truck loads from his Northern neighbor prior to starting his property. I know every pot hole and turn after driving this route over 225 times.

3. EODDiver

EODDiver

Red oak carnage this morning. Had to prop up the rootball so it didn’t block the trail down to more trees. Love pre-split firewood. A 18" hickory for tomorrow.

Attached Files:

4. EODDiver

EODDiver

Awesome red oak today. Perfectly straight grain for 70' and split like a dream. Unloaded at the splitter and taking my afternoon nap before splitting and stacking all this (about two cords).

Attached Files:

5. EODDiver

EODDiver

No nap today. My Dad called around lunch and said he had two trees across one of his roads. Fueled and sharpened up the 372XP and headed out. A hickory and cherry were the culprits. Two of my best selling firewoods. Cut about 1/2 a cord and then split and stacked until dark. My Woodyard is completely full and now working on lining my 2,500’ gravel road with firewood.

6. EODDiver

EODDiver

My hickory haul this morning. Took me about :20 to cut and another 1:45 to split and carry it to the truck about 125' away. Had to brace the rootball to keep the trunk from going vertical. The trunk was dripping water my last few cuts. Nothing heavier than wet hickory. Only put a face cord in the truck today since I was worried about exceeding the hauling weight limit and I have a very steep hill to go down getting out of there. I always put it in 4 low and creep down with brakes also applied.

Attached Files:

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's a nice tree. You done good today.

8. EODDiver

EODDiver

Thanks! Landed a restaurant customer today for 2 face cords of hickory every 10 days. Have about 25 cords of inventory, but need more. I make more with my residential customers and they give generous tips in addition, but am happy to have a steady out flow. Circa in Thompson Station, TN is the place.

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's great. We have 1 restaurant that gets oak from us, a big tote every couple months. We talked with a pizza joint that has a big brick oven. He wanted a truck load every 10 days too. About 50 miles from home. Tried to get him to get 1 cord trailer load/time, he didn't have storage room, we didn't have that much ready supply.

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. EODDiver

EODDiver

The price we agreed upon was for 2 FCs per delivery since I have diesel and driving time to cover. Starting in September when my deliveries pickup, I'll drop off one at a time. Bought a cord of hickory yesterday from my local logger just to make sure I have an abundant supply of dry stuff. The hickory I cut yesterday will probably need a year to season. I'll find out after my delivery today what size splits the restaurant prefers. Hopefully small so it drys faster.

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  11. EODDiver

EODDiver

Yesterday's 2 FCs of hickory delivery. Guess I'll know in a week or so if I have a regular customer. Restaurant cooks with wood inside and also has a smoker out back. E59D1C9D-8AD0-4C78-9ED6-7E7FBA418666_1_201_a.jpeg

Stephiedoll, Chvymn99, Dok440 and 3 others like this.
  12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice load

13. EODDiver

EODDiver

Yesterday's load of hickory and finishing up with this red oak. Last cut on the red oak was 27". Thankfully all these rounds split easily into quarters.

Attached Files:

WinonaRail, jrider and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. EODDiver

EODDiver

These two are on today's menu. Red and white oak and didn't get close enough to see what the third tree species was.

Attached Files:

WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks like some nice trees. Good wood.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  16. EODDiver

EODDiver

Beautiful day for cutting. In the sixties, no humidity and a nice breeze. Bucked up the red oak and started on the big white oak. Found another five trees down in same area; all hickory and white oak. I usually cut 1 & 1/2 truck loads each visit, so have about 3-4 truck loads waiting to be mauled and hauled.
    46005928-D059-4064-95D4-780F9ED79D18_1_201_a.jpeg 93CEE27E-BB59-44C8-B1EE-1CC78B95F321_1_201_a.jpeg

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Very nice score.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  18. EODDiver

EODDiver

The quality of the trees I have been cutting for the last six weeks is amazing. Even though I sell it for a nice amount in the Nashville area, it would surely be worth a lot more at a mill. My future customers will be delighted with the product even though ugly wood burns just as well.

19. EODDiver

EODDiver

Awesome load of white oak today. Mauled and loaded the truck before cutting another load for tomorrow. I drive through my local loggers property to access where I am currently cutting. His brand new Eastonmade 60C has been just sitting there for almost a week now without any action. Plan on being his first customer with the new processor. The thing is a beautiful beast with a 60" circular saw. Starts at 185K and quickly goes up from there with extras. My fear is that he will raise his prices to pay for this major investment.
    BF01C25D-4F62-43B9-BB62-43CAEF0A9E88_1_201_a.jpeg 0BFA9489-D38B-41CE-A090-ABC826828212_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Stephiedoll, Dok440, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, beautiful but expensive machine. Got to sell a heap of wood to pay for that.