In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. chance04

chance04

I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My IS heats my home likes this.
  2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

No, not yet, whenever I'm up that way it's for work, and I just haven't had the time to stop when I drive through Lebanon . Though, I may very likely have a visit up there in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on an absolute steel before the sale ends this weekend.

My IS heats my home and raybonz like this.
  3. Hollywood

Hollywood

Pull the trigger you won't be dissapointed! 10697370_852811281419949_1433739350646598680_o.jpg

Twigster, Babaganoosh, milleo and 3 others like this.
  4. Warner

Warner

I had planned to go take a look Saturday until my sister had her baby this week so now we are visiting them instead. Trying to convince the wife to go see sister Sunday. And but a stove Saturday!

My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I wanted the IS, but my wife didn't like the look. I didn't realize that they came standard with a large caliber evil black rifle too! I may have to overrule her.

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Luckily my sister had her baby a few weeks ago.

7. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I like the idea that the steel stoves are custom to anyone looking to purchase. Make up your own artwork, or use what they have.
    If you do choose a WS IS or AS leave yourself some time for them to personalize it for you and assemble.

I can remember when WS was in mass production on their first year of the IS. If you weren't on the list (a low number) you might get it
    by the following spring. I got a very detailed maple leaf (in the profile pic) and we went back and forth with Penny for a couple weeks
    until we were happy with the art. I'm very happy they came through, I enjoy my crimson red Maple leaf

raybonz likes this.
  8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I made it up there this morning. Stopped at the rest area just south of Lebanon and encountered my first IS. They really are a much bigger stove than they appear in the pictures!

My wife wasn't too fond of them from the pictures, but really liked the way you can customize them once we were there and looking at them. Unfortunately, it is just too big for our application. We ended up buying an Absolute Steel in charcoal with the accent pieces in brown.

Now I just need to cut my floor and build a hearth once my old Dauntless sells, or gets moved out. Previous homeowners felt that the R value of the pine flooring in our house was sufficient, and just put the stove on it. :picard:

raybonz, BCB, Unhdsm and 3 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mwalsh9152 congratulations on the new stove.. Woodstock is a great company! a free piece of advice when building your hearth raise it! when you get a bit older it will be so nice to be able to load stove without kneeling down... a few wise oneso taught me that too late:doh:

raybonz and My IS heats my home like this.
  10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I like your idea, but unfortunately, this hearth needs to be cut into the floor so that the stove will be low enough for the entry hole into the chimney. Also, the layout of my house has the hearth in an area where it would be too easy to stub your toe on it walking through.

11. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Every application is different, good luck on your install.
    As far as the AS is concerned, I saw it at the factory the same year the beta testers were running them in their homes and sharing all the good things about them.
    Personally I'm not a fan of the Franklin style but I did find myself liking the raised AS without "wings". The firebox is smaller and I'm sure I would struggle a bit more to heat a 2k sqft home built in 1880.

If you get some time to take a few pics I'm sure the Woodstock folks ( on the forum) would love to see them.
    Congratulations!

12. Warner

Warner

I have a bud with a homemade stove that has 3 foot legs. Small steel firebox like 10"x12". I think it's cool that you don't have to get low to load it but it's pretty top heavy. Cool idea. Safe? Doubt it!

raybonz and Canadian border VT like this.
  13. Warner

Warner

Congrats on the new stove!

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I can see that with a homemade.. but a raised hearth shouldn't effect that.. my Ideal Steel is 700 plus pound stove on highest leg level Available...
    I was moving a recliner.. and fell into stove this summer I'm over 6 foot and 220 pounds .. the stove did not budge.. I guess I'm not tough as steel anymore:rofl: :lol:

15. BDF

BDF

This thread has been dead for a while so must be time to revive it.

The end of last season, I got a new radiator with the SS cover from Woodstock, and at the same time, I put a damper in the smokepipe just above the smoke pipe adapter on the stove. It ran well and I left it alone.

I had modified my original radiator by putting a piece of 2" high steel across the back, making a damper and forcing more of the stove gas forward and around the radiator instead of going straight out the back and up the pipe. The mod. made about a 50 degree difference between the stove top temps. and the smoke pipe temps, raising the stove top temp while dropping the stove pipe (flue gas) temperature. I did not modify the new radiator and just used it stock.

Now that the weather is finally cooling down, I am noticing a definite increase in smoke pipe temps. compared with using the modified radiator. So I will look up the old radiator, grab the sheet of steel from that oen and put it on the new one- this is absolutely a worthwhile addition. I might even 'go nuts' and do a nice job like Hollywood did when he put the damper on his radiator.... but I kind of doubt it. :)

Brian

16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

any pics?
    sounds like a worthwhile mod

Canadian border VT likes this.
  17. BDF

BDF

Yep, post number 1515 in this thread is the original radiator with the mod.

Hollywood did the identical mod. but did a much nicer fabrication job of it, and if asked, he will probably provide a photo of what I think is the better way to do it.

Bear in mind that I am experimenting here so I just kind of cobble things together and try they; the original baffle was nothing more than a bent piece of thin sheet steel, held in place by the bend itself (the ends were caught by the sides of the radiator). Of course after a while of expanding and contracting, it fell out (duh!). So I added a couple of S.S. wires as 'hooks' to hold it in place. Hollywood actually used threaded rod with real nuts (Easy Boys!) to do a much more reliable job.

Also, somewhere in this thread is his report on how it worked for him, which I believe was about identical to how mine worked. He also has thermocouples and a recorder and do can gather burn data and compare it.

On a side- topic, I am still kicking the idea of a piece of glass on top of the stove in place of the original stove top, the stove top shield and the radiator. The only reason I am hesitating at all is I am very unsure of the results and that large piece of ceramic 'glass' is expensive. The radiator mod. was free and I was pretty confident it would have some positive impact on the efficiency of the stove.

Brian

Matt Fine and Mitch Newton like this.
  18. Hollywood

Hollywood

Here is my version. 20150309_173120.jpg 20150309_173150.jpg 51152-44bfd0a4f1b4ef7b47686d9efaac023c.jpg

19. BDF

BDF

And Hollywood already did post his radiator mod. in this thread, post 2163- just found it. He also has burn data displayed in graph form, as do I, again in this thread.

It is a long read but there may be some useful info. in it for new (or even [not- new]) Ideal Steel users looking to tweak a bit more out of these stoves for little to no effort.

Brian

TurboDiesel likes this.
  20. BDF

BDF

And Hollywood posted his photos again while I was posting on where to find the originals. Stupid Internet!

:)

Brian

Matt Fine and Canadian border VT like this.