In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Run fridge auto ice maker from 5 gal bottle water?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Oct 11, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I love iced tea, just too much of a PITA for manual ice cubes now. We have to haul water dont trust it to be safe for drinking after transferring through the old cistern... There has to be a way!?! Ideas appreciated!

2. nate

nate Banned

It would need to be pressuredized to feed into the fridge.

rookie1, OhioStihl and wildwest like this.
  3. milleo

milleo

Seriously???? Go back to the old fashion way and fill some ice-cube trays and freeze til frozen....:D

wildwest likes this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I wish I could! I cant touch frozen things for than a few seconds without risking damage to my darn hands...:hair:

Stinny likes this.
  5. Stinny

Stinny

Welp... I'm sure you use pot holders or gloves to handle hot stuff, so... gonna hafta use some type of gloves to handle ice cubes, if that's the way you go. Or, and you'd have to run this by an appliance service guy, you might use a 12v pump to drive water from a 5 gallon tank into the icemaker intake line on the fridge. We use one on a 26 gallon tank on the 4x4 to water flowers all around our place. It has enough pressure to send the shower stream 15 feet no prob. Might be plenty for your op.

wildwest likes this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Sigh, you are right. I used gloves to buy frozen groceries when I used to shop. Surprisingly the "ove glove" worked well for cold as well. I will be watching the amazon black friday lightning deals for a 12v pump!

Stinny likes this.
  7. Stinny

Stinny

Check out Northern Tool's website. Look at their ATV water tank setups. That will lead you to their pumps too.

wildwest likes this.
  8. 343amc

343amc

Only problem with a pump and an ice maker is the pump knowing when to turn on. You'd only want it on when the ice maker calls for water, or else you're going to have a pump running all the time when it only needs to run for a minute or so per cycle.

IIRC there is a electric solenoid/valve that opens when the ice maker calls for water. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out where that is and tap into it and make a circuit to turn the pump on, but it would take a lot more effort to do that than making ice cubes in a tray.

wildwest likes this.
  9. Boiler74

Boiler74

Why can't you just install a reverse osmosis filter system inline before the refrigerator to clean the untrustworthy water? They make them specifically for well systems with low water pressure. Then you'd have filtered water for both ice and water in the door.

If you want low tech I suppose you could try to rig up something using gravity ....... if you have a second floor. Run a line from an inverted 5 gallon water cooler jug to the fridge. The head pressure of the water on the second floor might be enough to make the fridge happy.

If you buy plastic anything for this purpose make sure it's food safe!

Josh

wildwest likes this.
  10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

So you have an ice dispenser as part of the freezer? Would bagged ice from the store work with the dispenser...seems like it would be simpler.

wildwest likes this.
  11. basod

basod

Confused? - you have a shallow water well? or a deep water well that transfers to a cistern?

Is the area under your sink cabinet accessible from underneath (basement area). It would make more sense to put an RO unit under the sink and then run a water line from it to your fridge.

Ice makers are fussy with low/varied water pressure. I don't think a pump would make much sense to add in this case

wildwest likes this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Don't RV's/travel trailer's have an automatic 12V pump for their water systems?

wildwest and rookie1 like this.
  13. rookie1

rookie1

Yes and was going to suggest. They have their own on/off switch when pressure is needed. I don't see why you couldn't plumb it with a suction line that drops right in the jug. :)

wildwest and jackel440 like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

DaveGunter, brilliant, cheap and simple to do, thanks for the common sense!

basod, no well, too salty and hard here to be cost effective, large tank from city plant then drained into cistern.

MasterMech, I am finally in the house :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    milleo and basod like this.