In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Rich L

Rich L

Do you think the next line of stoves will be perfected from the design flaw ?

Chaz likes this.
  2. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

As I understand it, all new stoves have been updated with the new design that they are incorporating in to our stoves. Should not be a problem for anyone interested in the stoves. As many others have said, this is a great company and I can not believe they are doing the repairs at no cost to us. Just the pain of getting the stove to the truck depot (at least for me).

3. BDF

BDF

I am pretty sure that Woodstock is now, and has been using the new design firebox for the entire last season so this problem should be solved in all recent Ideal Steel stoves. Mine was purchased the very first year they were for sale to the public (not in beta testing) and so has the original design firebox. Woodstock did beta test the stoves very aggressively in the field but again, this problem takes many, many hot / cold cycles to manifest itself and so was just not discovered in a year or so of testing.

Brian

Rich L, Chaz, chance04 and 2 others like this.
  4. BDF

BDF

Yes, one of the stoves' few downsides IMO is the weight. Of course all wood stoves are heavy but this one is particularly so. Woodstock lists two weights for this stove, one is horrible, the other is worse (640 lbs. or over 700 lbs., from their literature). Of course some weight can be eliminated such as the top plate, the door and the side covers but after that it becomes more difficult to take things off of or out of it. Taking the soapstone out of the stove helps but it is kinda' like a Rubik's cube putting it all back together again; my stove arrived with all the soapstone lining in a heap inside the firebox and it took two of us as well as both the drawings and assembly instructions to put them back. Not only do the right stone plates have to go in the right place but they also have to go in 'in order' and then be moved around a bit as sub assemblies to get them all in an affixed in the stove.

I am thinking about filling the stove with helium when it comes back and maybe float it into place on the hearth.... :rolleyes: ;)

Brian

Chaz, thewoodlands, chance04 and 5 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mines out waiting for pick up BDF only 2 guys. Granted mongo does have a chest over 54” 217D944B-3CF9-491D-9FC1-46C4BAF69D08.jpeg 62DBA920-3C8A-48E5-8C36-06904EE2C3AD.jpeg 9E0F15EE-8B94-4848-970A-EBCED5F99233.jpeg

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam

Sad seeing it pitched out “on the curb” as we are starting to see the end of summer.

Chaz likes this.
  7. BDF

BDF

Gotta' be a tough guy- it took four "normal" humans to lift my stove. We don't got a 'Mongo'.

:)

Supposed to go on the truck this afternoon and I have four guys (OK, three guys and one old man) lined up to transfer it to a lift- gate truck.

I can lift one end (1/2 of the stove) but I could not move very far with it and certainly nothing even close to 'walking'.

Brian

8. Warner

Warner

Used to work with a guy that had the Mongo nickname. Dude would get upset about something and literally punch himself in the head multiple times. He was special

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I live 125 miles factory But NO truck!! Tractor will load in truck. Trust me an IS will be in house before 15th of September!

Highbeam, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  10. BDF

BDF

18 Aug 2020, 1:30 PM Woodstove on truck, truck going away. Not quite sure where exactly 'cause this is where the story has that funny little twist: Woodstock Soapstone called Ross trucking, and Ross trucking send the truck to my house. Fine and well. But after we loaded the stove on the lift gate, John the truck driver wanted paperwork from me. ?? ?? I do not have any paperwork? ?? Ross should have generated the paperwork after Woodstock called them. But Ross's dispatcher claimed they did not hear from any company named "Wood stock" or similar. ?? Hmmmmm. So I talked to the dispatcher at Ross, who said he would look into it (not comforting as MY wood stove was on HIS truck and there was no paperwork). So I took photos of both the truck and license plate, as well a John the driver so I could at least point Scotland Yard in the right direction after my stove ends up lost to an international ring of woodstove thief's! Who knows how much a used woodstove, and a cracked one at that, is worth on the Eastern European stove black market!

