In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Radial arm saw vs. table saw?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Stephiedoll, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Have some trim work that needs done so looking at used saws to do some ripping on to trim out windows and doors. My dad has a radial arm saw so been around them more than table saws. I see both on Craigslist so thinking used over new so I can keep the price around $100 or less. What are people's opinion on the two? Could look at new but feel I can get more saw for less money used and I see used 8" and 10" models out there. Thinking smaller so it's easier to store. May go look at a DeWalt 700 radial arm saw ($50) tomorrow plus the guy has an 8" table saw ($30).
    Thanks in advance and love everyone's projects.

Stephie

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Ripping boards is easy on a table saw. Set the depth of the blade, set the fence where you want it, keep the board up tight to it, and guide the board through. It would be tricky trying to rip boards on a radial arm saw though. You'd have to clamp the boards and you'd probably end up struggling keeping your sides parallel. Where the radial arm saw really shines is for cutting boards to length, especially if they're wider and you're looking to get a nice square cut on them.

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

I should add that I already have a sliding compound miter saw as well. I would think an older name brand such as Craftsman should be pretty well built. Thanks Eric Schamell

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

Radial arm saws, depending on the model can have the carriage pulled out, locked and rotated 90 degrees so they are parallel to the fence for ripping. At that point the blade is stationary and boards are run down the fence.

I would look for a small portable table saw. I've seen good used ones on FB marketplace where they get used a few times and sold. My wood shop is not yet set up, so I use a portable skil table saw, and it has worked well. I would not use it for cabinet work, but for house window and door trim, it is fine.

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

If you already have the sliding miter saw, just get a good table saw. They will work much better for ripping boards. I have a big cabinet style saw at the shop and a DeWalt portable table saw at home. Get a 10" if you can find one.

Buzz Benton, mat60, fox9988 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I have an old craftsman 10” table saw and I love it. Sometimes they are on CL for $100, that’s a good deal. I’m not a big fan of radial arm saws, they can be dangerous

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Been rethinking some and leaning towards a portable table saw. Narrowing down to the DeWalt DWE7485 (8 1/4") and DWE7491RS (10"). $200 difference but bigger blade (or is it chain now:rofl: :lol:) and includes a stand. Been looking at reviews but seems like DeWalt is always one of the top picks and an industry leader. Thought about used but most are older and who knows what problems they could have.
    Still researching...

mat60, blujacket, Screwloose and 2 others like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I think it’s important to note that the direction of the teeth in this orientation is vital. If one is facing the teeth and they’re coming “at you” the material will be grabbed and very swiftly ejected out the other side.
    Hey- there’s a first time for everything. :picard::startled::whistle:

mat60, eatonpcat, Screwloose and 2 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, not a fan.

10. fishingpol

fishingpol

It is all in the manual if one chooses to read it.:salute:

20200927_192822.jpg

20200927_192835.jpg

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

20 years ago when I took ownership of my grandfather’s Craftsman 12” radial arm saw from my dad, the manual was long gone, and I had never witnessed either of them rip with it.
    So alas, first time for everything. :yes:
    :salute:

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Just a friendly reminder that table saws are not the safest machines out there either...I have a buddy that can no longer give you a high 5, he can only give a high 3 after the battle he lost with his table saw!

13. lukem

lukem

As others have said, if you already have a sliding compound miter saw, a table saw is clearly the best choice.

Get a 10" saw. For sure.

If you NEED it to be portable these or the Bosch equivalent are good, not great, saws but carry a hefty price tag.

If you don't need it to be portable, that opens a lot of options. I have about $350 in an older cast iron Delta (saw, link belt, blade)....it works amazing.

You can probably find an older stationary saw for a lot less money that will outwork the portable ones.

Whatever saw you buy, buy a good blade for it. For the $, this is the best blade I've found:

Stephiedoll and mat60 like this.
  14. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

As many others have said, go for the table saw. It's amazing how often you can use it (if you like woodworking) just because you have it. With a fence you can consistently rip lots of material to exactly the same width without measuring - a huge time saver. If you don't think you would use it that much, you can opt for something smallish for under $100-$150. Make yourself a push stick (to save your fingers) and you're in business. I set mine up on a table, bolted down, so it's easy to push material through.

15. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

After a lot of research, seems like DeWalt was the winner so picked this one up today. Need to do a little adjusting but should fit the bill for my needs. Now to try and finish some projects. I do want to thank everyone for the advise. Also found this new blade that came from FIL before he passed.
    20201002_193624.jpg 20201003_114455.jpg 20201003_114501.jpg 20201003_114504.jpg 20201003_163928.jpg

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Don't you just love new toys? Have fun playing with it.

17. lukem

lukem

mat60 and Stephiedoll like this.
  18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

We had used both radial and table saws building.
    A contractor's table saw for us was the most used. Reliable, simple set up, reasonably moveable, once set it stayed.
    The radial arm had too damm many adjustments that had to be tweeked often in high use for accurate cuts.
    Sliding miter just makes life easy also.

Stephiedoll, mat60 and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Have both table saw used more

20. mat60

mat60

Enjoy your new saw. Thats a nice blade also. Be safe.

Stephiedoll likes this.