In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. T-Stew

T-Stew

Wow yeah I had missed that one, looks way worse! Well I'll try to get ahold of them again, maybe there is hope. Getting the stove back to them would be a nightmare though. It was an epic feat getting that into the house and on the hearth myself, but all the transitions were downhill (from truck into house, then step down into living room).

2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

You may be looking st my stove in the pics with the warped baffle. As others have said, it is they’re busy season, but they will respond to you. Lorin took a couple days to get back to me by email.
    As far as moving that heavy beast around, I strapped a furniture dolly to the stoves and created a series of ramps that eventually got me out the front door and onto my pickup. It can be done! Make sure you strip as much weight out of it before you start.

3. Chaz

Chaz

Question for the IS owners...

Last night and today I've had issues with the primary air adjuster "sticking"

If I work at it, it free's up, but I'm not certain what might be causing this.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  4. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

An you move the lever, or is this something where the level moves but the internal baffle is actually not moving? Creosote leaking?

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  5. BDF

BDF

The lever pivots and moves a flat plate on the left / bottom of the stove. Most likely, that plate is sticking- perhaps a little bit of rust, more likely some foreign debris on or under the plate. You can try lubing it (dry lube such as molybdenum dioxide would be best) but do not use any type of aerosol spray, especially if the stove is running.

You can get a pretty good look at the plate with a mirror on the floor under the stove. A piece of debris may leave a scratch or line to help you locate it.

The plate is removable as I remember but I have never had mine out so really cannot help. A quick call to Woodstock or a look in the manual should be useful.

Brian

6. Chaz

Chaz

I looked underneath and can see nothing out of the ordinary. No debris or anything.

No scratches on the plate that slides either.

It's almost like the plate kicks at an angle and binds, if I wiggle the lever, it works just fine.
    :confused:

I also see no evidence of creosote, but I didn't think creosote could make its way into that area.

I'll check it again if it sticks and hopefully will see what's up.

Thanks guys.
    :handshake:

7. NVhunter

NVhunter

I'm no expert at all but maybe try blowing light air from a compressor in there and or a shop vacuum to get any type of debris loose and remove it.... just a guess.

:confused:

8. Chaz

Chaz

So far today it hasn't been a problem at all.

Maybe something was in there and it wiggled out.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Chaz Mine was a little sticky last year, my spring cleaning I just took some of the dog hair and dust bunnies out of it works fine this year

10. papadave

papadave

One of these, perhaps?
    [​IMG]

11. BDF

BDF

Sounds like the debris did fall out.

Long time ago, maybe even in this thread, there was a person who had the draft plate bind. I am foggy on the details but as I remember, that person ended up removing the draft plate and found a small piece of solid, hard debris wedged between the plate and the stove bottom; jammed the plate up solid.

I notice mine is getting a little rough and sticky this year and assume it is either a little bit of surface rust or some dust and debris. Nowhere near enough to stop the plate from moving but it takes more effort and 'stutters' now when it moves. I would hit it with some silicone spray but as I mentioned, that is a truly terrible idea if done while the stove is in use 'cause some parts of the spray may be flammable and we can all see where that would be headed. Especially if it was done on a cold stove and did not burn but filled up the intake chambers..... then when starting a fire, there could be what I like to think of as 'a no- cost extra' for us to enjoy :-(

Brian

12. SouthShoreMA

SouthShoreMA

Just got the IS installed. Waiting on building inspector to come give it the okay.

Anyone have break in fire insights.

Its tough to find in this thread as its so long. I have broken in a refractory mortar pizza oven before. I cant imagine this will be harder.

I got the stove there by myself too. (Furniture sliders) and luck that the pickup bed is the same height as my deck.:hair:

Fireplace is in the process of being re done.

This photo is prior to stovepipe being installe . You cant see the liner anymore.

Attached Files:

13. NVhunter

NVhunter

Keep some windows open during the first few break in fires. The paint stinks pretty good. I made really small fires as I was a little paranoid but I was told a medium sized fire will be fine during the break in for the paint. Biggest thing is it just stinks till the paint in good to go.

14. Chaz

Chaz

Oh.. You're gonna love that stove.
    :D

I see you went with no ashpan, that is something I am happy I got.
    :thumbs:

As to the burn-in fire, may wanna do that on a nice weather day so that you can comfortably open windows and doors as needed. Build a small fire.. let it burn nearly out.. build a slightly bigger fire.. continue till it don't smell like :fart::fart:

Three smallish fires bringing the stove up to temp will get rid of 90% of the smell

Welcome aboard BTW
    :cheers:

15. billb3

billb3

monochrome is pretty sharp

16. BigPapi

BigPapi

Sharp stove! Ours is charcoal/black - definitely like the dark look on the IS.

Start with a little pile of sticks, next one a little pile of kindling, third one a couple splits. Let the stove cool in between.

Don't(!!!) touch/rub the paint very hard while the stove is warm for the first few days. It will get tacky at each new temperature high and you can leave permanent marks. Let it go through a few heat/cool cycles before you wipe ash, dust, etc.

17. SouthShoreMA

SouthShoreMA

Thank you everyone!!! Glad we went with charcoal on charcoal. Appreciate the info. Pretty much as i figured. Didnt know about the tacky paint though. :dex:

Building inspector will be here this afternoon. Hoping to fire her up tonight!:cool:

Heres a shot of the tree of life side and the pipe and cleanout tee installed!

Attached Files:

18. SouthShoreMA

SouthShoreMA

Mission successful

Attached Files:

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

20. billb3

billb3

Christened with pine ?

brenndatomu and SouthShoreMA like this.