In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quiet air rifles

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Beetle-Kill, Dec 30, 2018.

1. chris

chris

Thanks, used to be in the biz- smithing and dealer. Got out in the early 90's because of insurance companies policies and that the local main muncipality was waging war on us at the time. I do not believe there is a dealer ( above board) inside the specific city limits of Milwaukee, WI. to this day. Smithing isn't something you make a lot of green backs on, more a labor of love.

2. RCBS

RCBS

To clarify, air rifles were not the target of my post. Oil filter adapters and other home brew 'silencers' were.

Again, I think it's crazy that a sound moderator for a firearm is illegal, but they don't let me make the rules. Would love to see a frivolous lawsuit against the BATFE over hearing loss due to moderators being restricted. Earmuffs? Those don't work when hunting. It's fairly well illegal to not have a muffler on a car...why? Shouldn't noise mitigation also apply to firearms?

3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Stoeger has arrived. After a brief cleanup, put 22 pellets through it. All the noise is from the spring mechanism, the muzzle is almost silent. Tried my Crosman Storm XT in .177 in the same area, it seemed a bit quieter, in the spring only. Took the Stoeger outside, held it at arms length sideways and shot into the hillside. All you hear is the spring. Pellets were 14.3 gr so maybe the heavier ones I have coming will tone that down but I doubt it. I'll set up the trap outside and shoot it a few more times before I come to any conclusions, but right now- I like it.
    Keep you updated. JB

FatBoy85, XXL, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Quick update- tried some H&N Baracuda's through it, 21.14 gr. As the shooter you hear -"Thoinngg"- from the spring. But go downrange 25', just a Pfft. Had the wife shoot it a few times while I was downrange, it was quiet enough to be tolerable in an urban setting. Turn on a radio, you'd never hear it. He should like it.
    Can't comment on accuracy, I'll tackle that with mine. JB

5. chris

chris

Springers take a bit of practice to master due to the reverse recoil and the torque of the spring. Trying to shoot them from a benchrest is almost impossible to get any sense of accuracy from them. They also have a habit of tearing scopes apart internally do to that reverse recoil.

6. In the Pines

In the Pines

If not familiar with the artillery hold , look it up, basically the best way to hold and shoot a springer for accuracy.

FatBoy85, brenndatomu and Beetle-Kill like this.
  7. XXL

XXL

You can download sound meter apps to smartphones if you want to get some numbers to compare .

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Old thread I know. I seem to be champion of resurrection but I'm interested in past topics. Back then I was less involved in wood collecting and being on here in general.

9. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have a Hatsan that I really like. I got it Maybe 2+ years ago and already, I see that the new rifles out have a lot of upgrades. They have a "qe" barrel which in their description is an internal suppressor. That is supposed to cut noise by 50%. I didn't know that was included when I bought it but i am glad mine has it. I will attest that my non-firearm lead launcher is very quiet. The only thing that may make it quieter might be a trip to auto-zone.