In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pole saws gas vs electric

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by DNH, Nov 29, 2015.

1. DNH

DNH

Considering buying a pole saw, it's not going to be used very much mostly light trimming around the house. I have a couple sthil saws I use for general felling and bucking firewood. Are the electric units any good or would a gas powered unit really outperform? I have plenty of extension cords as well as portable generators. Buy once cry once or get a cheap electric saw and if it goes bad I can replace it 5x over for the price of a gas unit?

wildwest likes this.
  2. Butcher

Butcher

CTYank, wildwest and cus_deluxe like this.
  3. bassJAM

bassJAM

Those Corona blades are no joke! They're way better than the stamped steel blades most of us are probably familiar with. I know a couple of tree guy that get by with quality manual pole saws just fine

I also know a guy that just took a small cordless chainsaw he had laying around, made a fixture to mount it on a pole, ran some wires through the inside of the pole and put a trigger at the bottom end of it.

wildwest likes this.
  4. cus_deluxe

cus_deluxe

i think for your use, butcher nailed it. also fiskars makes a very nice pole saw with blades that can be sharpened with a regular round file as you would sharpen a saw chain. plus manual pole saws give you a sweet upper body workout!

wildwest likes this.
  5. DNH

DNH

I had thought about a manual saw but how much I'll use it will be dependant on how far back the electric coop will trim some trees near the power line. No I'm not going to trim them myself, if they just barely trim them I'm going to have a 150 yard fence row to finish trimming before I can cut them down.

I was talking to a friend he has a sthil pole saw I can use

Oldman47 and wildwest like this.
  6. DNH

DNH

Electric coop trimming service was out today they said "we are making your trim a priority as soon as it drys out enough to get a truck in" they will trim it hard enough I'll be able to cut anything else down w/o worrying about hitting the lines.

While I was at a friends farm I saw he has a sthil 660/066 I don't remember which I'm trying to talk him into selling it. He only paid $50 bucks for it and is needing a smaller saw as he gets older (he is 89 and still farming) would a running sthil 170 be a fair trade for a non running 066/660 he does tends to leave equipment laying around, it was running some time in the last year but don't know it it is now.

7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Fair to whom? Lol

You could buy a couple new 170s for what that 066/660 is worth, assuming that as a non-running unit, it is complete and there is no major damage.

clemsonfor likes this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

If you dont mind uncoiling and coiling up cords being tethered and always being close enough to an outlet to use said cords or getting out your genny and dragging it around, an electric is a perfect choice. But for me I would hate to drag all they crap out for a few cuts. Id use a chain saw or hand saw before all that. My vote is gas.

Eric VW and Oldman47 like this.
  9. DNH

DNH

I think I'm loosing my mind or my memory. The 066/660 was not there when I was up there again. I was worried a broke 066 was worth much more than a new 170 and wanted to have a fair trade to both parties.

I'll try the sthil pole saw for the main work this winter then I'll buy either a manual or electric saw for upkeep sometime next spring/summer.

Eric VW likes this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

A totally seized 660 is worth more than a new in box 170!!!

If it just needs a fuel line and carb rebuild its worth multiple new ones!!!

Eric VW likes this.
  11. DNH

DNH

I want a larger saw for felling but it will have to wait any tree I can't drop with the 029 I'll just pass on. Saw a 48"+ oak round left over from logging waste where I was cutting, drooled for a while but had to settle for 15-30" oak (red and white) and walnut scrap logs already cut piled for 2 years all the bark fell off while I was cutting. I'll finish splitting and stacking it, I'm betting it will be ready next year I may give it one more year.

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Wood that big is not what you think. Sure there is 70 splits in a piece but it takes forever to wrestle them around. You really work for the wood that big.