In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pretty cool add on winch for a splitter.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Babaganoosh, Mar 31, 2017.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank

Hey Jeff, a pickeroon would keep you from bending over all the time. Best $40 I ever spent!

2. Stinny

Stinny

For me Backwoods Savage Dennis, standing is much easier on my back than sitting. Everyone is different I guess. You're right, splitting vertically allows you to roll huge rounds on the splitter and get it done. Sitting, on a milk crate of course ;), is a good way to do it, as long as sitting works. I like the rounds right at bench height, and having the lift available to re-set big halves without a fight. And, for me, there's that kick of fighting gravity with some kind of nutty contraption I whipped up... :zip: I'd starve if I had to cut firewood for a living... :picard:... way too slow, but that seems to fit me these days.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Ive thought about getting one. When we split vertical the whole time, I have a chair to sit in. At that shed, we were able to use the older splitter to halve or quarter the big stuff, those tongs got a muscle on one side of my back. Better now.

4. bigfrank

bigfrank

A pickeroon is nice for moving those big rounds around. Roll them, flip them, scoot them. All good.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I agree. A pickeroon is an extremley useful tool. Sadly, few know how to use them properly. I really had to laugh recently when I was using a pickeroon to roll some 3' diameter logs. It really was quite easy work. But some young lad saw me and "took over" using brute strength. He got the job done but for sure I could not work like that nor would I if I could. Use the tool. That is why they make tools; to make our jobs easier. But sometimes there is a fine line between tools and gadgets.

6. Backwoods Savage

You would no doubt like this one.
    100_0020.JPG 100_0042.JPG

7. Stinny

Stinny

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I remember this one well!!

9. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

And we're back to lifting the rounds up to the splitter, but if you cut your rounds 10" long they are MUCH easier to lift. At least there's no danger of the splits rolling off onto the ground. I especially like the 2x8 fenders.

Maybe leave the splitter on the ground with a pit to stand in.

I too love my pickaroon, I wouldn't be without one. The same can be said for my cant hook.

My system has been developed around standing. Since I rarely cut on my own property, the rounds arrive already up in the truck. Roll the rounds onto the splitter, throw the splits into the wheelbarrow and roll them to the stack. The one time I tried splitting vertically while sitting, I found myself twisting and reaching trying to maneuver rounds to the splitter without getting up and pulled a muscle in my back. Each person has a different situation and physical condition. The whole point is to find the system that requires the least effort and minimizes the potential for injury. Horses for courses.

10. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

11. Backwoods Savage

Not lifting with the picture I posted. There is a hydraulic lift on the side and you should be able to see it in the picture.

12. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

Yes I saw it. My point was that in some manner the rounds had to be raised from ground level, negating most of the advantages of splitting vertically.

13. Stinny

Stinny

I haven't seen this design before (but I bet someone has done it)... it wouldn't be too difficult to use a cable and pulley set-up, with a quick-release pin... that uses the splitter's hyd ram movement, to lift a rounds tray like the one you showed Dennis. Ever seen one?

14. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

I'm liking this idea! Much faster than a winch, much simpler than a lift with dedicated cylinder.

15. Backwoods Savage

I like that idea but no, I've not seen one. I had not even thought about it Stinny!

16. Stinny

Stinny

Not too difficult to do a 1 to 2 ratio, with the pulley wheels/cable... which will speed the lift cable up X2... obviously, the ram has more than enough pull strength.

17. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

The ratio can be adjusted just by the position of the cable attachment on the lift arm, assuming a lift similar to the hydraulic, not an overhead cable lift. A hook and eye arrangement would be a quick connect/disconnect at the ram. Dude, get the drawings made and call a patent attorney (before I do).;)

18. saewoody

saewoody

Like this?

I was looking for Another one I had seen in the past, but stumbled on this first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Stinny

Stinny

Bingo... had to be somebody who had done it. He does all the R&D for ya too. Speed of the rack seems fine, and doesn't need a X2 set-up. He has it so it goes up and down with every split, which is fine I guess. Could rig a simple pin somehow, on the ram guide, that catches the cable, only when you wanted it. Cool vid.

20. saewoody

saewoody

I’m with Stinny on this. I am far more comfortable standing than I would be sitting. But everybody will have their preferences. The blue splitter Backwoods posted is the ideal setup. But if I recall from other threads one of our members built that. A fine piece of workmanship! Wish I had the ability to build something like that and the room to store it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk