In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Raccoons were getting out of control

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by OhioStihl, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

The crapping on the porch issue reminded me of a story from my dad almost 30 years ago. He had a problem with the raccoons getting into the trash, then climbing an insanely steep set of stairs up to the second floor porch of the apartment he was renting to crap all over the porch. One night he went out there and took a big swing at one of em with a 4' level. Hit it as hard as he could at the top of the stairs, and it tumbled all the way to the bottom and smashed into the concrete pad. It the. Got up, looked up at dad....and just ran away lol

2. trail twister

trail twister

I was walking the dogs as usual about mid June. every time I went by one of my deer blinds the dog would stop look up and get up on the step of the ladder. A couple mornings later I take my single six on the walk with the dog. Get to the deer blind and dog stops and climbs the step. I climb up and open the door and there is a big old Mama coon who met a 36 grain chunk of lead head on. Six more about 4 pounders were huddled in a corner who met more 36 grain chunks of lead.

As a bee keeper I can say for a fact coons and pussoms are a royal pain in the rear and to some extent a skunk.
    In 2016 I traped and got permemtly got rid of 36 pussoms from early april to end of Oct.

We also have a creek runs thru the property and by the house get woke at night with coons down there fighting.
    used to go out there with the 22LR and a high powered flash lite. shoot them between the eyes. Didn't find one once that had gotten under a multi flora rose clump. the stink for so long stoped me from shooting the masked bandits in the creek like that.

:D Al

3. Sourwood

Sourwood

I was listening to a podcast with Ted Nugent, on the topic of his woods management for wildlife.
    He kills of any egg eating varmint he sees. It was helped the bird population on his place

There is indeed a surplus of those critters.

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Not thrilled to report we have them here again. Moved here late 2013 and never had them until last summer, they get in our trash dumpster and the wind blows it a mile or 10 down the road. We have one again as of a few days ago. BIG. I want it gone. I feed two wildcats that have been TNR'd (trap/neuter/release back to where they were found which is here) so I can't poison it since the cats or an unfenced neighbors dog might taste too. WWW says he'll get the trap out tomorrow night and hopefully release it over 20 miles away Monday morning.

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

A 22 shell would be better for him. ;) ...

6. trail twister

trail twister

I hate it when people that have a problem critter move it to be some one elses problem.

Use a 22 short in the head while it is in the live trap. Wash trap after you dump it in the trash it was raiding.

:D Al

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

8. Casper

Casper

For those in the "city" or with concerned neighbors.

Screenshot_20180729-094327_Chrome.jpg

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We'll see. He did mention the .17 instead of a .22. Big game, fish, fowl, whatever is huntable he does, but he thinks the racoons are cute (childhood thing, visited cabin every year with ones that would beg).

10. Certified106

Certified106

OhioStihl , I had the same problem this spring. Had a momma coon decide to move into a tree right next to my house with a bunch of baby coons. The darn thing would be down walking around the yard in the middle of the day. Our Jack Russell went after it one day and I decided it needed to go before the dog got tore up. They ended up taking a dirt nap that day. I hate them around the house!

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I have not seen the big racoon for several nights here. I saw a smushed animal on the road a few miles from the house and hoped it was him. No luck, I guess it was a badger (WWW saw it before I did and by then the vultures and crows messed it up).

12. lukem

lukem

Looks like prime bowfishing spot to me.

13. chris

chris

cci quiet zone little more omph that the agila at 720fps, 40 gr airmail i believe - still with an auto loader you will need to manually cycle bolt. Noisy in a pistol pretty quiet in a rifle with a 24" or better barrel.
    In answer to question regarding ground hogs/ wood chucks , I really do not know the specifics of how the peta ( and that is not People Eating Tasty Animals) folks got that through. It was still leagal for a Farmer to dispach one if causing a problem with den for live stock but Suburbanite's were stuck with them.
    Coons - They are down by the creek - but have been up around the house now and again as Bell will sing out if she spots one- mostly early in morning and I see the droppings around. Blood suckers are so thick that sending an air mail special delivery is pretty hard with out loosing a quart of blood.

Chazsbetterhalf, OhioStihl and Chaz like this.
  14. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I walked outside this morning and the dog didn’t eat his food last night. There was a full bowl untouched on the front porch. That’s a good sign.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WANTED

HITMAN FOR RACOON

DESCRIPTION: Large, gray/black/white

CRIME: Frequently injures domesticated dumped cats less than 1/2 his size

Poison will possibly/likely kill the dumped cats here (specifically the two previous neighbor that now moved was feeding and we became fond of), trapping will end up with a one of the stray cats on this peninsula in there as well. WWW is not into killing Geese/coons/does w fawns. Long story but many can fill in the blanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The one stray cat died on the table after I finally got him trapped, the wounds on his arms and under belly happened too many times from racoon wounds. The vet told me cats fighting go for the face.

2 coons trapped and relocated last summer. 1 down tonight and of all things the second keeps returning. Sorry little masked bandits, your just too aggressive with us, our pets, and no- when we have the garage door open you may not come in and try to chase us out.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    yooperdave, Loon, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  17. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

I used to have a problem with a big coon that would climb up on the roof of my barn and somehow get in, and take a crap on the loft floor. But I could never catch him. One day I saw him dead at the side of the road and heaved a sigh of relief. Never had another problem in my barn loft.

18. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I hate killing stuff myself but don't mind when other folks do it. The other local wildlife will benefit from thinning out all those coons.

We use an electric fence to keep them out of the garden. Once, the fence got one. The coon must have received a shock trying to go through the bottom two wires, and it bit down on the bottom wire. The wire got wedged between it's hind teeth, and that's where I found it, wire still wedged tight in it's mouth. Had to use a stick to pry the wire out.

The turkey vultures found it first.

19. farmer steve

farmer steve

I raise acres sweet corn so no love for the little masked bandits. A couple of years ago I thought I had a coon problem but never could catch them in the act. Tge would run when they heard me coming. Took a Polaris ride one night and saw a corn stalk moving and dipped on the spotlight. Big old skunk standing on his back legs eating corn. Figured out they wouldn't run when I came through and got 8 that summer. 8 more were hit on the road that year in front of our place.

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My husband was a hunting fool for most his life, you name it he liked to go hunting for it but also has a short list of animals he does not like to kill and coons are on that list. Seems he finally go fed up with chasing them out of the garage every time he opened the door, as well as still feels bad they killed that one stray wildcat cat. One of the final straws is one challenged our daughter and was growling, and now this new batch are disturbing the dogs and cats and us too, so, happy trials little guys. What is the deal with them pooping everywhere!?! OMG, our patio, the cat tree on the enclosed porch, and our front entry where everybody walks, gross. I'd love to have humming bird feeders again!!!! I'll try this summer but have a bad feeling more bandits will show up :headbang: We've had 2 skunks here, dogs sprayed too many times, finally (couple years apart) he popped them in the buttocks with a BB gun our daughter was given. (it's pretty cute, bright pink realtree :thumbs:). Glad that worked on the skunks.