In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pulled the trigger !!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by JB Sawman, Sep 13, 2022.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Inamed it ELMO "FEED ME ELMO" :rofl: :lol: jb

yooperdave, Farmchuck and brenndatomu like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey Just a update I do have a good coal bed now I cannot believe how little wood this boiler uses maybe 6-8 splits a day I have let it go 16 hrs between loadings It was changing the fire controller that took care of not being able to keep the fire going and the bed of coals (used some hickory and locust) makes the new splits light right up as soon as the blower kicks on JB

3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I cannot believe how many people come in my shop and when they pass the furnace on the drive their first comments are usually Hey you bought one of those outdoor stoves you can burn anything in them even pine !!!! and they tell me of somebody they know who has one and they burn their garbage, tires (They smash them in a log splitter and wire them so they will fit in the door :headbang::doh: another customer said his brother burns oil filters in his :hair: it is no wonder these boilers got a bad rep but I do feel so much better now that I can burn pine :rofl: :lol: JB

4. lukem

lukem

Pine will set your chimney on fire, even in an OWB. Facts.

JB Sawman likes this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You have a chimney fire with a gasser, you're doing it wrong...:rofl: :lol:

JB Sawman and theburtman like this.
  6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have never had a chimney fire in 45 years of burning wood I have burned all kinds of wood including pine if it is dry wood and you clean your chimney regularly it does not happen . Fact

7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Well heating season is approaching the end I am considering keeping the boiler running to make hot water and get rid of the sawmill slabwood which has been stacking up for several years I only check it once a day now and it uses very little wood just wondering if anyone else keeps theirs running maybe pros&cons thanks JB

campinspecter and brenndatomu like this.
  8. campinspecter

campinspecter

I, ve run our system steady for 40+ years only burns a cord begging in May through end of September ! No condensation problems , no circulators that seize , no leaks from shrunk gaskets .

9. Creekin

Creekin

This year I've been making a fire in the early evening and will let it go out till the next day, like a batch burn
    Previous years kept it going due to the fact I wasn't working from home, but small loads

JB Sawman likes this.
  10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Thanks for the input I was kinda thinking that like anything else it is better to keep it working JB

campinspecter likes this.
  11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Thanks for the reply I have been checking every 24 hrs and I only have to put in a couple of small splits JB

campinspecter likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem

I batch burn mine in the summer. Light it around noon, let it hit 180 and turn it off. That's plenty of hot water for showers and dishes in the evening. It gets pretty gunked up if it idles all summer.

13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Thanks for the input!! I noticed that it is getting more residue in the firebox the reburn chamber and the rest are just grey dust still and the chimney is clean it did get cool again 30's at night so it did clean itself up some

Farmchuck likes this.