In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Picked up my Woodstock Absolute Steel

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by westczek, Oct 8, 2019.

1. RGrant

RGrant

They start to feel like a member of the family.

FatBoy85, Chaz, OhioStihl and 7 others like this.
  2. westczek

westczek

No, not us. I had it shipped to Hagerstown in Maryland. Much shorter drive. Sounds like us Virginians have gotten the word on Woodstock stoves.

FatBoy85, Chaz, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

RGrant Might be my cousin.. Seriously lives outside Charlottesville.. His dad knows the owner..

FatBoy85, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  4. B.Brown

B.Brown

I'm guessing you guy's block the floor up under these stoves with some cinder blocks and wedges?

FatBoy85, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

B.Brown not me but I am on a 4 foot deep concrete slab.. Old garage foundation..

6. BigPapi

BigPapi

Not here.. House is 1850, stone foundation with some extra large, tight grained framing that puts a Home Depot 2x to shame. :)

Should probably throw a column under where the stove sits, but I really don't worry much. Seeing what's in the basement makes me feel like I could probably park a car in the dining room without too much to worry about.

7. B.Brown

B.Brown

I was just curious, thanks for the reply's looks like you both have it pretty well thought out, i guessed this was the case, but, who knows, lol.

8. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Nice to see more Absolute Steel owners joining FHC I've had one since 2016 field test, and got my production unit in 2017! I have had very good luck with mine. Love it's capacity and long burns and also the nice big and solid ash-tray! No problems at all and it is a great heater!

I love the charcoal on charcoal look you've got with yours!

Congrats!!

9. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

I took this little video a few years ago when I first got the AS. I thought I had posted it here but I guess not. I've got a similar
    AS but mine has the wings. I really enjoy the stove. Before it gets brought up I know the clearances here aren't within spec but I've since fixed that. Just goes to show that hearth planning based on the size of the heater you're buying st the time doesn't necessarily work 30 years later.

It took a while to get used to the burn settings I needed with this stove, but with dry wood and even lower draft settings than I thought would work I have excellent results.

Doug, FatBoy85, Farmchuck and 6 others like this.
  10. Marvin

Marvin

Cool video Oldhippie :yes:

FatBoy85, Farmchuck, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  11. Woody Stover

Woody Stover

Mesmerizing burn. o_O

Oldhippie, FatBoy85, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  12. Semipro

Semipro

One here from the New River Valley. I do love the Shenandoah though.
    I keep coveting a Woodstock but the old Jotul Oslo just keeps performing. I really like a catalyst stove though. Maybe one day..

Chaz, Oldhippie, FatBoy85 and 3 others like this.
  13. Marshel54

Marshel54

Do you remember what your in take air was set at in the video?
    I fought with my AS last year and hated it. This year I am loving it. The only operational difference is much less intake air. My wife has a problem. "No flame the fire is going out." Told her I was operating it my way this year. Hope it continues to work like this when it gets colder.

Chaz, Oldhippie and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's the thing with modern stoves...they put out the most heat (over the coarse of a load) with the least air, as long as your wood is dry enough anyways...it does make sense, less heat up the chimney...

15. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Two BIG factors in that video.

1. DRY Wood - previous year I had wood that was only 9 months from cut, hardwood. Very poor burns most of the year.

2. Between Zero and 1 on the draft. about .7 most nights with temps in low 30'F even less if it's below 10'F down to .5 (almost closed)

But really the Dry wood is a top requirement. I always buy green wood in the Spring. I target that wood to get burned no sooner than winter of 2nd year cur/split/stacked and covered. Some of it, maybe 2 to 3 cord, will not get used that year and so I'll start the next season with wood 2.5 years almost 3 full years dry, C/S/S off the ground and covered.

Having a very good to excellent wood supply makes all the difference. The glass doesn't smoke up and get black and the wood burns so clean that just like that video, the flame is off the wood entirely and only flames are from the top of the stove as unburned gasses hit the bright orange cat. and/or pass through the secondary burn plate. If I want it really hot I can open it up more, and then of course I'll see flames off the wood, but unless it's below 0'F it's really unnecessary at my house.

PS the other factor with the draft setting is length of stovepipe and in my case the stove is in the family room which is the basement of a Cape Chalet so a full 2.5 floors above the stove, or about 26 feet of chimney. (temp and flue height being big factors along with the dry wood)

Chvymn99, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Some quality help right there...You didn't hurt yourself pulling away the furniture dolly did you Marshel54 ?? :p

17. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Congratulation! Funny, I was at Woodstock this morning picking up my IS that was being repaired. Can’t beat the quality and pricing for the products they produce. Service is also something they are AA rated with, awesome follow up and continued support for their products

18. Hoytman

Hoytman

It’ll soon be time to pay you a visit to look at that stove. I’ll bring pics of mine...may go up to Hitzer in Berne, IN a biz weekend to get some parts, coal, and look around.

19. Hoytman

Hoytman

(With a growl) ... Awweeee!!! Now why’d ya’ have to go and do a thing like that? Posting a video? Makes me want to see that Progress burning OhioStihl has. Makes me want to reconsider burning coal...’cause I love watchin’ wood burn.

T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  20. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

They are like pets! Their personalities grow on you and they become another member of the family. These days I do all this wood stuff, more out of tradition and the beauty of it all than any money I might save.

Love my Fireview and Absolute Steel!

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.