In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sales still above last year

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by EODDiver, Feb 25, 2023.

1. EODDiver

EODDiver

I take cash, check and Venmo. Benjamin’s are my favorite from of payment. Delivered to another Uber wealthy dude today. His house and land was worth over 20 million according to Zillow. He texted me a picture of his fire from this evening and thanked me for the great firewood. Greatly appreciate the positive feedback from my customers.

2. EODDiver

EODDiver

Delivered a cord of white oak to a wedding venue today; Meadow Hill Farm located in Columbia, Tn. Owner said they are booked two years out for weddings and have a lot of international business. Firewood is a big deal for the place and the owner wanted a steady supply of seasoned white oak. Nine Benjamin’s came home to roost today with the tip. Looks like another steady customer.

3. Highbeam

Highbeam

Quick off topic question. I recently changed to a Glock 19, I’m licensed to conceal carry. What type of holster do you prefer for when working wood? IWB appendix carry is my normal way but it’s a bit uncomfortable bending over a lot.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

SuperTuck Holster | Order the SuperTuck IWB Holster - CrossBreed Holsters .... This is my go to CC holster... I buy the horse hide, supposedly better to deal with sweat... It super comfortable. It will squeak (all of mine did, not sure if they still do) until the leather breaks in. Very secure they stay where you put them at...

Highbeam, T.Jeff Veal and theburtman like this.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam

Also imports is where do you put them? IWB but up front, side, back? Especially when working wood or driving.

Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. EODDiver

EODDiver

I don't carry when cutting and loading. Even having my phone in my pocket bothers me. A grizzly bear could walk up to me when cutting and I wouldn't notice. I just keep my phone and Glock in a ready place inside my truck. I feel safe with a big loud chainsaw in my paws. Another benefit of selling firewood at a high price is that it keeps me out of bad neighborhoods.

7. billb3

billb3

As easy as some make it sound it is trade-type work that deserves complement pay. Not too many that can be bothered trying to have a premium product at a premium price, course there isn't a market for it everywhere, although those pricy bundles sold everywhere might say otherwise. Get whatever you can.

EODDiver, Chud and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mine is on my right hip. It starts right past the front pocket and ends just before the back pocket. With the extra tab of leather it protect the back of the gun from my side belly... Its rather comfortable once you get use to it...

Highbeam and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. EODDiver

EODDiver

No rest in Nashville. On track for about 250 face cords total this year. Weak compared to some of the heavy hitters on FHC, but I make up for it in price and tips. Shocking for this time of year, but only one delivery today. 12' rack and stacked a few wheel barrow loads at the patio fireplace. Left plenty of time to load for tomorrow's deliveries and split and stack the shag bark I have been cutting.
    IMG_0523.jpeg

10. EODDiver

EODDiver

I am a prolific posted on CL Nashville. Check out my ads on Nashville CL, and type in "firewood for sale."

Deererainman, T.Jeff Veal and Rich L like this.
  11. EODDiver

EODDiver

Crushing it with my white oak and hickory ads. Have found customers like to order a combination of firewoods, but don't like the term "mixed firewood." Mixed firewood means tree trimming stuff that is light on any of the good stuff.

WinonaRail, RCBS, theburtman and 2 others like this.
  12. EODDiver

EODDiver

Seven truck loads so far off this beast. Neglected to take a picture after my last cutting, so have it down to one single trunk piece. Noodling down the middle and then cutting to 16". Still about 100 pounds of wood that requires lifting into the truck. Maybe 10-12 loads total. Over 3k plus tips. I am also cutting all the limbs to wrist size and splitting and bagging it for kindling. My 372XP has earned its keep on this job.
    IMG_0509.jpeg

13. billb3

billb3

"Mixed" hardwoods usually means there is some lightweight hardwood like poplar/cottonwood mixed in with the oak and maple here. Most of the sellers here either have/rent a processor or are cutting delivered logs. The tree guys chip round wood . Some of them cut firewood in the Winter whenever they're not plowing (if they plow) . Some don't bother with firewood . Some don't want to eff up their trucks plowing, too. Not too many guys advertising firewood as they are either sold out or have orders thru Jan 1 and just aren't taking any more. Some have ads stating don't bother calling. See you next year.

WinonaRail, jrider and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. EODDiver

EODDiver

IMG_0434.jpeg Have cut like a maniac the past 18 months and supplemented with purchasing. Will not run out of seasoned firewood no matter how high the demand gets over this winter. Have been the last seller standing in Nashville past Christmas the last two years. This requires a lot of cutting and splitting during wicked hot summer months.

15. Zack323

Zack323

How has the shag bark been to split? Looks like spiral grain that's like splitting a cheese stick.

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice work. Keep it going

17. Deererainman

Deererainman

You do have CL "blanketed" pretty well. As a consumer the first impressions looking at the pictures of your inventory and your competitors is "Professionalism", "Neat and Tidy" and "Quality". You are easily the highest priced, but your presentation (and the YouTube link), exudes Value/Quality. You back up the marketing side with excellent service and product. Couple that with a good metropolitan market and you have a successful and sustainable business model.

Very nice. :salute:

upload_2023-11-21_8-59-13.png

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

Exactly? I normally use my splitting maul on big stuff out in woods to make lifting easier. Barely make a mark on it with the maul. That is why I have been noodling. Hard on the saw. I keep the wedge very sharp on my splitter since Shag bark is more like cutting than splitting.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  19. EODDiver

EODDiver

Thank you very much Deererainman for the compliment. Seems only FHCers understand how to produce great firewood. Almost had a perfect delivery day today. Delivered four separate face cords and came up $5 short of twelve Benjamins even though I received tips from all. I only take pictures of my deliveries when I think the stack is worthy of using in my ads. Two of today's deliveries. My face cords are closer to 50 cuft vice the correct 43. A lot of my customers say, "the last guy must have shorted me." I don't mention I deliver extra. Helps build repeaters.
    IMG_0529.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg

20. EODDiver

EODDiver

Three of my four deliveries today had mine fields galore and I don't think I missed any of them. This is why I carry newspaper in my truck to keep the poo off the floor mat. Stopped at a country club parking lot to have lunch before the last delivery. Fortunately, there were golf shoe cleaners everywhere that came in very handy. So sorry Belle Meade country club for what I left behind!