In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

RED Hot Maple Score or HOT Red Maple score?...you decide!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jul 27, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The broken sledge i rehandled late today mrfancyplants IMG_0762.JPG
    A guy i scored some wood from last Winter gave it to me. Used it a few times, but i seldom sledge and wedge. IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0766.JPG
    I tried it with the longer handle and kinda like it. Split a few of the larger rounds with the wedge. Used to an 8lb.+ sledge. Handle went on rather quick too. It was very close to the socket size.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I split the rest from the first two loads this afternoon. About three hours of work. Had to buck and noodle a few as well. Highs in the low 80's and no humidity. Still got soaked with sweat. Wanted room for the last load. IMG_0775.JPG
    Small mound of 10-14" shorts in the front. Mound of 16" splits in back. IMG_0779.JPG
    Mound of 18-24" splits. Decide to leave them "as is". Didnt want any more cookies/nuggets as there is still a bunch at the score. IMG_0780.JPG
    Went late this afternoon and pulled the last load. He had bucked a few and moved them into one pile. There is a half a P/U full of nuggets/shorts still there. I want to make a bin first before i bring them home.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    MikeyB, Midwinter, Loon and 3 others like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks like you had a very productive day. Good job, brother.

Midwinter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well, when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. In my case i made firewood. PU broke down and is in the shop waiting to be fixed. So i spent the afternoon processing the last load. IMG_0803.JPG
    stacked a half cord of 16" splits IMG_0805.JPG
    mound of 16" splits need a place to be stacked. IMG_0802.JPG
    stack of 10-14" shorties. IMG_0806.JPG
    Mound of 18-22" longs to be stacked. IMG_0801.JPG
    small mound of nuggets from the processing. Need to make a pallet bin just for these, but need more pallets! Still half a PU full of nuggets/shorts remain at the score. Wanna get the bin built first.
    Im questioning whether it was a good idea for me to take this score. The wood was all different lengths, was tougher to process being partly seasoned, had to sledge and wedge the big uns. In the Winter the Fiskars wouldve made easy work of them. I have the big honey hole to work yet. Oh well, whats done is done.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Sorry about the break down, but it gave you time to get other things done... looking good brother. Hope you can find more pallets

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Hope y'all have a great weekend camping. Don't look at too many trees...lol

Midwinter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Electrical issue. Had it towed late Monday. Wouldnt start. Pulled battery & went to have it checked...all good. Turns over but wont start. Funny thing is it started for my mechanic no problem. I tried it today and it started in his parking lot for me as well. Crazy! I couldve taken it for today, but didnt feel like getting stuck again even though i have triple A.

I think i have a couple extra pallets in my other PA down below. A bit of a walk to bring them up here to the house. May go to the mini honey hole tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Midwinter and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Same campground we went to a month ago. Leaving Sunday. Ill be scrounging wood there of course. Bring about half the wood we burn with us. Ill put several bundles together.
    Im always looking at trees. Almost instinctual for me!

Midwinter and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I'm the same way, looking all the way to work...we can't help it...

buZZsaw BRAD and Midwinter like this.
  10. Warner

Warner

You might want to take a look at the fuel pump driver module, it’s on the frame rail above the spare tire. They are made of aluminum and plastic. The aluminum oxidizes and cracks. Usually the culprit for a crank no start concern on that gen. F150 92338AF8-C296-4964-B07D-AFB89BCBFE9F.png

11. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

This answer brad!

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

THANK YOU VERY MUCH amateur cutter & Warner . :thumbs: Called the mechanic and passed the info onto him.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Stacked the rest of the splits IMG_0855.JPG
    over a half cord of "longs" 18-24" splits. IMG_0857.JPG
    scrounged this pair of log rack brackets. Made another stack in front of the longs. IMG_0854.JPG Wanted a bin ready so when i went back for the nugget/shorties i could unload them right into it. Called the guy and he had burned them. Oh well i have plenty around to fill it.
    He is having more trees felled later this year so thats something a hoarder can look forward to.