In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sales still above last year

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by EODDiver, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Rich L

Rich L

Man your adventures of selling firewood at your prices amazes me.How you make so much off the wood in Tenn. far outpaces what we get for wood in colder Mass.It's seems you stumbled on a gold mine.Good for you !

WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. Rich L

Rich L

Ya true however that January we had cold hard ground but no snow on the ground and that bare earth caught fire.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  3. EODDiver

EODDiver

Heat index of 111 today. Was a slacker today and only got two face cords split and stacked. Have two deliveries scheduled for two face cords each. Each repeat customer said no rush because of the heat. So Monday and Tuesday are booked. Believe there was a lot of steam rising from my woodyard today from the boiling heat.

WinonaRail, T.Jeff Veal and Zack323 like this.
  4. Zack323

Zack323

Snow at times will insulate ashes. I've thrown it into a snowbank, two days later, it caught the woodchips below on fire.

T.Jeff Veal and Rich L like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Rich L and Zack323 We live in different worlds in my world Snow is frozen water the bottom is usually 2” of ice due to freeze and thaw cycles AND will not burn; neither does dirt.. dry leaves twigs yes dirt no! I use both to put fires out!
    Fire needs low moisture carbon based material to burn.. as I have had about 30 inches of rain in last 45 days catching something on fire is an effort so let’s agree to disagree :handshake:

T.Jeff Veal and Jeffrey Svoboda like this.
  6. Rich L

Rich L

There's nothing to disagree.The debris on and under the ground caught fire and began to spread.The roots of vegetation under the ground along with dried leaves and twigs in the soil began to smolder and flame up.It freaked me out until I got it put out.All I have to say is make sure that ash has no smoldering embers before putting on bare ground in the winter.Also this was some years ago and there was no rain nor snow just cold.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    Warner and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  7. Rich L

Rich L

If I have snow I put it in my ash bucket to make sure everything is out then I dump.No more dumping on bare ground without adding water to the ash bucket when there's no snow.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Depends on what flavor you want...:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

9. EODDiver

EODDiver

I prefer the seasoning that fresh Benjamins make inside my wallet. Nothing smells better.

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, hickory will get punky fairly fast too.

11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We had to cut a load of 16" splits forna repeat customer.
    These logs were cut in December...all small water and red oaks.. 0823231522_HDR.jpg
    Average size... 0823231706.jpg
    Split in half 0823231708.jpg
    Stacked in her rack... 0823231157.jpg

billb3 and WinonaRail like this.
  12. EODDiver

EODDiver

I have a regular two face cord customer I am delivering to Tuesday. He is the only guy I know for certain that uses it in his high efficiency stove to heat his home. He is a software engineer and certainly can afford to heat with natural gas. There are tax rebates provided by Uncle Sam that incentivize his behavior. He also has solar panels and a Tesla battery system for his house. When people burn for pleasure vice comparing the cost of firewood to heating oil, natural gas, electricity etc., they pay more. Also a marketing strategy I believe in is charge more than anybody else. Of course, I have the premium hardwoods of TN in my woodyard to back it up. However, there are tons of folks selling face cords from $80-120 surrounding Nashville. Does their firewood suck? From the remnants I see in new customer's racks I would say 90% of the time the answer is YES. Guess I would never see the good cheap firewood since I wouldn't be contacted in the first place.

T.Jeff Veal, Rich L and WinonaRail like this.
  13. EODDiver

EODDiver

My fresh cut red oak usually tests in the 45% range. I find after a week of sun and a nice breeze that the fresh splits from older whole log woods gets down to 20%. Please tell me what you are reading on that wood a week from now. Being located in smoking hot GA and with your smaller splits and great storage, I have no doubt that wood will burn nicely in November.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  14. EODDiver

EODDiver

My logger sells a couple thousand face cords from September until he runs dry which is usually by Thanksgiving. If it didn't burn, why does he sell out every year? Smart buyers would stay at least a year ahead, but those type of people are a rare breed.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  15. EODDiver

EODDiver

Got my ash out the door early this morning to get a load of logger firewood. Unloaded and split a little before the heat got too unbearable. Shot a quick video of my woodyard which I use in my CL postings. https://youtu.be/mL8GyHjXOPU

T.Jeff Veal and HuskyMakk like this.
  16. EODDiver

EODDiver

Received a six face cord order this afternoon. Three oak and three hickory. Have four loaded for an early morning delivery and hopefully returning in the afternoon with the other two. $1,640 day. A new record. Have two Monday and two FCs scheduled Tuesday. Crazy, maybe 10k this month.

Chvymn99, WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  17. EODDiver

EODDiver

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

Was running low on pallets, but not too worried now.

Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. EODDiver

EODDiver

Wife and I loaded this in 96 degree temperature with 113 heat index. We must be a little off. Or had really cold beer powering us through.

Chvymn99 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Just checked out your channel. Nice

Deererainman, Chvymn99 and EODDiver like this.