In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Questions about replacing the baffle in a 1993 Pacific Stove?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lastmohecken, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I own a Pacific brand stove, which I bought new in about 1995, not 1993 like I first said in the topic heading. I have been burning it all of these years, with good results. It's a small stove, takes about 18 to 20 inch long splits max, and is front load. I know it's not a CAT stove, and has a baffle in the top of it, with some kind of rock wool insulation laying in it.

The stove is still in really good shape, and I replaced some of the fire bricks last year on the sides, but the bottom and back were still good. However above the fire bricks there are some bent (formed angle pieces) that are starting to get burnt up towards the front of the stove and I can tell the baffle could stand replacement. Upon inspection, it looks like the baffle and supporting steel could be replaced, without having to cut the stove apart, but I am not sure, and don't want to start this project this year, so close to burning season. I think I can make it another year, but I probably should start considering fixing it or getting a new stove.

I think it's worth fixing. My question is do you think I can still get the needed parts for this stove, baffle, new support angles, etc.? And can it be swapped out from the inside of the stove? It looks like there is a removable angle held by a pin in the back of the stove, that would come out first, but like I said, I don't want to open up this can of worms this season, but I think I should consider doing something when I get done burning this coming spring.

I was a fabricator for most of my life, retired now, so I know I could make new angle support parts if I had to, and maybe even the baffle but was hoping I might at least buy a new insulated baffle. The baffle plate itself, looks like it is probably stainless steel or inconel, or it would have burnt up a long time ago. I am sure there are probably people here who have already done this. Just looking for starting point.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Here's some pictures of the inside of the stove, showing the baffle and formed angles.
    STOVE LEFT SIDE BURNT OUT ANGLE.jpg STOVE RIGHT SIDE BURNT OUT ANGLE.jpg STOVE BACK VIEW.jpg STOVE FRONT VIEW.jpg

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

And another question: I watched a video where someone hooked up a flex drier vent hose to the back of his stove over the round hole in the back to provide air from outside, instead of room air. So, while I was looking at my stove recently, (I guess it only took me 25 years to notice it) I see that there is a cover plate over that hole in the back of the pedestal and a little sticker that says "REMOVE COVER FOR ROOM AIR", but it's never been removed. I have been burning it all of these years with the cover still in place. I had it professionally installed when new, and I may be imagining it now, but I think I asked about that, back then, and was told that it was better to leave it in place for some reason. But I am not sure.

Should this cover be removed? It's setting on a pedestal with an ash pan which I don't use, and the little damper is down there to feed it air, and the air obviously gets in there anyway. I hate to remove it now, not knowing for sure, as it's apparently worked fine all of these years.

STOVE BACK SIDE VIEW.jpg

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

5. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, I have already figured some of it out. I have a Super 27 and I can get all of those parts, it looks like, but they are expensive. I am inclined to make the side rails as they are nearly $200 alone, and the baffle plate, etc is nearly $400. At least the little pin in the back is only about 5 dollars. May be cheaper to find a good used stove on Facebook or something, but I do like this stove. I am surprised they still make parts for it, but I guess they do. I guess if I fix it once, it will quite likely probably out last me, though.

Horkn, Biddleman and brenndatomu like this.
  6. moresnow

moresnow

Sounds like your stove has served you well. I'd be at least seriously considering a new version. I have a hard time throwing much money at something that appears rather ....... Well used! Just a opinion. Good luck either way.

Horkn, blacktail, Highbeam and 2 others like this.
  7. coreboy83

coreboy83

I do know that the side rails and baffle are made of 304 stainless. I think they are all interchangeable. One might fab some new rails, but I would buy a new baffle. And the needed insulation kit that goes on each side of the baffle. I know the baffle gasket, that meets the steel tube running up the back of the stove can be a bugger

Horkn likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No kidding...I am surprised it has held up as well as it has if that's 304...I would have expected 409, or something like that...especially for the cost!

Horkn likes this.
  9. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, or 410 stainless. I used to build burner tubes out of type .409 / .410 stainless pipe and Inconel elbows for industrial applications. I will probably just buy the rails, although I could still get regular type .304 or maybe .316 from where I used to work. But I don't know if it's worth the trouble, now. However, I could probably get it done for free if I asked the right people. But I would need to draw it up first, etc. If it was hot roll materials, I would probably just weld it up out of some scrap I already have. I will probably just buy new rails, unless I decide to get a new stove, but the rest of the stove is in pretty good shape.

10. mirnldi

mirnldi

11. mirnldi

mirnldi

The interior of your 1995 looks identical to my 2015 super 27. You can probably do better on the prices in the links I sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    brenndatomu likes this.
  12. mirnldi

mirnldi

13. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Thanks, that's pretty typical of the prices I have found.

14. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, it looks like counting tax, I am going to be knocking on the door of 600 dollars to replace all of the parts. And a new Super 27 will end up costing me a little over 2 grand after tax. After looking at my stove again and also looking at some 27's for sale on Face Book with price tags of around $600, and they are in a lot worse shape then mine, I think I can easily make it another year without doing anything. I think I am just going to run as is for another winter. Then maybe upgrade to a new stove, and probably sell mine.

Gives me time to think about it, who knows? A deal might come along.

Horkn likes this.
  15. mirnldi

mirnldi

I would buy replacement side plates and a new baffle instead of buying a new stove

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Because of the difference in price? Of do you think the older Super 27's were better made?

17. mirnldi

mirnldi

I don’t see any difference between yours and mine. Run it!