In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Price of firewood vs. fuel oil in northeast

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by BDF, Jun 26, 2017.

1. woody5506

woody5506

Yeah the closest I've found from talking to firewood sellers in my area that's actually seasoned is a place that leaves it for a year in log form and a year split and covered on concrete. Everyone else splits in the spring and says it's ready by September.

NYCountry likes this.
  2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

That's three seasoned! Should come at a premium

NortheastAl and woody5506 like this.
  3. woody5506

woody5506

It's just what they say. I wouldn't know because I've never bought firewood but if I had to I would definitely check them out first.

NortheastAl likes this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Bump. Anyone seeing changes with this recent cold snap? Cheapest I can get fuel oil now is $2.469/gal. Not sure of firewood prices..

NortheastAl likes this.
  5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Prices in the past month went from $2.89 down to $2.69 last week, up to $2.99 this morning.

6. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

I'm redundant on this subject. our price yesterday $2.419/ sr.discount. How muck (yes muck) is the insane NY tax on heat???

NortheastAl likes this.
  7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Firewood prices have definitely spiked around here.

bear 1998 and NortheastAl like this.
  8. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Still sitting flat around $195 a cord for split “seasoned” hard wood around Rochester NY. The supply is quite healthy due to the ash borers and a couple nasty storms last year.

NortheastAl likes this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Just talked to dealer, his complaint is not supply, it's driveway of ice. Apparently his insurance goes up with others spillage:jaw:

NortheastAl likes this.
  10. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

With these negative zero overnight temps and crazy winds I’m having to burn oil to keep the pipes from freezing in the basement. I gotta change this single pane windows. Furnace seems to be running nonstop. In two days it warms up so I’ll be back on the wood.

Midwinter likes this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I have double pane windows that are still pretty good.... but not good enough. On our fifth year with the stove and I just installed some window film on a bunch of the upstairs windows a few days ago.... night and day difference at a cost of about $2 per window... can’t believe I waited this long to do it.. now the difference in temp between upstairs and downstairs where the stove is is much less... I ripped a 2x6 on the table saw to box in the window frames making it easier to install the film. In the future I will probably seal the windows up in the beginning of December and rip the film down on April 1. Rather pay Lowe’s than the oil man...

BA3ADC94-4988-48B3-999B-9779A5D7B280.jpeg C2A3DA4E-A0B9-43DD-AAC8-65E810C61947.jpeg

Also have the ThermGuard on the way to the house so we don’t need to manually turn on our FHW system to prevent pipes from freezing... read about it in another forum in the past. Pulled the trigger a couple days ago... sold by bear mountain design if you want to look at it...

these really are some cold temps...:shiver:

NortheastAl likes this.
  12. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I didn’t think those window sealers worked that well. After reading what you said I am going to have to get them. I do have a bathroom window that gets a breeze going through it when the wind is blowing. Got all I can do to keep the house to 68° this morning. Furnace running and sucking up the oil. Now that the sun is up I’m going to light the stove.

13. shack

shack

I know several people that have put those plastic wraps on old drafty windows...not a permanent solution, but made a very noticeable difference in heating/comfort. I have even seen it used on sliding glass doors with very good results. Some folks I know up on Tug Hill have put in window quilts that seal to the side walls and bottom of the window sill when they are pulled down, those are expensive but do an amazing job!

NortheastAl likes this.
  14. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

What goes up....... this is the March contract... likely a while til we see a reduction in price at the consumer level... build in inventories caused the market to become bearish... those who can fend off an oil delivery will be rewarded, at least in the near term...

CBE0F4D7-2E9E-49C8-94C8-8009ED2115EC.jpeg

15. billb3

billb3

sooner or later every bubble pops

now if the cartel would only try to put the US oil industry out of business by flooding the market again ...

NortheastAl and raybonz like this.
  16. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I wouldn’t so much consider this a bubble as a demand driven market fluctuation. Oil at $148 in 2008 was a bubble.... this recent run up of the market was driven by short term demand. At one point early last month almost 10% of the electricity being produced in New England was produced using the same fuel that many New Englanders use to heat their home... and it wasn’t natural gas... so ULSD or a variation thereof being used to heat homes and businesses, to produce some 2000-2500 Mw of electricity and to fuel a transportation system caused a near term shortage and run up of the market...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Stinny, raybonz and NortheastAl like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

18. billb3

billb3

Oh, so the cartel cutting back had no effect on demand ....

NortheastAl likes this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It does just less than the amount in storage, refinery efficiency, refinery maintenance and temperatures in north east in winter as its widely used as Home Heating Oil (HHO). I believe there was a Nat gas problem at same time as those cold temps.

20. billb3

billb3

The price of crude has dropped the same percentage as the stock market in the last several days. No market pressures/demands have changed.

NortheastAl likes this.