In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Road Kill!

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Nick&Lissa, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

4DDDBA61-A1CB-47D2-9E2A-825AFA2792AD.jpeg 388415BD-8F15-44A0-BBB1-7970AA599052.jpeg Nick brought home this road kill and he’s Happy As A Gopher In Fresh Dirt!!!! Me? Ewww!
    ~Lissa

2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’ve been known to pick up a road kill or two myself

3. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

While it's beyond my capabilities to handle something like that, it's really nice to see it not go to waste, other than feeding the varmints, buzzards, and flies.

Many years ago, I was riding in the car with my hunting mentor to the butcher, with his antlerless tag filled. I did not get one. A herd ran across the road, about one mile from the butcher, and he hit a straggler button buck. We stopped, picked up the deer, and he says, "now your tag is filled". Had to call fish and game, they came out, put my tag on it, and, that was my antlerless deer for the year. His little Suburu station wagon limped home, stream pouring out of the radiator, and was totaled by the insurance company.

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Nothing goes to waste in nature. Varmints, scavengers, & tiny creatures gotta eat too

5. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Totally agree, cycle of life.

That said, we killed it, and feeding us seems like a higher use than feeding the maggots.

Our fox population around here is fed with a steady supply of road-killed squirrels. I've seen it happen twice, the fox grabs the squirrel, and gets off the road. So long as the squirrel hasn't been turned to road-stain.

6. Will C

Will C

Nothing wrong with a road kill if it isn't beat up too badly. It seems like everyone I find has been destroyed by the collision.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, we had a well known large buck pretty much in town for years (where it lived was not in town but the town grew around that area). Our neighbor happened to pass by it right after it was hit and killed by a car. Called the authorities for permission for the meat but bonus, trophy rack too.....

And yes, he brought steaks up to our house one night and we had dinner, it was :drool:

yooperdave, fox9988, Loon and 6 others like this.
  8. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I've collected a few in the winter that you couldn't have shot any better. There was no wasted meat on them. I figure they ran into the side of the vehicle. My wife got one that way...deer ran out into the side of her car. She called me home from work to get it.

We have got ruffed grouse that had flown into a window of our house. When my wife was staying home with the kids she once brought one of them to me at work in a paper bag to dress out.

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Washington St. has salvage laws so you can take home road kill. You take the animal home and print out a tag within 24 hours that must stay with the meat at all times. I have not done it but have a friend who has several times!

10. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

We have than for moose. I have gotten in on two of those with friends. Good meat!

11. Loon

Loon

Picture ww as you know about that rule here.:coldone:

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:emb: It was in the 1990's and he showed up at our back deck on his horse. I have to share though, we had new member recently that lives in the canyon that guy moved to, and he knows him too!!! Crazy aussie living in Colo foothill/mountain towns :rofl: :lol:

13. Loon

Loon

:coldone:

14. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I've cut the backstraps out of fresh roadkill before, nothing wrong with it at all, IMO. Better than it going to waste!

So long as the meat isn't bruised up and it's fresh, I'm game..... (pun intended)

15. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

Scotty Overkill that’s pretty much what Nick did, he cut out the backstraps, after that he ran into some bruising but we salvaged what we could. Made steak medallions and several batches of “deer niblets” lol, cut up small, battered in spicy fry mix and deep fried, YUMM!
    ~Lissa

16. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

:banana::banana::banana:
    metalcuttr Hmmm... not sure if they tag it or not here but there’s a program thingy people can sign up for with the sheriff’s department, they will contact you when there’s road kill and you can pick it up. We’ve always just picked it up and thrown it in the back of the truck if we find it ourselves
    ~Lissa :banana:

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Nick&Lissa Just a thought here but why not add a survey to your thread? "Have you eaten road kill? yes: no:"

I'm thinking with this hoarding crowd, the numbers will be extremely high! :yes:

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

firestarter , this is none else than Crazy George :) The buck was on Harmony, west of Shields before that are was developed.

19. firestarter

firestarter

I think I met that crazy Aussie last summer at the caboose. It was a regular mountain hoedown. The Aussie fit right in among them upper Buckhorners.

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

Awesome guy, who wouldn't love him!! Eccentric for sure though :dex:

brenndatomu likes this.