In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Primitive weapons

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by stihl sawing, Aug 12, 2017.

1. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

They're decent shooters and have a round ball barrel. I can't remember why I got rid of mine. I traded em for something. I done a lot of trading back then.

J. Dirt likes this.
  2. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

well I just seen that's an old listing and has expired. sorry.

J. Dirt likes this.
  3. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That’s ok still fun to look!!! I’ve got to sniff around the smaller local shops I’m thinking. There’s also a guy I used to work with that’s always buying and trading firearms he might even have one.

Chaz and stihl sawing like this.
  4. chris

chris

A lot of the newer stuff has a 1-22 twist not suitable for round ball but good for those sabo loads. I shot competitively for a bunch of years cap and flint - rifle pistol and shotgun . Sold most it off a few years ago , built a few from scratch -no kits - everything has become insanely pricy now days

J. Dirt and stihl sawing like this.
  5. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Just like everything else!!! :mad: Higher price, less quality! I like old stuff, but can’t afford much of it!

stihl sawing likes this.
  6. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Well ordered a .50 cal traditions Kentucky flintlock today! The real question is who’s got one and what powders do they like? Going to toss .50 cal round balls with it.

7. unclefess

unclefess Guest

3f should be fine .490 balls and patch

stihl sawing, Chaz and J. Dirt like this.
  8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

What kind of powder? Black powder is nearly impossible to get around here!:mad:

stihl sawing, Chaz and TurboDiesel like this.
  9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

why?

stihl sawing, J. Dirt and Chaz like this.
  10. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Something about the storage rules... not exactly sure, the gun shop guy was explaining it to me.
    He was talking about true old fashioned black powder and said it has different regulations vs other newer styles.

stihl sawing and Chaz like this.
  11. unclefess

unclefess Guest

real black powder is an explosive ,smokeless powder is a propellant ,this is according to transport/storage rules , there are many black powder substitutes ,pyrodex was the original there are others now ,i use 3f in most everything ,some people say to use 2f in 50 cal and up i try to keep it simple .l even use 3 f to prime my musket ,look around and you will find powder some bass pro stores have it but it is not on display ,you need to ask for it im sure it is overpriced as everything there is ,the other option is mail /online order perhaps you and some friends could place an order together and split any haz.mat. fees ,i buy powder online even with the fees it is cheaper than local prices ,of course i have it shipped to a friend in nh as no one will ship it to the wonderful hellish state of mass ,hope this heips

Chaz and J. Dirt like this.
  12. unclefess

unclefess Guest

13. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Thanks!!! I’ll have to look into the possibility of ordering and getting it shipped. Doesn’t look to be any distributors within 200 miles!:picard:
    I’d only be looking for a little bit to start anyhow. I probably won’t fire it a whole lot.

14. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I see you said 3f in the rifle. Everything I’m seeing is saying that’s pistol powder? I also read that 2f can be temperamental to ignite in a fainter.?

15. unclefess

unclefess Guest

thats why i use 3f in everything .32 ,.45 ,.50 ,.54, .58,.69 and .75 , as i said before i also use it for pan priming flintlocks ,and .44, .45 pistols and .36,.44 revolvers ,i have used 2f in the big bores but have not in years ,we also use 3f in all our blank loads during reenacting events including the priming . be sure to get extra flints ,they vary in quality and a ball puller ,ball starter , powder measure ( never load from the powder can ) a worm, scraper ,and jag . yes 2f is rifle powder generally .50 and up but .32/.36 rifles 3f is commonly used ,3f is small rifle ,pistol/revolver ,4f is flintlock priming and 1f is large bore shotgun/musket ,it is all made the same just ground to different grades of course to fine ,lastly real black powder ignites easier than some of the substitutes .i deal with so many different smokeless powders is another reason i like keeping with only 1 grade of black ,as time goes on and i get older i am trying to minimize my smokeless as well.

stihl sawing, Chaz and J. Dirt like this.
  16. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Well thanks for all the info!!! :handshake:
    Sounds like you’ve got a heck of a collection and your into reenactments!? That’s awesome!

17. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

unclefess thanks again for the link to that shop! I just picked up some 2f,3f,4f and some RS Pyrodex 2f equivalent. My Dad shoots the RS in his so if I don’t like it, it’s got a place to go.

18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Here she is! 06C829B3-86F0-44F6-BF28-34D2A5892FB7.jpeg Might try to send a few with it today.

19. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Did some shooting yesterday with the new flintlock. Seems to whip balls all over!
    What’s the powder charge anyone else is using just out of curiosity? I settled to around 60 grains 3f black powder and that seemed to bring things back in.

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I would very the loads till it gets consistent. Run the whole range and see what happens.

stihl sawing and J. Dirt like this.