In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pickeroon

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

Steamers maybe but they work well for quahog

Backwoods Savage and Midwinter like this.
  2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I'd still likes ta have me one 'o dem hookarooney/picarooney thingies fer yanking rounds out da back 'o da truck.

3. billb3

billb3

All I've ever dug for was clams at low tide.

Backwoods Savage and Midwinter like this.
  4. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

Bet it was on a Sunday or Wednesday. That seems to be the open days off tourist season.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. billb3

billb3

It was any day we wanted. Private beach area and dock for (small) boats came with the neighborhood. You had to live on the street. I have no idea what the rules are now with needing permits and licenses for everything but a fart.

6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Buffalo Plaid I was being snarky. Like: "If you use a clam rake for unloading firewood splits from your pickup, then what oddly purposed tool do you use for the clamming... a toilet plunger?" You were thinking out of the box and it worked well for you. :yes: I can be such a butt.....Sorry!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. blacktail

blacktail

I've got DDD and have been through numerous herniated discs. Either tool is just something that grabs the wood and has a handle. I just prefer the one with a 36" handle.

8. Stinny

Stinny

I use my hookeroon to pull splits off the stacks, when I can't reach them easily... I use it to pick up small branches / brush, without bending... and, I use it to pick up small splits, without bending. (I'm sure I'll stop that last one after I skip off the split and drive that pick under my big toenail someday)... :whistle: I've used it to move other things as well. Handy arm extension... and toenail remover.

9. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

20180324_180721 (1).jpg I use two XA22s to carry splits, or drag them if too heavy to lift, saves the back this way, and for swinging them up onto the splitter

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I always enjoyed filling silo in the fall. Not sure which I loved the most. Naturally started with unloading. Climbing silo chute to keep putting doors in place as the insilage level went up. Enjoyed chopping or even enjoyed hauling the wagons back and forth. The only thing I did not like was that first time climbing up the outside of the silo to place the blower pipe. After the first time it was not so bad but that first time going up was scary!

metalcuttr and Midwinter like this.
  11. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

I took no offense. I was actually going to reply with some wiseguy reply but figured no one would get it as sarcasm doesnt translate well to text. Seems like we think alike

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

You took the High Road!:tip:

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. blacktail

blacktail

I'll swing it down, or to the side, but never towards me. A pickaroon would do a real number on a foot or leg no matter what part it hits.

metalcuttr and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. Erik B

Erik B

Backwoods Savage Have you ever jumped down into an almost empty silo to clean out the crap left in the bottom? Can be a bit stinky but you may have a chance to spear rats and feed them to the barn cats. BTDT

15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Had to clean out the silo every year. Yes, it was a stinky mess and I'd rather clean gutters instead, but it had to be done. Never found any rats though. We used to have rats under a couple of corn cribs that were on cement slabs. One year we got out a couple hoses and started filling holes with water. I don't remember how many rats we killed but there was a lot. Never saw a rat on the farm after that but we also made sure we had several barn cats that could take care of any they found. Can't have a farm with cattle without having some cats to keep the mouse and rat population in check. Used to hate it when getting into a grain bin and finding cat scat though.

Erik B and metalcuttr like this.