In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Running dirty

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by savemoney, Nov 28, 2013.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    So I noticed more ash piling up. Was going a week before I HAD to open the stove, ( I usually clean every 3ed day out of habit. ). I am burning the same pellets. I did the leaf blower thing last week. The dollar thing is snug. Running on my usual settings. So I pull the blower out. Covered with carbon soot. I took a brush to that, vacuumed out everything I could get at. Tapped the back wall. New gasket, put it all back together. Plugged it in and lit the fire. Now burning good with that nice snake tongue flame going straight up. Will see how it looks tomorrow. Cold predicted to hit the single numbers so I need this running right. :popcorn:
     
    gbreda, jtakeman, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  2. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Running burning smoothly. No ash build up or bearding in the burn pot. If it stays that way for a couple of days, I'll know I got the culprit. (me for not cleaning the fan sooner)
     
    gbreda, 343amc, will711 and 2 others like this.
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Hope you got it figured Saves.

    Just goes to show how good a clean stove runs :)
     
    savemoney likes this.
  4. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Hey Save$. Still burning clean? Really hope so as tonight is gonna get cold !!
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Holding ok for now, flame a little big, but I am burning softies at the moment
     
    gbreda likes this.
  6. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,318
    Likes Received:
    55,534
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    "Running Dirty" Is that like streaking? :zip:
     
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  7. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    You put a picture in my mind that I can't get out. Thanks.:eek:
     
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    17f outside, 73f upstairs from the stove. Heating about 2200 sq ft. But I am running the stove on the upper limits set by the manufacturer. There is another third of a turn, but the manual say it can only run there for a couple hrs. So I just avoid that setting.
     
  9. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Got to 14 last night. Stove was on 4-7, and the house stayed right at the stat setting....68.
     
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Was 11F outside when I got at 5 AM, the house was 69F This stove doesn't have a stat. I shut it down and cleaned the pot out. Had about an inch of ash in it. Running and making good heat but I don't like having that ash build up. Might be the softies, not sure. I did the leaf blower thing a week ago. Might have to open the inside tee and take a brush up it just to see if there is anything I might have missed. I also want to take a piece of stiff tubing and duct take it to the end of the shop vac. Then I can get deeper in the stove when I pull the exhaust blower again.
     
  11. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Yes, doing ok, heat is good, but have some ash build up. Not bad , but not as good as it was last year. I talked to my nephew in law, he is a stove tech for a major stove shop near hear. They specialize is the harman line. He has one in his home. Anyway, I have a few more things to ck when I shut it down to clean. Should be tomorrow or Tuesday.
     
  12. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Ok, I went back to the mixed MWP from the soft of the same name. So far, two days and no ash build up. Go figure. That is one fussy stove. It doesn't like most brands (ash build up and clinkers) but it does very well with MWP. Now, I have to admit, I don't buy expensive pellets. So I can't tell you how any of them burn. Price point to just not rational to me. I just can bring myself to pay a third more for what might be 5% more heat.
    I like to think I am not set in my ways, but then, who am I kidding.
     
    will711 likes this.
  13. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Saves , maybe it's time for that nephew to hook you up with a deal on a Harman;) they eat & heat whatever you put in the hopper just my biased 2 cents:whistle:
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  14. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You are right, we both know that, but that stove would cost me lots. I plan to go with a stove with higher heat output. Several good options mentioned for that without breaking the piggybank.
     
    gbreda and will711 like this.
  15. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I hear ya bud :)

    I know you got another thread going about putting a stove in a prefab chimney upstairs and you talked about a wood burner as an option . That may work for you and not cost as much $$$ . I do both, I could never get enough heat up stairs to keep my honey warm now she is plenty warm:thumbs: and no bitching , check that always something remind me to do :whistle:
     
    gbreda and DexterDay like this.
  16. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,749
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mid Ohio

    Harman, set it and forget it...............burns ANY pellet at the set temp.
    Found mine used for $1000 4 years flawless running
    IP knocks on wood
     
    gbreda, DexterDay and will711 like this.