In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Roadside Red Maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Aug 25, 2021.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I just found a victim of this past weekend’s storm. Red Maple fell roadside, obstructing the road. Bucked to movable lengths and hastily tossed aside. I didn’t have my saw with me but was able to get a decent heap of sticks.
    EE173766-BA8A-43F1-9054-E6AC8A65F8CB.jpeg
    C6B7FC8D-EE7A-4554-98D8-3BC2C6C3646E.jpeg
    FC5FF757-754B-481D-B935-DBABD4078FF7.jpeg
     
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,849
    Likes Received:
    114,786
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Every little bit helps!
     
  3. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,946
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Nice little score!!!
     
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I thought so too. I spotted it early this morning when it was still dark outside and thought it was beech driving past it quickly. I’m not one to complain about red maple though :) There’s a lot of tree left there that’ll be easier to retrieve once all the leaves drop. Not that I plan on getting everything, but some larger rounds would be nice. It’s about an 18” DBH tree.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nice grab Eric. Not even a limb down around here that ive noticed. You going back???
     
  6. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Most likely, because I’ll be driving past it a lot and I know it’ll keep creeping into my head :DThis was on the backroad close to my work. I think I lost half a dozen really small dead oak branches in my yard but that was it. Even down in Middletown I didn’t see any damage. This tree was in a swampy area so maybe the root system had nothing to grasp in the breeze.
     
  7. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Nice score!! I love red maple. It really makes nice coals too when it burns down. The whiter meat red maple seems to pop easily for me when splitting. Love it. And the bark peels right off sometimes too and you get that slick white meat below the bark.
     
  8. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I’m a fan myself, and haven’t turned it down yet. This one is a nice size to work with. I’ve dealt with some monster rounds a while back that were a bear to split. These younger trees split like a dream IME.
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Also, partly because it splits so easy it makes great kindling wood. It dries super fast, lights off quickly and easily and burns hot. Just the thing that is needed to start a quick fire.

    Nice going Eric Schamell
     
  10. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    Heres to hoping you get as much as you can before they haul it off!
    In upper ct, it seems most of the damage tree-wise was Gloria-esque. Less of the branches breaking, more root-balls pulling out of wet holding.
    I haven't had any time for scrounging from this storm, so I'll enjoy your pics and progress.
    Sca
     
  11. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,420
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Dontcha love the logistical challenges us roadside scroungers have to face! :picard:
     
  13. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That seems to be the case more often than not. Roadside scrounges often get pushed downhill into a ditch, and Murphy's Law is that there's usually brambles or poison ivy to contend with... Come to think of it, this is my first roadside scrounge this year. At least I didn't have to go out of my way to work this score.
     
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    ...or be covert! :cool: ;)
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Cut, split and stacked until winter 2022-2023. Funny thing is a couple weeks ago I gave away a small pile of splits to a good coworker friend. The space left behind was filled up perfectly by this new red maple. The universe provides-
    BB4FE6EC-FABE-4BD9-B9BE-FF29693AACF3.jpeg
     
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I like the tarp tent covering! Nice when space opens up for new scores. Just doesnt happen fast enough in our cases.
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  17. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Tell me about it... I’m at the point where I’m hoping for another harsh winter so I can burn through 4 cord or more, which will free up space and allow me to continue on with my stack consolidation agenda.
     
    buZZsaw BRAD and MikeInMa like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Well you could give more wood away or keep the windows in the house open all Winter...just a thought!:whistle:
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.