In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Plink um

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by scavenger, Dec 11, 2016.

1. scavenger

scavenger

i couldn't move fast enough to get the 22 or the camera but I caught an over weight possum helping himself to my cats dinner (which I don't leave out too long) ....what other deterrents have been successful to ward these ugly critters off...in the mean time I'm making the 22 more accessible ....:mad:

Star Gazer and J. Dirt like this.
  2. blacktail

blacktail

Scoop them up with a fishing net, then dispose as you see fit. And since this is a firewood site, it's fitting that I've used a split of firewood to club them in the net. Soft woods work fine, and the wood doesn't even need to be seasoned.

3. bassJAM

bassJAM

Other than a dog, I'm not sure that there is a deterrent. My neighbor uses hav-a-heart traps because they eat the catfood they put out. They told me so far this year they've trapped 8 possums and 18 coons, all dispatched with a .22.

Star Gazer and greendohn like this.
  4. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Not trying to be critical or anything but Why are you putting cat food outside? It a well known animal attractant.
    Once you feed a bunch of wild animals its hard to find a deterrent.

Star Gazer and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  5. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Any cat left outdoors around me quickly becomes the photo on the "lost cat" posters on the telephone poles in town. Outdoor cats here are usually coyote snacks. People get all teary when I tell them, but what did they expect? Cats are notorious song bird killers too so until they get eaten by the yotes they kill a bunch of birds. Our 2 cats are indoor cats.

6. scavenger

scavenger

My mouser adopted me and for him to do his job he's needs his Wheaties...I have a bit of compassion---and I bring the food in at dusk---see his cute picture on the "Keeping the mice out of the stacks" thread in the wood pile

Star Gazer and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  7. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

We shoot possums that are around the house and let all the others go. They pretty much keep their distance because of the dogs, boys and guns.
    We feed the cats and dogs inside which helps and we don't throw out food scrapes into the woods. I even gutted this seasons deer over a garbage can so I didn't attract coyotes.

8. scavenger

scavenger

Ahh...so this is where I posted that story....you'll want to see my thread Bad Boy Gone to see the latest update...

Star Gazer likes this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We do just the opposite gut deer in shooting lanes between stacks put some motion activated light out there and it's a coy dog killing party! of course I'm in country and our coy dogs are from city folk (usually stupid college kids) that get puppies (husky whatever) cause they are so cute then drop them off at the farms cause they need room to run.. most are food but the bigger stronger one breed with whatever and need to be thinned out.. really too bad but they are DANGEROUS..

Star Gazer likes this.
  10. scavenger

scavenger

I had to look up what a coy dog was---they do look bad to the bone....o_O

Star Gazer likes this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

oh sorry coy dog is a general term we use for domestic dogs that breed with coyotes or wolves (yes we got them) that go feral.. they run in packs and when snow get deep get aggressive... try to bait your famiky dog's ..like wolves ... kill deer etc etc.. many hunters will get a deer but have to shoot a few to get them out... 6 years ago shot one I guessed weight at 180 25% bigger than my great dame Rhodesian Ridgeback lab mix that stood 6 foot 4... Called game warden as I thought had wolf hybrid.. he took carcass but never told me what is was... that group were trying to lure the tall dog and my rotti into woods:jaw: that's when we started the coy dog killing parties... I don't like senseless killing of animals but have found no other way to control population

Star Gazer likes this.
  12. scavenger

scavenger

I can imagine the scene: a crackling bonfire surrounded by grown men in Carharts patiently shifting foot to cold foot while glancing side to side and into the depths of the dark woods gently cradling their weapons in hopes to be the first to cry out...LOOK!...then level the rifle and slaughter...dragging the bloody carcasses to fire's edge....then later the relaxed, satisfied crew cracking open an ipa....

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I use a live trap from Have-a-Heart. I've relocated several stray cats over the years, 2 ground hogs...

Star Gazer likes this.
  14. scavenger

scavenger

Some feline experts now estimate 70 million feral cats live in the United States, the consequence of little effort to control the population and of the cat's ability to reproduce quickly---national geographic..........a disgruntled, armed homeowner has every right to control the vermin invading his/her territory---scavenger (ps--that's 10 times the illegal Mexican population in the US feeding off my paycheck--but the scavenger quote holds true in both instances)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Star Gazer likes this.