In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ran across an odd chain...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by NewToStihl, Jan 18, 2015.

1. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

So I'm doing a little work on a 460 for a guy and as part of my normal process I clean & sharpen the chain (20", 3/8-.063 for what it's worth). As I was sharpening the chain I realized something very odd about it.

For the most part it's a normal full comp chain. Then I run across the section of it shown in the photo below. Now, as we all know, a standard chain alternates right and left hand cutters separated by one link. My understanding is that on a half-skip chain they alternate between one and two links between cutters. On a full-skip chain there are two links separating each cutter.

On this darn chain there is a section of about 14 drive links that is all right-hand cutters and they're separated by THREE links each!?!?!?! Has anybody seen anything like this before?

IMG_3500[1].JPG

fox9988 likes this.
  2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Looks like that chain has a couple sections in it. I wouldn't run it.

Someone either resized it or replaced sections at one point.

3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I agree.. That is a handmade loop of several chains.

HoneyFuzz and Moparmyway like this.
  4. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

I agree, but what a lot of work to piece together that sort of section! Three separation links and all RH cutters? I don't think you can buy anything close to that? Also, and I could be wrong, but none of the rivets looks to be 'homespun', but I'm not expert. Not to mention there's also a yellow painted Stihl strap in the middle of the mess...

I'll certainly tell the guy I wouldn't run it. I don't think he's very knowledgeable with chains to begin with . . . the cutters were crazy dull and as little of the cutter as you can see is left the rakers had never been filed. No idea how he cut at all with it...

5. chris

chris

Are you sure some were left hand side ones were not broken off. I run into that occasionally when the cutters are near the end of useful life. I do have one customer that got some chains from somewhere that are mixed species per loop - 3 different mfg . didn't catch it at first thought something went south on the grinder.

6. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

That's a very good thought and is what I suspected at first as well. I only looked quickly, but I don't think that's the case. I'll look closer this evening.

7. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Dead on !
    Look to the right of STIHL on the bar, and slowly look at all of the rivets as you go up, a few of the tie straps that are installed where LH cutters should be have larger spun rivets than the regular chain. Definitely pieced together

Hedgerow likes this.
  8. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Seen it on trade ins. Looks bad to the eye but couldnt tell any different in cuts. Wood had no clue. Use it up IMO.

Nice that it is on its last legs anyway. :picard:

Hedgerow likes this.
  9. MasterMech

I've not had the pleasure of getting a chain quite like that one in. Looks like it would cut circles. Now I want to go knock the left cutters off half a loop and try it. :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    DexterDay and NewToStihl like this.
  10. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

You wouldnt believe the chit some people will send you in trades. Total BS IMO. I got some chains I will trade 50% cutter left. Then that type of chit arrives. :eek::bug::jaw::doh:

MasterMech likes this.
  11. MasterMech

The last few trades I have done were running saws for parts machines. If it's a pile of parts in a box, it can only get better from there!

Evanrude likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That right side is a section of full skip but why would you piece chains together? Just seems like a waste of time to me:picard:

13. chris

chris

Frugality, after a bunch of reels ya always got a short sections left after making loops, might as well usem. Not my practice but it's out there.

14. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Well, just as a quick follow up - after a very close inspection the LH cutters have not been broken/ground off, so it didn't start out as a section of full skip.

MasterMech and Moparmyway like this.