In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

I have conveyor belt over the top so that should be plenty strong and could do the same below. Starting to wonder about steel cable with some turnbuckles to tighten it down, or just steel cable with loops just above the pallet. Then straps over the stove. I'm also thinking of picking up some stronger straps for it. If memory is correct, Woodstock just used steel banding but I don't have that around.

Chazsbetterhalf and NVhunter like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Oh I hear ya...I have a hard time believing it too, but the guy is no dummy...he pulled off clean burn wood furnaces when NOBODY else was even thinking about it, and all this on a shoestring budget in a 2800 sq ft factory!! (a garage basically...actually an old creamery) and now they are 1 of 2 wood furnace MFG's left standing...and the second one openly admitted how hard it was to pass the emissions test, meanwhile Lamppa blew by the max limit by 40%! (40% lower...which was previous considered almost impossible with a 4+ CF updraft firebox, and no cat)
    I've done a good bit of research on it and there seems to be some validity to his argument about needing some moisture to make "combustible fluids"...if you look up large gasifying chip boilers, they don't want their fuel too dry either, for the same reasons.
    I would tend to agree with your cat stove not liking the extra moisture though...but really can't say for sure, cats eat smoke, and wet wood makes plenty of that! I'm sure there is a balance there somewhere though.
    As for your green cat, its an oak thing IMO...I've had oak that turned the whole inside of the furnace a light shade of green...St Patty's day flyash! :rofl: :lol:

Chazsbetterhalf and Rush Battle like this.
  3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

That should hold it.

Attached Files:

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:yes:

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  5. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Dropped off this morning at SAIA. Magic 8 ball said it will arrive safe and sound.

Chazsbetterhalf, Eckie and NVhunter like this.
  6. NVhunter

NVhunter

My stove is in Harrisburg, PA according to the tracking update. It said it should have been delivered today but they haven't updated the tracking since yesterday. Stove has traveled 2,554 miles so far, another 438 miles to Woodstock and then back home once finished... Only 2,836 miles... Ill probably have the most traveled stove around... 3 trips of 2,836 miles = 8,508 miles...!!!:eek::hair:

7. NVhunter

NVhunter

Good morning. I got my Ideal Steel back last week and placed it back on the hearth on Saturday. I put all the parts back on as I was instructed to remove all removable parts (door, leg panels, cook top ect.)

The door stayed home while the body went to get repaired. The door was tight and sealed well before the repair, however after the repair the door has play in it between the stove face and the door's gasket now.

Question is, I ordered a new gasket from Woodstock but if I don't need a new one yet can I tighten up the door by adding a thin washer between the outside of the door and the handle, as that's where the pressure from the latch would increase with an added washer... Or just replace the old gasket and see if it is sealed up...? 20210729_064804.jpg 20210729_064843.jpg 20210729_064922.jpg

8. moresnow

moresnow

Are you by chance the first here to post a pic of a repaired/returned stove? Interesting looking repair. Have you by any chance put a level across and around the opening/face to see how true the mating surface is?
    It sure looks like you could shim between the door and the door handle to increase closing pressure? Is there a procedure outlined in the manual?
    Glad to see they are getting these back out. Keep us up to date as you figure it all out.

9. NVhunter

NVhunter

I believe several other owners have had their stoves repaired and returned over the last few years. I haven't placed a level on the face of the stove but will after I get home from work. I think a thin washer between the handle and the door face will add that little needed pressure to seal it up. I'll keep everyone posted.

10. NVhunter

NVhunter

I took a 1/2" washer and put it between the larger flat washer and the handle. Tightened up the door and looks to have sealed the gasket back up nicely.

Easy quick fix, but the final result won't be known until I fire up the stove again. 90 to 100 degree weather right now so I'm months away from that... 20210729_192924.jpg 20210729_192954.jpg 20210729_192959.jpg

raybonz, Eckie, billb3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. moresnow

moresnow

Looks like it worked out nicely. Let us know how the level checks out. Curious.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

try the dollar bill test

raybonz, brenndatomu and moresnow like this.
  13. NVhunter

NVhunter

Here's a photo with a 24" aluminum level up against the area where the door gasket seals. The steel isn't flush and dips into the stove body an ¹/⁸" or so... Still, it seals well with the extra washer between the door face ans and handle. Given a free fix that will allow the stove to be around for many more years, I'm okay with it.

I'll do the dollar bill test later and see how that goes, but I think the stove door seals well again. 20210731_122009.jpg

14. moresnow

moresnow

Thanks for the follow up. I was curious.

NVhunter likes this.
  15. Hoytman

Hoytman

I wouldn’t call it fixed until after this winter insider and you have zero issues. My luck is the stove would have to be replaced...and that’s just how my luck goes. Hoping yours is better.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mine has had another 5 cord thru it since September 2020. Looks and works like new!

Hoytman likes this.
  17. Fireking

Fireking

I sent in my IS mid May and have not heard a thing from Woodstock. I know their backed up with repairs and are most likely short handed. I am eager to get it back for this fall! It is a great stove that my family enjoys a lot.

18. NVhunter

NVhunter

What issues have you had with your stove? The tear in the steel near the top hinge? Other issues too? The tear in the steel was my only problem. My sled and everything else was fine, however Woodstock replaced all of those parts too and gave me a new radiator as well, all updated parts from the area around the catalyst...

Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.
  19. NVhunter

NVhunter

Call Lorin and ask for an update. She should be able to give you a heads up on where the stove is at. They told me in June they were finishing up the new builds and were getting ready to start the repair stoves. I got an email July 6th saying the stove was repaired with photos of the repair, and she asked if the stove repair appeared satisfactory. It was crated up and sent back after that. SAIA freight however hit the stove with something on the cat engagement arm bending it... Luckily it didn't damage the guts of the stove and I was able to straight out the arm...

20210724_101044.jpg 20210724_101026.jpg

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. Fireking

Fireking

Yes, crack at the upper hinge.

FC3BEDF1-CC7A-4C94-88B1-BA6946BE8A1A.jpeg

After seeing your stove sent back with shipping damage I hope Woodstock ships mine back with the handle removed like I sent it in.
    211A91B0-9538-49B2-A159-22A0BBDF3C82.jpeg

raybonz and NVhunter like this.