In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pulled the trigger !!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by JB Sawman, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

Good for you. My favorite moments is to be out pre sunrise on a bitter cold day, loading the boiler. So quiet and peaceful. Then coming inside to a house that is as warm as I wish it to be.

2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Furnace is expected Jan 6 at the dealer got the call yesterday :banana:JB

3. Wingshooter

Wingshooter

I ordered my replacement central boiler in October it's supposed to be here in February

Gasifier, JB Sawman and yooperdave like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

dang shortages......

5. Gasifier

Gasifier

Great thread man! Furnace in yet?

JB Sawman and fuelrod like this.
  6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Furnace arrived today got dark by the time I got it set in place I hope to finish install tomorrow and get a couple of pictures I thought they were shipping on a pallet it came with just a lifting eye on top a little to high to lift off the truck with the skid loader but I still have my customers log truck here so I got it off the truck with that JB

7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Finally it is up and running no leaks in the piping !! took a little while to fill my well does not have a lot of reserve took@150 gallons to fill the system it did smoke a good bit on startup I used some kiln dried pine to get it up and going added some ash to keep it going .I was surprised how fast it heated that much water @1 hour and it was up to temp and there is hardly any smoke now that it is heated up .I will try a update tomorrow after a 24 hr run. the total cost came to 16300.00 with myself doing all the install, plumbing, electric etc JB DSCF2089.JPG DSCF2091.JPG

8. fuelrod

fuelrod

Congratulations JB!
    I missed it if you mentioned "how" your using the hot water. Do you have baseboard or are you blowing air through a coil ?
    Will you be getting domestic hot water also?

brenndatomu and JB Sawman like this.
  9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have a heat exchanger (Water to Water) hooked to the oil burner boiler with a circulator I have the old cast Iron radiators in my house and I have a second water to water hooked in to the hot water heater inlet line I hope to cut my electric bill for hot water . I hope to give a progress report tomorrow it is not real cold here so I hope the fire stays lit JB

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Congratulations! But using pine for the break-in fire will only lead to a chimney fire....:p

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Well the first update I had trouble keeping the fire going dry ash and locust in the boiler I finally adjusted the fire controller to a 15 minute pulse from 30 minute interval and it seems to be working . I have not burnt a full wheelbarrow of wood since startup ,it is not real cold also rainy which may have something to do with it ?? The other issue is when the thermostat calls for heat the oil burner is still running the circulator to the heat exchanger is working and the boiler is staying at 175 degrees I guess I have to put a separate switch on the burner?? any thoughts on this problem . on the up side the hot water side is working great !! I shut the electric off on saturday and 2 loads of wash and 1 dishwasher load and still had plenty of hot water JB

12. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Keep us posted JB. I’m still figuring out our new Heatmaster gasification boiler. It’s getting better but definitely a learning curve from our old conventional boiler. It does look like we will burn substantially less wood. Time will tell. What part of Pennsylvania are you in? I’m in Northeastern Pennsylvania about 12 miles southeast of Scranton. Start of the Pocono mountains.

brenndatomu, fuelrod and JB Sawman like this.
  13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I am in SE pa Chester county yeah it is a huge difference from the clatyon wood eliminator in the shop I will keep updating JB

14. fuelrod

fuelrod

Can you set the oil Burner about 10* above the wood boiler? There's probably a little lag time between the 2 units (simple distance) and you want the WB to "get the call" before the OB.

JB Sawman and Farmchuck like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You probably don't have a real big coal bed built up yet, do you?
    Coals are the spark plug that fires a gasser...gotta keep coals over the nozzle...

16. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I did some checking and the control on my oil burner will fire the oil burner as soon as the circulator starts I just put a switch inline on the burner and if I need the backup I will turn it on a little crude but it works until I can identify the control it is a honeywell put the number sticker is long gone from the cover I will keep you updated JB

brenndatomu and fuelrod like this.
  17. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

No not a coal bed yet it has hardly used much wood yet I have not checked it tonite yet it is still burning with what I put in yesterday JB

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Well the good news the boiler stays lit now with adjusting the controller and I put a switch on the oil burner to isolate it from the circulator and everything is working good this is sure a change I think I have burned a wheelbarrow of wood in 2 1/2 days the clatyon in the shop eats 3 full wheelbarrows a day amazing difference JB

Sourwood, fuelrod and brenndatomu like this.
  19. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Day 5 house is a warm 75 degrees that stove is just like a government worker it spends most of its time loafing :rofl: :lol: everything is working well the old stove in the house was a Home Heater made in vermont and it ate more wood in 2 days that this has used in 5 JB

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like the old stove was misnamed...should have been "chimney heater" :rofl: :lol:
    Glad to hear it's working out :thumbs: