In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. chance04

chance04

That's how mine appeared in the beginning

Wade likes this.
  2. NVhunter

NVhunter

Yeah I kind of figured that it's coming as that indentation is a definite change in the steel right there. I guess its just a matter of time now.

chance04 and Wade like this.
  3. Wade

Wade

I keep looking at that spot constantly, however, I do not ever burn more than 2-3 days in a row, before things warm up to the point of not needing it to full time.

chance04 likes this.
  4. NVhunter

NVhunter

Just looked at it again, and the crack is just starting at the door edge.... Maybe a 1/32" at this point but still there and will only grow now... I sure hope Woodstock keeps honoring the fixes they've been doing...:(

Camber, chance04, Wade and 1 other person like this.
  5. BDF

BDF

Yeah, that crack is a stress fracture, and the visual line in the steel that shows up before the crack is the direct result of too much stress.

Of course I cannot and will not try to speak for Woodstock but unless something pretty big changes, I think they will continue to repair these stoves when they have this problem. I have no knowledge of their intentions or operation but as a customer, I can see a long line of excellent customer service and I just assume it will continue on. I think all of the stoves repaired were beyond warranty so of course it is only great customer service that repaired them so far.

6. NVhunter

NVhunter

Here's a closer, and clearer set of photos. 20210114_181440.jpg 20210114_181309.jpg 20210114_181252.jpg

7. Slocum

Slocum

Camber likes this.
  8. NVhunter

NVhunter

I purchased the stove in November of 2015 and started burning within two months of that, so January of 2016 most likely.

So this is 5 seasons approximately of burning. I usually don't burn 24/7 but as of the last month and a half I have since our NG furnace needs repair.

Buzz Benton and Camber like this.
  9. Slocum

Slocum

I wonder if Woodstock is being proactive on any repairs or you have to wait till the stove cracks.

10. NVhunter

NVhunter

That's a good question, I haven't heard of any proactive fix for this issue. Not sure but its too late for me. Maybe something to ask them in an email later in the spring when they'll have more time to respond.

11. NVhunter

NVhunter

Stephiedoll , If I recall your stove has suffered the same crack correct? What was Woodstock's stance on fixing the stove? Owner pays for freight shipping to and from their factory? Anything else?

Buzz Benton, Camber and Stephiedoll like this.
  12. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

When I called them two years (or so) ago the fix was to drill a hole to stop the crack. Then have someone weld it. They also sent me a piece of square stock to weld to the back of the place where it was cracking. They told me to have them directly invoiced, or they would reimburse me if the mobile welder would not invoice them.
    The other option was shipping to them but we did not discuss payments...

Buzz Benton, Slocum and Camber like this.
  13. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Stove is still cracked as I procrastinated too much last year. Agreement was that I need to get it the trucking dock, as I picked it up there, and they would take care of shipping and repairs. By the time I got it loaded they got slammed, and since I can live without the stove told them to take care of other's first. Plan on working with them a a couple months to see about a timeline sending it in. On the plus side, never drilled a hole and the crack seems to have stopped spreading. They are quite the stove.

Buzz Benton, Slocum and Camber like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I never drilled mine either.. it’s better now!

Stephiedoll, Slocum and Camber like this.
  15. NVhunter

NVhunter

Thanks for the update. I was curious about the shipping as I live 2800 miles from the Woodstock factory. To ship it to the factory and back I'm 3/4 of the way to the cost of a new "bare bones" ideal steel... About $780... one WAY. You can do the rest of the math. :emptywallet::makeitrain"

I also don't really want Woodstock to eat that whole price either. I'll call them and speak with them later in the end of the winter and see what they say.

Slocum, Buzz Benton and Stephiedoll like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Not sure if this would be an option or not, but if you have a Fastenal store nearby, and can crate up the stove and get it to the store, they have their own trucks and will ship items for customers to help offset the cost of running only partially full trucks...its about half the cost of standard trucking costs, might even be less since you are pretty far away. The other thing is that there needs to be a Fastenal store near the factory for them to deliver to...and Woodstock would have to pick it up...but maybe not, if they are already a customer of Fastenal, the local stores tend to be pretty accommodating to their commercial customers, so maybe they would deliver right to the factory?
    Here is the link Blue Lane Freight | Fastenal I see that they are not shipping between the east and west coast right now due to covid...maybe that will change later in the year?
    They have lots of rules about what they will ship, or not...I know they won't ship "appliances" but they have shipped wood stoves in the past...and I shipped a wood furnace with them, but had to list it as industrial equipment. (well, it was built like a tank, so...;))

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I felt same way NVhunter about shipping, but for me it’s 115 miles one way; so it was feasible to drop and pick up.

Slocum, Buzz Benton and NVhunter like this.
  18. Wade

Wade

Dang, is there such a thing as wood being to dry? My IS is heating like a wild banshee with my super dry Maple, Elm, Oak, etc. (6-7 years). With our high winds and cold the past few days and more expected next week, my drafts are insane. Been limiting loads to 3/4 and 1/2 and loading every 5-6 hours instead of 8-10. Stove is at one notch or less. Not over firing but great output.

May consider a chimney damper about 2’ above the stove to help when temps are single digits and high winds. I know several of the IS owners here have them, how did it work out for you?

life is good and warm.

Mitch Newton likes this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I did on recommendation of Tom Morrissey, Woodstock owner, asked him at open house. Advised him what my draft was measuring at and he said yeah put in pipe damper.

Wade likes this.
  20. Slocum

Slocum

I have one, I only use it a handful of times each year when the wind is 25mph+. My first winter heating with our IS there was two times the winds were really strong and our stove was almost out of control.

Wade likes this.