In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Question on Mold?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jerry, Sep 14, 2018.

1. bear 1998

bear 1998

Would that mean......you would end up with pickeled wood?:wacky:

2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Ya think it might work on the other wood?:emb::binoculars: :D:p

3. Maina

Maina

That depends on the materials the mold is on. On a solid surface it removes it completely but something porous might still show stains, like wood.

Spirit of Two Socks and Marvin like this.
  4. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Great thread, and am with you my fellow NJ, PA, and Maryland folks with the rain! I've got a bunch of my oak pieces looking like this and many looking a lot worse. Some weird junk growing on them, glad to know it's still good to burn and I def won't be storing any of it inside. .
    20180914_180939.jpg

5. billb3

billb3

Mold and fungi spores aren't going to find the inside of your house environmentally conducive to growth. They won't be releasing spores in Winter.
    I really don't get this paranoia about growths on firewood. It is an outdoor phenomenon.

Bugs I get, but even they don't usually survive the dryness of the inside of a house.

6. Maina

Maina

We’ve been bringing wood in the house for years without any issues. But it’s always dry, and most of the bark is gone and if I find a piece with bugs in it I leave it outside for the fire pit. I knock fungi off with my hands if I see it and don’t worry about the rest. The wood area gets cleaned as it’s emptied out so it’s a fresh start each time.
    I agree that mold spores are everywhere and there’s no preventing that, and they need the right conditions to grow. Now if you’re bringing unseasoned wood into a damp cellar you’re gonna have a problem. We keep our entire house as close to 50% RH as we can most of the time with little effort and we just don’t have mold unless someone piles a bunch of clothes against an outside wall in a closet in winter and leaves them for several months. :hair::headbang:The good news is it cleaned right up with vinegar and a little soap and water.

7. BeechNut

BeechNut

Bad year for mold and fungi here as well. Ive got some crazy stuff growing on some 3 year old oak. Some of it is very orange, and a very pretty purplish white.

8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I've got that on some of my rounds as well, that purplish white stuff, it is pretty looking for sure!

9. BeechNut

BeechNut

That's exactly the orange stuff I have as well. Most of it is concentrated on sections of the stacks that stay wet a little longer after rains.