In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Potomac Pellets

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Smokinpiney, Sep 17, 2014.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Im not having much luck finding decent pellets in my area (natures own at Lowe's and easy heat at tsc). From what I read the hastings I picked up is kind of picky. I managed to track down a shipment of potomacs coming to a business near me this week. Anyone have experience with these pellets and how do they burn? Thanks!
     
  2. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    I believe they're pine and got decent reviews. I'm sure someone that has burned them will chime in...
     
    will711 and DexterDay like this.
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Whatever you do, don't buy the Nature's own or Easy Heats. Those are the 2 worst pellets I have ever burned.

    Jay or someone who has burned them should be able to give you an accurate review.
     
    jtakeman likes this.
  4. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I have burned them and not half bad IMHO. Decent heat and pretty clean burning. Sister pellet is Independent brand. Southern Yellow pine softwoods. I'd give them an above average 4 star rating!

    I burned Natures own and found them to be on par with something like Stove Chow. Nature's Own is another Premier pellet brand. Its the Nature's Heat by Pennington I'd steer clear of.
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Smokinpiney likes this.
  5. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Those Nature's Own might/should be similar to FSU's.....which I think are a very decent pellet.
     
  6. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Just realized I didn't post this in the pellet bag. Feel free to move it!

    I only bought 2 bags of each brand just to test run in the stove. Neither of them had very good reviews online. The guy getting the potomac's says they're a "premium" pellet and a local stove dealer gets their supply from him so I guess I'll go grab a few bags.
     
    will711 and DexterDay like this.
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That's the way to go test a few of everything you can get your hands on to see what your stove likes :thumbs: then kick back with a few:cheers::cheers:
     
    Smokinpiney likes this.
  8. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I think there's another pellet out there that has a similar name but they absolutely suck. Nature's Heat or something like that. Anyone else seen them?
     
  9. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Yup...Nature's Heat = Pennington's.....I won't EVEN go there after what I went through a few years back with them...
     
    jtakeman likes this.
  10. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I will, Nuts, bolts and rocks. Some even found sand/gravel. Good chit!! :eek:
     
    slvrblkk likes this.
  11. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    When i showed up looking for potomac pellets they guy said " we only sell Independence brand". So i took a look at the bag and they're just rebagged potomacs (southern yellow pine like you said JT and smoke). The brochure they had claimed they're only .35% ash so i grabbed 10 bags to give em a try. I paid $5.68bag, ok deal??
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    jtakeman likes this.
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    A bit pricey ,but for softwoods prolly not bad ,let us know how they work for you.
     
  13. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey