In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Potential Smoker Project (What did I get myself into)

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by ReelFaster, Jul 31, 2024.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Decisions Decisions. Good luck hemming and hawing.

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

Have you called any compressor shops about used tank availability ?

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I haven't! Just casually looking on FB, hard to find thicker tanks.

brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Take the $ and run.
    I understand you might think it is a good project but keep in mind, it’s a big project in itself to do a smoker of that size.
    Today’s prices of raw materials don’t help the situation either.

5. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Old propane tanks out of code are 1/3 the cost of what you were offered. They convert super easy and with only hinge and door flange material required besides your firebox and grating which are needed on any kind of conversion.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Fire box could also be a smaller propane tank mounted like a typical offset smoker.
    My old one I made from a 55 gallon drum had a small propane tank ( I think it was a 40lb tank). It worked but the biggest problem was the 55 gallon drum was too thin and had a hard time holding heat.

7. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Correct, 3/16 should be considered the minimum wall thickness for a smoker that isn’t a fuel hog. If you want some ideas on how to set up a stick burner check out Jambo Pits. His are out of this world, insulated, tuned ect. But his construction methods anyone can mimic.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well without a doubt thickness makes " huge " difference.

I broke down and bought a Lang , it was a little on the pricy side but at the same time it was not as much as some others I was looking at.
    It is heavy to say the least at just under 700 lbs and all 1/4 inch steel fully welded construction. Not a bolt together kit type thing.
    Once it is up to temperature it is more or less on cruise control , don't get me wrong it is a stick burner so a little babysitting is required but well worth it.
    Just wish I had bought it sooner.

Don't hesitate on looking into reverse flow either.

9. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Considering letting it go and putting the $$ towards something like below. I really wanted the challenge of building it my own but this thing is just a beast so dam heavy.

Barebones smoker, shipping is B*&^*tch from Texas but they've come down and getting a quote.

Blue Smoke Smokers - Affordable Smokers for the working man!

brenndatomu, eatonpcat and MikeInMa like this.
  10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Sold!

$800, I do have to drop it off but lives literally a mile away! Should be fun getting this thing off the trailer!

I really was not looking to make $$ on this, I want a big fat thick smoker, but think I bit off a bit more than I can chew.

Gonna give my bro in law and his friend at his old job that facilitated this some $$ and put the rest towards a built smoker.

I touched base with him first as I feel cheesy selling it after he kind of pulled some favors to get for me.

Or who hell knows might find another tank :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: that might be more conducive.