In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Potato fries a little differently

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Woodwidow, Jun 26, 2014.

  1. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,517
    Likes Received:
    95,547
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Has anyone tried this one? It sounds good and I wondered what it would be like over a BBQ.

    1948058_10151916483770872_686531860_n.jpg
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yep, about two nights ago. I've got pics in this forum some place. Had steak that night too.
     
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Oh, you wanted to know how they were. Pretty good, but I cooked them too hot so they weren't done in the middle. Gave them a short sentience in the microwave and all was well.
     
  4. tuneighty

    tuneighty

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    1,670
    Location:
    South Central PA
    I tried them, but won't due them again. Seemed like too much hassle for the result I got. Had the same uncooked result. I will say they made divine home fries in the morning!
     
  5. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I want to try them again over a better controlled fire. They weren't much trouble for me, I had the old lady do the carving.
     
  6. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,285
    Likes Received:
    66,679
    Location:
    IN
    Make them all the time. Microwave them a bit first then bake them..
     
    SKEETER McCLUSKEY and tuneighty like this.
  7. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Love those things. A Bloomin' Potato!
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Ill be trying that WW! Imagine the topping that could go with that! Sour cream & chive..... bacon and cheddar...... gravy...... :)
     
    Chvymn99, savemoney and campinspecter like this.
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,517
    Likes Received:
    95,547
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Went back and found the pic you posted of the potato. It looks real good - too bad it wasn't cooked in the center. Campinspecter is going to try cooking potatoes this way after he finishes firing the boiler tomorrow. I will let you know how they did.
     
    campinspecter and Grizzly Adam like this.
  10. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    I now know what I'm doing tomorrow!;):D

    Its great to have direction in one's life !:rofl: :lol:
     
  11. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    We bake em like that all the time! To get them fully cooked, either nuke em like lukem said or just bake them lower and slower. Also make sure your slices are all the same thickness. That will help cook everything evenly. When it's done i cut my butter in thin strips and lay it over top. Melts right in between each slice :drool:
     
    Well Seasoned and Chvymn99 like this.
  12. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    Yes we have done that a couple times had the same problem with not cooking through in the middle. I would say nuke them or cook them lower and slower as stated before. They do turn out good though definitely worth the little bit of extra trouble.
     
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    They turned out good tonight. Put them on top while the grill warmed up. Problem solved.
     
  14. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Something about anything, potatoes, chicken, or even buns baked in the burn chamber after the fire is out, has that baked in the fire flavor!
    I know - no picture, it didn't happen!
    It happened and they were Good!:drool:
    100_1869.JPG
     
  15. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    :drool::drool::drool: Looking so good.....
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  16. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Cooked to perfection! Nice job
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  17. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    These are the ones from last night fresh off the grill. image.jpg
     
  18. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,517
    Likes Received:
    95,547
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    yes, they were awesome even though they had cooled a bit before we ate them. The even all round heat had them cooked in about 50 mins. Next campfire cooking I am going to wrap potatoes cut like this in tin foil and put them in the cooking can in the fire. Grizzly - yours look pretty nice as well.
     
    campinspecter likes this.