In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Power head for Alaskan mill

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by swags, Feb 14, 2014.

  1. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You can always drive over to my neighborhood and make a deal on this thing. Ad's been up for a month, so maybe he'd be flexible.

    Husqvarna 3120XP - $1000 (Washington PA)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  2. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    A 32 will work with the 460 but stick to logs 18-22" Bigger logs need a bigger saw. You can do bigger logs buts it hard on a saw that size. I will post some milling pics when I get home tonight.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Sweet, look forward to pics. The 460 I have is 82cc so it's slightly bigger than stock. But I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it right now. If I really get into I'll get a 660.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  4. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Go ahead and get the 36" for a small price increase in case you move up to a bigger powerhead and bar. I've got a 30" now and going to get a 56" next.
     
    Oliver1655 and swags like this.
  5. trx250r180

    trx250r180

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2014
    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    701
    i had no problem milling 24 inch wood with a ported 460 ,just keep the chain sharp
     
  6. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    I make my own milling attachments.

    The 440 can play as long as the log isn't too big. Although I have done 30" stuff with it, it wasn't fun nor did it do the saw any good.

    [​IMG]

    The 075 was much better equipped for the job.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    The ported 660 does the job just fine with a 36" bar in 32" cotton wood.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  7. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Looks great, I'm really excited to try it.
     
    mdavlee and DexterDay like this.
  8. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    It's a ton of fun. Dealing with the logs can be a bit labor intensive at times but it's worth it to me. This is my log hauler.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  9. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    What did you do for more oil while milling?
     
    mdavlee and DexterDay like this.
  10. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    Nothing. I have never used an auxiliary oiler. Not that it's the right way to do it but even in the big wood I have never hurt a bar or chain.
     
  11. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Nice rig, here's mine.
     

    Attached Files:

    mdavlee likes this.
  12. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    Firewood. My old truck did firewood. I miss the hell out of that truck.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Oliver1655 and mdavlee like this.
  13. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Dump trailer is something I will have soon
     
  14. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    That is on my short list too.....and a Vermeer chipper........
     
    Oliver1655 and mdavlee like this.
  15. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Nice thing is my brother wants one as bad as I do so we will probably buy one together. We split the flatbed trailer and both use it a lot so would be nice to have the second trailer.
     
  16. Chity_Avatar

    Chity_Avatar

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    319
    A friend of mine owns the trailer. I just use it when I want to. He comes home and finds it missing and I get a text to make sure I am the one that has it. Way easier than owning one myself and cheaper too.
     
    swags likes this.
  17. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    As far as the oiler goes, I looked on Granbergs website and they are recommending it for anything 36" and bigger. Could just make sure the oiler on the saw is open all the way.