In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ribs!

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by The Wood Wolverine, Sep 2, 2019.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I use the 3,2,1 method and adjust time for size of racks(3 on smoke, 2 in foil, 1 on sauce/smoke). First 3 hours gives the smoke ring and flavor, when I pull them out of the smoker at that point, I add a few briquettes of charcoal to keep the heat going, plus the first round of wood chunks typically dry out and turn to coals. I only have issues with keeping temp doing a brisket for many hours. The charcoal tray on this type smoker has holes for airflow. They get blocked with ash and it needs dumped. I use the chimney type of charcoal lighter and let the coals get fully gray so as not to raise temp to high when the food goes back on heat.
    [​IMG]

Yours look darn good!

FatBoy85, metalcuttr, Marvin and 7 others like this.
  2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

3. JoeinO

JoeinO

Thanks they are really tasty but I think between charcoal and the extra steps yours would win in a rib cook off.

4. Hoytman

Hoytman

Another nice thread. Great job!!!

+

5. webby3650

webby3650

I notice you use oak rather than hickory or a fruit wood. Is there a reason for that? I use oak on beef, not on other meats though.

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’d ask the same thing. Usually oak is a heavier smoke but doesn’t necessarily mean it is. I know red oak is sweeter than white for smoking. Usually using oak for longevity burn helps. Fruitwoods are definitely my mainstay for bbq, apple plum and cherry being regulars.

7. webby3650

webby3650

Cherry and hickory for me. Never briquettes either, natural lump is the way to go.