In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poll: How happy are homeowners with the pellet stoves

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Nov 24, 2017.

?

What is your current usage of pellets compared to alternatives(other)?

1. 100% pellet

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. 75% pellet 25% other.

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. 50% pellet 50% other.

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 25% pellet and 75% other.

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. 100% other

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. dotman17

dotman17

I agree. I too enjoy the pellet heat plus it does leave a nice subtle aroma in the air.

imacman, Russell, CleanFire and 2 others like this.
  2. Russell

Russell

100 % pellets .We have a raised ranch about thirty years old all electric baseboard so the pellet stove in the basement pointing right up the stairs works great . Mostly running on low but when the temps fall below 30 time to kick it up to medium , 1 - 2 1/2 bags a day last count just hit 40 bags :campfire:

imacman, jtakeman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  3. CleanFire

CleanFire

We're about 95% / 5 pellets and oil here. Don't burn when leaving home for more than an hour, stove goes off.

Electric space heater use during the cold months makes the meter spin - really hoping the 2nd stove will address that (aka: make the wife happy. If that's ever possible.:picard:)

Before pellets (and Beer) life was cold & dismal during the late fall & winter months: keeping the thermostat set low to conserve oil w/ (2) in college, saving every penny - life ain't fun when you're cold most of the time. It sucks.

We were wood burners for many years, but the fall / winter of '08-'09 changed that: before the Ice Storm of '08 here, there was a major temperature inversion in our area: it lasted for weeks, and caused many stove / chimney fires in town. My wife was getting tired of tending fire by then, and having neighbor's homes go up in flames was the tipping point. She worked at the local elementary school, we live in a small town, and she would hear about each incident daily.

A few of the folks affected I had cut wood with, had lived here all their lives (unlike us "flat-lander" transplants), and had forgotten more about the "business end of wood" than I will ever know. It was concerning.

I can tell you that using the Dino Burner only from 2009 to 2015 was not fun, and expensive.

Anyways, fast forward to 2017. Are we happy w/ pellets? Damm Skippy we are!

Pellets keep our home warm, the Dino Burner growling only occasionally, keep food on the table, and Beer in the fridge.

Pellets rule! :MM:

4. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I had an outdoor pellet boiler, ran it four years, then sold the house.
    During those years we loved it because it heated the whole house using the baseboards, same as the oil boiler.
    The house buyer didn't take the pellet boiler, so I sold it to a guy I work with, he has it heating his apartment building in Montpelier, VT.
    He's very happy with it, and it is saving him money over the cost of oil

5. krooser

krooser

My house is so much warmer with pellets....the cost to heat is still cheaper than ng if you keep the house the same temp...if you want to freeze at 65f then ng is cheaper.

Russell, imacman, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

that being said, not everyone is thrilled with their pellet stove. Some people feel that cleaning them is too onerous, and get upset when an igniter fails to light the stove in the wee hours of the morning, because its filthy...... :headbang:

dotman17, bogieb, Russell and 6 others like this.
  7. will711

will711

Sometimes Rob ,but it's only a fleeting moment :whistle: then just grab another Smoothie and continue on :coldone:

bogieb, subsailor, Russell and 6 others like this.
  8. mithesaint

mithesaint

Probably 75% propane, and 25 % pellets. We're gone a lot, and the way I have the Revolution set up I'm heating about 3200 sq ft. The propane furnace only has to heat 2400, so the increased cost of propane gets balanced out, especially once you consider the convenience. When we're home, provided we get home before 7 pm, I'll fire up the Revolution. Otherwise, it's propane.

Russell, CleanFire and jtakeman like this.
  9. artc

artc

100% pellets. runs 24/7 in LR on Harman auto. oil if we are on vacation and for hot water. that's good, because it's always in operation for backup. about 2400 sq feet, well insulated, colonial with open 2 story foyer and open floor plan. LR at 70, bedrooms at 64. perfect! and today i got the new 65" 4K whiz bang TV. hook-up tonight!

10. gbreda

gbreda

Use to be 80/20 pellets to oil but now its more like 50/50 averaged over the entire season due to oil vs pellet pricing. Right now its been 10/90 using more oil but once it gets cold the pellet eater will be burning regularly.

11. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

The next question is, do you get 4K content?

12. badbob

badbob

Great point,and,as most peoples eyes do not comprehend 4k tv stuff.Ya,I have researched it,about 10% of the population can enjoy 4ktv.

13. schoondog

schoondog

More like 85/15 pellet/oil. Oil for DHW and heating master bedroom and bath a few degrees in the am when really cold. Love having the E2 in the living room, nice and warm and really love watching the flames.
    Doggy

14. schoondog

schoondog

We bought a 43" 4k TV for the bedroom and the clarity is awesome.

15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

LOL on the 4K content as near as I can tell there is zero OTA 4K content which leaves the video aps on your new TV and since my smart TV can't do 4k I really haven't looked at what apps on my KODI box can get. There is some out there but I can't use it.

16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Doggy did you have the controller taken care of on that E2?

17. artc

artc

no, but it prolly will be coming. the clarity is great, and this set does HDR so it's supposed to 'fill' in the picture to be 4K, or some such marketing mumbo-jumbo. whatever, it is a big upgrade from the 2005 37"

was our christmas treat!

18. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

We have a test 4K channel coming out of our New York market so we're getting a little closer to actually having some 4K content but I'm not exactly sure when it'll be ready for prime time yet.

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

There is a lot of mumbo jumbo out there I love the High Definition sunglasses.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

99 1/2% pellet for me and dino juice if gone away for extended amount of time.