In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Resume help needed

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bocefus78, Feb 28, 2018.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Agreed. I have a feeling the next thing you will be working on is choosing which job is best for you with multiple offers :)

You Got this!!!

BRAVO on an interview after only one day!!

Also it wouldn't hurt to have an answer if they ask why you shutting down your business. Could citing the recent dry winters work for that? Or could that be spun around to a negative ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

What time?
    Be early !

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Excellent point, WW :yes:

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Focus your resume/interview on "transferable skills" IE: planning, scheduling, attention to detail, ability to multitask, communications....etc. Have specifics ready.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

5. bocefus78

bocefus78

Lack of snow was certainly a part of it. My best year was $21,000 In snow alone. Ive lost $ 2 years in a row now. As with anything weather related, its never a given.

Main reason I'm over it is too much stress, expenses outweighing profits, insurance Costs, and I already told them all that on the indeed online App.

6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Not good!
    Will push you over the edge!

Either one is enough reason .
    Both?....time to get out!:handshake:

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Might not mention this to a potential new employer...

8. bocefus78

bocefus78

The job posting has been pulled/filled. :(

Is it bad form to apply for that position anyway?

9. cnice_37

cnice_37

I mean don't hound them, but no. Candidates back out all the time, good to have a backup plan.

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Agreed. Place it, and at least look to establish a contact.
    I know you found the deal on Indeed, but are you a LinkedIn member? Could “follow” the Company, and maybe reach out to their HR dept. that way, too?

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Apply, apply, apply.

Worse case, you don't get a bite.

Go on as many interviews you can. You'll learn a little bit more with each one you go on.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Horkn, wildwest and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Some of this may seem obvious but in my current job when I was interviewed I think the things that I said that they were most impressed with are, I'm always willing to learn new things, if I haven't done it before I'll figure it out ask questions when needed and after I've done it a few times I'll be proficient . Also, I told them I want to be the type of employee that I would want working for me if I ran the show, showing up everyday, working hard and getting along with everyone. They may ask what you've done with a confrontation in the past, I told them I get along well with everyone, but if something were to happen I just walk away and avoid an escalating situation whenever possible and figure it out after some cool down time had passed.
    Another note that done meet find interesting, when I got my job before this one, the lady in HR was impressed I had my driver's license, I was 20 at the time, I just thought to myself who doesn't have a D.L. ? Most work there was over the road and most of which was driven rather than flown because of all the equipment. Turns out about %70 of the people that worked there had D.U.I's and other related issues. I pretty much got the job because I wasn't a dink when I was a kid, or at least because I didn't get caught:whistle::rofl: :lol:

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Absolutely not. I remember one time I interviewed close to 100 people. Finally filled the one position I needed. Two days later a fellow showed up to ask if I had decided to not fill the position or if someone else may have gotten it. He wanted me to know that he was still interested, even if that new man worked out. He thought he could help us. I hired him and he turned out to be our best man.

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Pictures for your resume... QpTma33.jpg eyumvAX.jpg

Stephiedoll and Horkn like this.
  15. lukem

lukem

There are a billion different online templates, but unless you are a doctor or in some type of research position, keep it to one page.

Just list the names of the businesses, your position, and responsibilities. As for your parent's business, you don't have to say they were your parents unless asked. Just list what you did and how long you worked there.

For your business, say you were the owner/operator, and list the types of work you did (lawn maintenance, snow removal, decks, painting, etc).

For references, list some of your customers who you had a good relationship with, the people you work with for youth shooting events, etc.

Being self employed for a long time is an advantage for you. Shows that you don't need to be managed, can solve your own problems, and are able to effectively interact with customers, etc.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

and achievements.

Eric VW and Backwoods Savage like this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

You don't say you worked for mommy and daddy - you say you worked for XYZ Realtors. Then you list your business name as your present employment - even if it is Bocefus Lawn Care. Under each you list all accomplishments / specialties / skills acquired for each place you worked.

18. schlot

schlot

Don't leave any time blank. Working for a family business is 100% legit.

What some employers may see in self employment is self starter like TurboDiesel said. Others may actually see it as a problem.

Just an fyi, traits like independent, setting your own hours, taking liberties are what some people equate to self employment, whether it's true or not. There are some management types that may get worried or threatened by someone like you.

Emphasizing traits like team player, yada, yada may calm some of them.

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll do great.

19. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

There are several professions that are multiple page worthy resumes.

Sadly, I personally wouldn't risk putting down anything gun related.

Some companies are using software to filter applicants. They search key words or phrases specifically relating to the position.
    One resume won't cover every job and should be tweaked a bit for each.

Good luck! I'm sure you won't have a problem finding something that's fits and works well for you.

wildwest likes this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Horkn, bocefus78, schlot and 2 others like this.