In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Proud Pappy

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Mykidsdadd, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Ask away here or PM one of us mods for help- I’m available anytime.

2. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

yeah , I use to sell quite a bit but anymore very selective. A couple guys at work and a long time repeat guy. Honestly, got tired of dealing with people, wanting something for nothing. I started telling people that asked for wood that they can come to the woods at 6am on Saturday and have half of everything we get. No takers... especially when I tell them that the tree we fell, split and stack needs to sit in the yard for 3 years before they burn it. most don’t realize the work that goes in to a load of split ready to go firewood.

amateur cutter, Ron T, mat60 and 11 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Maybe amend the thread title to attract the firewood entrepreneurs.:handshake:

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I thought about this, but with Mykidsdadd post right above yours, I’d say he’s on top of things.
    :yes:

5. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

She got her first trailer loaded for delivery tomorrow when I get off work. This should be 3 face cord, a little extra actually. I told her to always give a customer the best wood you have and a little more than they are asking for. 10 extra sticks is nothing for us but if they see there rack fuller than expected they will call ya back every time and there is no risk of it being unfair to them this way. We will take another load like this and a full truck bed in a day or two. 6D22D1BB-C341-4B50-B6C1-994A3A6905F1.jpeg FAD7FE58-2287-4D3A-A01A-D7922FD8EF06.jpeg

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Outstanding thread! So cool to see the desire to do real work in your daughter. Looks like you are well on your way to a fun endeavor that includes precious time spent with her.

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

How long is your trailer? We used to haul on a similar trailer, stacked about 16" high, 16' trailer was a cord, had to pile it up a little in the middle.
    This is a little over a cord stacked in the shed and on the trailer... IMG_20171213_162119824.jpg
    IMG_20171213_183456.jpg
    Looks like she did a fine job. I like the way she put splits upright to hold the wood. Good thinking

8. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

16’ trailer. She has 8 rows at about 17-18” tall. Couple in the middle are a little taller. Sounds about right at a cord. Here they sell in what they call a “Rick” which is basically a face cord. Most folks sell about 16-18” wood , ours averages about 22” I would guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2021
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Sounds about right. I think we had 9 rows of 18" wood on our trailer

10. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

She got her first load delivered and second loaded. We will deliver in the morning. He asked for another 3 face cord so she is gonna net 675.00. She is expecting to split the money with me for all my time and fuel etc but I think after it is said and done I will give her all of it. She is busting her behind on the deal. 00B57DF5-8E74-416A-ADDC-49FDD3A6DEEE.jpeg

11. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

She got her last of it delivered today, he bought one more for his house he will pick up next week. She made 750 bucks total and we went and opened her a bank account with it. He wants 10 more if we can come up with it and will take green stuff so may go ahead and fell the big oak and let her move some of that in the next few weeks.

12. jrider

jrider

That’s awesome. My kid started a firewood stand a few years ago and even though we live in a neighborhood, he does very well just selling $5 and $10 stacks which yields way more $$ per cord. Keep up the great work!

13. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

That’s awesome, I have entertained the thought of a gas station but a lot of variables there.

14. jrider

jrider

Build a stand in front of your house. You’d be surprised how well it will do

15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Both of these are good options. My grandson and I do firewood bags at the local pizza place in the tourist season. Much better money and it moves fast in the warmer weather. Local campgrounds etc. Averages about 1K per cord & busy weekends it's pretty common to do around a cord.

16. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

We are out a ways in the country. I could be wrong but I would be shocked if people stopped out here to get a bag. Maybe worth a trial run though. I always wanted to load a trailer full of bundles and camp out at some of those fancy apartments with fireplaces, they don’t have the room to store wood and bet they would eat it up.

17. jrider

jrider

Being in a neighborhood, I didn’t think he would sell anything and it was slow at first. My wife and I posted pictures of him working and his stand on a few of the local town Facebook pages and it took off. Literally 1,000’s of people in our area know who he is. We are sometimes just referred to as “Robbie’s” parents by strangers. Haha. It’s really cool.