Anyway, it went pretty slick. The truck backed up to w/in a foot of the porch that the stove was sitting on although about 7" higher cause the lift gate would not clear the decking on the side of the house. Note the gap:
    18 Aug 2020 Lift gate gap.JPG
    18 Aug 2020 Lift gate truck in position.JPG

But between two guys from next door, John and myself, we got in onto the gate safely and really pretty slickly.

Note the lack of important body parts NOT lying on the lift gate; a sure sign of success!

18 Aug 2020 Stove moved to lift gate.JPG

I popped the wood frame off the top, strapped the stove to the pallet and we were 'off like the bride's pajamas'!
    18 Aug 2020 Stove on gate, lifting frame removed.JPG

Then John cheated and used a pallet jack to lift and move the stove to the front of the truck.
    18 Aug 2020 Truck and lift gate barely fit.JPG
    And that is the truck, the driver (John), and the license plate so if any of youse guize see this thing cruzin' around, please alert the media 'cause he is making off with my wood stove!

So if Woodstock gets the stove, and they manage to spiff her up, then the whole thing will come back to me and we can do that same thing, again, in reverse order. Happy times.....

Brian

11. BDF

BDF

Ran into this photo taken before the Ideal Steel was removed from the house. Lots of people have heard of 'cup o' soup' but not very many have heard of 'pot o' cat'. So here is a photo for perusal.
    Pot 'o cat.JPG

For reason(s) unknown, Gizmo likes to climb onto the stove and into the water pot when the stove is cold and the pot is empty. Trust me, she spends a LOT of time making absolutely sure the pot is empty, then she hops in, hangs around and enjoys the view.

Brian

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Generally the truck driver wants/needs a bill of lading...which the initial pickup generates...but in this case, yeah, WS should have sent them the info.
    [​IMG]

Rich L and Chaz like this.
  13. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

We got the stove loaded on a pellet in the garage and sent an email to Mike at Woodstock. Thinking I will used the rachet straps as well to hold it to the pellet. I will still need to get it on the pickup and take it to the transfer dock. At least there are two of us to move that monster around.

Attached Files:

Chaz likes this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Watch how the straps go over any edge...that stove will cut s strap right now...I hauled one 3 miles, on fairly smooth road's, using brand new straps...when I got there one was cut through already! And I had cardboard under the straps on the edges too!
    Don't you have a lift gate to help get it loaded?

Chaz and Rush Battle like this.
  15. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Yes I do, otherwise I would be screwed loading it. Thanks for the advice on the straps. I will need to think about options for it. Wonder it a piece of tin would help? Could also use some of my rubber roofing material. Hmmm...

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Maybe a double layer of rubber roofing?

17. BDF

BDF

I ended up putting the top piece (the piece over the radiator / combustor) back in place before shipping due to the edges of the actual firebox weldment. I also used cargo straps to bind the stove to the pallet; hopefully everything arrives in one piece. Here is to hoping it makes it all the way to NH still attached. :)

Brian

18. Warner

Warner

I think I would be concerned the pallet might “rack” causing the 2x4’s to lay over. Forklift operators can be careless...

19. BDF

BDF

Not sure what you mean. ? Besides, I cannot think of any other way to strap the stove to the pallet.

Unless you are talking about the 2 X 4's on the top of the stove, if so, they were not there when the stove was strapped to the pallet. They were only used as a lifting frame to move the stove outside and onto the truck but were removed before shipping.

As far as people being careless.... well, the stove has the large- window glass on the door in place so if someone gets rough enough with the stove, the glass and then the soapstone inside the stove would almost certainly be broken and / or damaged. In fact when the I.S. arrived at my house the stone inside the stove 'got away' and was in a heap with a corner of one stone scratching the window. I believe what happened is that the entire package (stove inside the crate) was tipped toward the stove's front and the stone got jostled out of place.

The stove is not going that far (from RI to NH) so it should not be handled very much anyway (he says with more hope than belief....).

Brian

Chaz, Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.
  20. BDF

BDF

24 Aug 2020: Just spoke with Tom at Woodstock and they did receive the stove! So it looks like that counterfeit band of stolen stove thieves did not get mine in transit..... at least on the way up there. :)

Brian

Chaz, Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.