In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rammy brush hog

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Joe P, May 23, 2024.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Hi Guys -

I'm doing invasive species control on my wood lot (horrible infestation of honey suckle). The wife and I are manually going through and cutting the brush then painting the stump with glyphosate to kill the root. Its slow going, but we have fun with it. We run the brush through the chipper. We could rent a skid steer with a forestry drum and probably do the whole 11 acres in a day or two, but we have a lot of new hardwoods coming up and don't want to just wack everything down. We'll get through it eventually.

I'm looking at one of these...
    Brush Hog for ATVs & UTVs by Rammy - Good Works Tractors

We'd continue to cut/chip the brush, but use one of these for maintenance. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with one of these?

2. Gregger17

Gregger17

I don’t have any experience with this unit. I have only ever seen the tow behind type. This unit looks amazing. What type/size Atv/Utv do you have? I have a Grizzly 700 and RMAX2 1000. I plow with the Grizz warn front mount 54”. I would love this system for the Atv. And would plow with SxS. Please share info if you go this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screwloose, brenndatomu and Ronaldo like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Interesting. I wonder about the rotary blades and not being a hammer blade/ flail mower though. Ships from Wisconsin, but made in Finland. I see that they actually do make a flail version too.

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I call complete n total BS on it cutting 4" trees! (well, more than once anyways...and even then it would need totally rebuilt!)
    And therefore, they just lost credibility with me...I'd be out.

Eckie, Ron T, JD Guy and 4 others like this.
  5. JimBear

JimBear

I agree.

I would need to see it in action, most batwings are rated for 4” softwood trees & they have 150-175 hp gearboxes. I think Dad’s heavy duty batwing is rated for 6” softwoods & 4” hardwoods, it has 250hp rated gear boxes.

Easing into a 8’ tall cedar with a 3”- 4” base lets you know it’s there, 10’-12’ tall cottonwoods & poplars with 2” bases generally don’t cause much commotion.

I didn’t see any info on the rpm’s of the blades either.

It’s got a 20-25hp engine.

It’s not like UTV’s have a creeper gear for easing into things. I think that unit would literally shake the chit out of the operator & the utv it’s self.

There claims would be more believable with a rotary drum unit.

Eckie, JD Guy, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  6. lukem

lukem

For that kind of $ I'd rent a purpose built machine for a couple days once or twice a year and get done 5x (or more) as fast. You can do a lot of work with a mini and mulching head in a short amount of time.

Agree with above on 4" trees. My 30HP tractor with 60" brush hog has about all it wants on 2-3" trees and I upgraded it to 1/2" thick blades. If it wasn't for the slip clutch on the PTO shaft I'd be breaking all kinds of stuff. It also weights 2x-4x what a UTV weighs and still gets rattled.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

X2!

Horkn likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I was gonna say trying to knock over 2" stuff with an 8' brush hog will wake you up, let alone bigger!

Horkn likes this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

That's where I was going. The brush hog on the old 2n Ford had way bigger blades and more power than this thing and no way could do 4". Maybe they lost the conversion from metric to SAE? ;)