In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quadrafire Contour pellet stove buz at 20? CSS?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jan 9, 2014.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    H
    Hey Thanks Smoke! I noticed that in wiring diagram the cap is on the vacuum switch and not the auger motor like the newer Santa FEs. That means it may be located near the vac switch instead!
    I will look again. I would like to change that 1st !
     
  2. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hey Smokey.

    Can't find an external capacitor anywhere! It may be in the metal box where the reset button is. See pic below.
    The red wires from the vacuum switch go right into the wire harness and right into the metal box.
    The metal box is riveted together and is not made to be serviceble.
    Maybe that is why the new motor comes with an external cap? If the one in the sealed box opens up, then it is no big deal?

    See pics below
    Click to Enlarge
     

    Attached Files:

  3. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    I don't know where it is located, just that it must have one, and Quad feed systems have been know to be flakey once the cap goes. The value is even on the motor makers plate in those pictures and it is shown in the schematic.

    Hey, aren't you the service guy? I'm just a lowly pellet stove cleaner and general PITA.
     
    343amc and jtakeman like this.
  4. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Yes I work on stoves, but every stove is different! Thanks for your help. When I was at my supplier, they did not have any capacitors in their warehouse. So since the stove is 14 years old, I put in a new motor and it did come with a cap. The specs on a similar mot does work when or do say 14 Deg F for the Low Spec.
    The old motor I put a test cord on it so I really think it is the cap but I am sure it is in that rivited switch box. So there is no harm in putting an additional external cap on the motor and I believe that is why on the newer stoves the caps are external and can be changed more easily.

    So, from the pics below you can see that I ended up using the old mounting bracket and the new screws off the new mounting bracket. Also it takes a few screws, a wire brush and some PB blaster to crack both the auger set screw and the auger collar set screw. Then it really helps to have a magnetic phillips screw driver to get the auger assembly bolts off the stove's auger chute without dropping them down into the stove! ! ! LOL

    Csae Closed, the shed stove starts at 26 Deg F. Maybe not every stove can, so I will recommend a Quad for any shed or cabin that is not well insulated or just heated occasionally ! ! ! Nice to know!
    See pics
    Click to Enlarge
     

    Attached Files:

  5. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    Nice, this will be good information to have in my quiver. Thanks Don and glad you got it figured out.