In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Raccoons were getting out of control

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by OhioStihl, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

That would have been a death sentence at our house! Any animal threatens my kid especially when she was little. On second thought even now, not a healthy choice.

Eckie, yooperdave, OhioStihl and 5 others like this.
  2. Loon

Loon

Just seen this comical old thread and it took a bit? But found these pics from on the farm a few years back. Time/Date :coldone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sourwood

Sourwood

My forester refers them as mesopredators, along with possums, skunks and the like.
    He says they are the reason we have fewer rabbits and game birds.
    My land was great for grouse in the 1980’s.
    When values of raccoon pelts went away, the raccoon population increased. People in Indiana blame coyote resurgence, but killing off all these critters is the way to improve habitat.

4. lukem

lukem

I think coons are the biggest reason the turkey population is down in my area too. I don't think coyotes spend a lot of time on birds...mostly rodents and lame deer. I've personally never seen feathers in coyote scat...but I have seen coyotes walking through a field, trip over a mouse, and eat it many times.

5. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Raccoon feces harbors deadly bacteria for horses. So no raccoons allowed in or near barns. I think the two new pups once learning their allowances will keep them at bay. They are also great carriers for rabies. Any near the home is reason for lead poisoning.

Loon, Chazsbetterhalf and wildwest like this.
  6. lukem

lukem

Coons and opossums are not allowed at my house. Lost too many chickens to them. 36 grains seems to do the trick.

Loon and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

And those of you opposed to shooting or not able to shoot where you live, a live trap with a paper plate slathered with peanut butter and big marshmallows stuck to the PB, seems to attract the possums and coons without pulling in a lot of cats. If you do catch the occasional cat, your choice. Please don't dump the critters near any nice looking farm that looks ideallic for them, the owners won't appreciate them any more than you do.