In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pickeroon

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

No dragging for sure. Just hook them and roll them. Stand where you want the log to roll and pull toward you. You don't even have to swing the pickeroon to get a grip on the log. Just reach over and most times you will get enough of a grip to do what needs to be done.

If I'm splitting wood, I'm sitting. Then when I can no longer reach the logs, I use the pickeroon to get them closer to me.

2. creek chub

creek chub

The tongs sound like a great idea! Do you have trouble getting them to release the log into a trailer?

3. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Once you get the hang of them you can release them easily if your loading a trailer . I don’t know if this has been pointed out yet but the log tongs keep your gloves drier as well . No need to dig in snow to grab rounds .

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

The logs in the picture are why you get forks for a tractor!

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

You can give a flick of the wrist turning the tongs sideways to release the round, or can give it a quick down then up to release the round. This technique can also be used to open them and pick up a round with one hand. Once you get use to them it’s easy to do. You can also throw the rounds into a trailer or truck with them as well. It’s in the wrist movement and timing.

6. creek chub

creek chub

Great! I’ll ask Santa to get me this

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

IMG_20191204_23152.jpg Here's one more pic...

Attached Files:

Marvin, eatonpcat, Maina and 5 others like this.
  8. Midwinter

Midwinter

Marvin, eatonpcat, Maina and 4 others like this.
  9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

That’s a peavy. It’s used to roll logs. A cant hook is almost the same, but instead of a point tip it has more of a hook tip. Both are used to roll logs.

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

Thanks! I think I could use a peavy, on occasion. Maybe not that one. Although it might clean up nice.

11. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

Midwinter I've got a peavy/timberjack you can try out sometime if you want.

12. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

I grabbed a pickaroon a while back to use for picking up splits. I found out its quicker to just pick them up. I use the pickaroon to roll rounds around now.

13. Midwinter

Midwinter

I may take you up on that. If this snow ever melts, and I get a log to cut.

14. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

Soo...April or so :rofl: :lol:
    Let me know

15. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I’ve been using a set of Tongs in my left hand and a logrite pickaroon in my right to carry splits from the ground to the pile.
    Or scrounged wood from the ground to the truck/trailer bed.

The pickaroon is also my main tool for dragging wood to the back of the bed for splitting or stacking.

I don’t like the tongs with small pieces. They seem to drop it or not hook. So I stab a small piece with the pick and pick a larger one with the tongs.

Another battle I have had is always having to pick the tongs or pickaroon off the ground when using them during splitting. Seem to always fall to the ground. I keep telling myself to make holders for the splitter to park them but never do.

I just got the LogOx hauler with the pickaroon attachment and curious to see how it works. It come with a holster to keep the hauler on your belt so I’m hoping that will work better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I bought my Fiskars Pickaroon for the test of it and I haven’t used it much.
    Doesn’t mean I won’t use it but I was testing on some small cedar rounds to show that those can be lugged around a bit likely to be split. I should have tried on other rounds that were hardwoods. That test will come. If anything, I’d use it to haul out logs out of the brush instead of picking them up. Or at least limbs to get out of the way. Maybe use it to grab or push stacked firewood from the reaches of a shed...spitballing but I guess I’m only justifying what use I can make of it. I liked the log tongs look but have only seen a two man one near me and some peaveys.
    I haven’t read everything above me but surely it will help if some logs have rolled too yonder under some poison ivy or brambles and needing to reach it without touching.

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I wish I had gotten the Husky tongs, got a cheaper set off Amazon, that's what they were...

FatBoy85, Maina, metalcuttr and 5 others like this.
  18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

A Peavy also gives you a bit of an advantage with leverage. Also has a beefier business end. I've been able to hammer the hook into a big log and give the handle a pretty good tug.

I used it with those big oak trunks. You can roll a 3-4 foot log, multiple rounds in length, fairly easy.

FatBoy85, Maina, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  19. Midwinter

Midwinter

That's why it appeals to me. I could have used it on the maple stem you cut at Dave's, and the big ash rounds I got the other weekend. I managed both times but a peavy would have made it easier. I've also heard of rolling logs by sinking an axe in one end, then turning the handle 180°.

FatBoy85, Maina, metalcuttr and 5 others like this.
  20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I use a cant hook.

FatBoy85, Maina, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.