In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Piecing down an Elm....I think?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by schlot, Aug 31, 2014.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Decided to take down a tree that overhangs part of our house, the power line to the house and an area that we want to plant a flowering crab and shrubs in. It's such an odd spot that most of it will have to come down using my tree saw.

    I'm pretty sure it's an elm, but the other elms I took down before don't have nearly as big as leaves, so I'm doubting myself. Is this an Elm?

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,500
    Likes Received:
    113,877
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Yep, Elm......
     
    Shawn Curry and HDRock like this.
  3. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks.
     
  4. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,500
    Likes Received:
    113,877
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I don't what variety of elm. But safely can say it's not Chinese elm. The bark on it will typically be white streak vertically and small leaves. But maybe American or Red elm. Both are good burning woods.
     
    Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  5. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    +1
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,273
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yup, elm. Have fun splitting it!
     
    Chvymn99 and Loon like this.
  7. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Yep. Got one a those too. Won't be coming down here any time soon tho.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.