In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rocket mass heater build (time for a rocket stove subform?)

Discussion in 'Rocket Stoves & Rocket Mass Heaters' started by BrianK, Jan 6, 2017.

1. BrianK

BrianK

Temtek Solutions High Temperature Precast Refractory Products

NortheastAl and fuelrod like this.
  2. CNE deer

CNE deer

Very cool I would like to see it running and see heat output vs amount fuel/wood, awesome build . Hope this helps with your recovery:D

BrianK likes this.
  3. BrianK

BrianK

I closed off the bench and made the first fire in the stove tonight.

It smoked back a bit when it was cold but once it was at full burn and the barrel stove primary air was completely closed, it did not smoke at all. It burned approx 1:15 and the highest temp reached on the barrel top was 790 degrees F. Not bad for a first trial. I know what needs sealed up with furnace cement before the next burn.

4. BrianK

BrianK

5. BrianK

BrianK

I had an open basement window 10' from the stove with a pretty powerful exhaust fan blowing out and two open windows on the other side of the basement to let fresh air in. In the one video we were just switching over from a regular desk fan to the more powerful exhaust fan in the window when in the video my mom said she could smell something. Here's the exhaust fan: m.harborfreight.com/8-inch-portable-ventilator-97762.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

I think the burning epoxy on the top of the barrel started overwhelming the ability of the regular fan we were using (which you can hear in the background of the videos) to exhaust the basement so we switched to the much more powerful exhaust fan. You can hear it in the first video above, which was the last video shot, and there's no smoke in the room.

My mom, who has a VERY sensitive nose, couldn't smell a thing once we used the exhaust fan. It did an amazing job of evacuating any smoke. And cooling down the heat from the stove on a 60• F winter day.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Get that epoxy burnt off then you can hit it with some Stove Bright... :D

NortheastAl, BrianK and TurboDiesel like this.
  7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

This is a great build, Brian. I'm curious to see how it warms the house on those sub-0° days.

BrianK and TurboDiesel like this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK