My Chevy 2003 HD has been eating me alive this year. Over $3300 since Aug. It has a short some where that is draining the battery. Went out today to charge the battery. Started it up and had a clicking sound. It has less than 1000 miles since I changed oil. Thought maybe I ought check the oil. Went to pull the dipstick and it wouldn't come out. I finally gave a heck off a jerk and it finally came. Dip stick was rusted and the end had broken off. Rust may have came from the last brake down. The hose going to the heater core broke. Rust could have come from the hose hanging down by the dipstick. Now, does the filter filter the oil coming out of the oil pan or is the oil filtered on return? If it is filtered on the return I will have to drop the oil pan and retrieve the piece. Anyway, I drove it down to the barn. When I went to turn on my return trip, it seemed like the brakes were on or the ground was soft. I got it up to the house and still had a problem backing up in the driveway. Upon looking one wheel was straight ahead and the other at a 30 degree angle. The tie rod had broke. I watched a video and it doesn't appear to be much of a DYI project to replace the tie rod and the parts won't hurt to much. Junkman maybe coming. Just can't afford to put much more money in the old girl.
That sucks........................but sounds like she has reached retirement time for sure....................
Hate to see you put good money after bad. I’d do the easy repairs and then look to upgrade if a major one comes along. Good luck.
..."good money after bad." That is how I was raised. I figure I will do the tie rod repair. Give her a oil change. If the dipstick end doesn't come out in the used oil, it is time to sell her as a mechanic special. Use the money to do needed repairs on my skid steer. Getting to old to crawl around under a vehicle. I don't use it except to go to the lumber store. Skid steer is what I use for my wood getting. I have a small trailer and 2 other vehicles. Use the money to put a hitch on one of the other vehicles and drop one from my insurance. If I have any major hauling to do, I have a son and 3 grandsons with trucks.
That dipstick piece will stay in the pan unless it is pretty small...there is a strainer on the oil pickup tube...BTW, the crank gets oiled before the filter sees it...