In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Picked up a cant hook yesterday

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by metalcuttr, Nov 22, 2018.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

For about a year I have been looking for a reasonably priced peavey or cant hook to assist in firewood cutting. For some reason used ones are few and far between around here and any store bought are very high priced IF you can find them! Saw this one in Craig's List and got it for $40. Most any used go for around $60+ it seems so I think I did OK. It is shorter than I'd like at only 46" and of the cant hook type. I have always used the pointed logging peavey type so I hope this will work ok for general log rolling/turning. I could always weld a point on it and could even fabricate a new larger hook for it. The log jack leg feature I have never used before. I suspect it may work for smaller logs but I may find myself just removing the leg! So my only worries are; is the handle long enough for good leverage and will the cant type point work well on logs. Time will tell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    M2theB, Bert, WeldrDave and 8 others like this.
  2. In the Pines

In the Pines

very nice deal! I too have been looking at getting one of those as well.

M2theB, WeldrDave, Bert and 4 others like this.
  3. papadave

papadave

With all the logs in the drive now, I've also been thinking to get one. The Amish general store about 40 minutes south of me sells 'em, but I don't remember the price.
    That one looks almost new. Nice.

M2theB, WeldrDave, Bert and 2 others like this.
  4. Sourwood

Sourwood

Northern Tool sells one at a very reasonable price, though I don’t recall it. I bought one as a back-up. It took a while to come in, but it is good quality. That was one of the criticism from buyers who rated them .. them must drop-ship them rather than stock them.

M2theB, WeldrDave and metalcuttr like this.
  5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I got a cheap one from somewhere, and I do not like it, in fact I think in some ways it is dangerous...strong words.

It does not have a spike end, nor is it like a log jack end, it is just sort of...well...pipe. But the pipe fits together halfway at the handle so they can get it into a shorter box and this is where the problem lies, sometimes it slips out. There have been a couple of times it has slipped out while I am rolling a log on the sawmill which makes me topple backwards. Since I am inside the sawmill, I topple back over one rail of the mill. It is an awkward position, but if I ever threw a back out, it could be an expensive cant dog.

It has also bent.

I will have to find out the name of it. I could not find anything online, probably because the manufacturer got sued too much and no longer makes it. That is my only warning, be wary of cant dogs with two piece handles.

M2theB, Buffalo Plaid and metalcuttr like this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Good advice! Thank you Sir!:tip:

7. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I think you are dead on about the log jack, lose it.

The cant will do you fine. I like peavy points better cause you can stick it in the ground wherever you stand. Functionally for rolling logs they are the same.

Length boils down to portability vs. rolling bigger lopsided crooked things. But crooked ugly logs have the advantage. Past a certain point you can’t roll them no matter what.

M2theB, Bert, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I'd been looking for one myself til my stepson got me one from Tractor Supply for Xmas. Its the cant type with no point. Instead of the pad it has a "T" pipe that i dont keep in all the time as i mainly use it to roll large logs. Think it went for around $65. Dont use it often, but a great tool when needed. I had never seen or used one til a few years ago.

M2theB and Bert like this.
  9. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

IMG_1198.JPG I ordered a Logrite 60" canthook last week. It was delivered today. Coincidentally, my tree guy called me this morning asking if he could take down the tree next to my house along the driveway. I had asked him a 4 or 5 months ago to come at his convenience. It was to wet for him to get in anywhere else today. I used it a little this afternoon. I think I will be glad I bought this (my back needs relief). The Logrite was more than I wanted to spend but I can now see why they cost what they do. They are beefy yet light. I didn't heave on it to hard today but I will have a chance in the next few days to put it to the test.

Chaz, M2theB, WeldrDave and 7 others like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Its a great tool for sure. I had never seen or used one til a few years ago. Dont use it that often, but it is a back saver. The one i got for Xmas has a fat wood handle.

Chaz, M2theB, Bert and 4 others like this.
  11. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I have the same one the OP has, $60 @ tractor supply a few years ago, sold under the timbertuff brand.
    I have wished the handle was longer, and found that the log Jack doesn't work on the big stuff, but it goes with me on every scrounge.

I actually used it to roll over a 3' diameter + long, using my van and a tow strap to pull the log over.

Chaz, M2theB, Bert and 3 others like this.
  12. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

I used the Logrite 60" canthook on a 2' diameter log today. It took little effort to turn the log over to make my final cuts without worrying about hitting the dirt with my chain. So much better than what I was doing previously (using a digging iron and shoving a wedge of wood underneath until I could get another bite with the digging iron).

Chaz, M2theB, Bert and 2 others like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Great tool isnt it! Wish id known about it years ago. Looking forward to using it on my current score...see my newest thread.

Chaz, M2theB, Bert and 2 others like this.
  14. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

Yeah, I think my wife will be glad I purchased a canthook as well. I would often have her wedge a small round underneath the log while I used the digging iron to move the log. Today I was able to turn the log over 180 in one move with the canthook by myself with little effort.

Chaz, Bert and metalcuttr like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have a piece of 3/4 plywood that ill wiggle under the log or do like you. Only used my hook a couple times since i got it at Xmas but this current score it will get used some. Welcome to the forum, BTW! Youre gonna like it here.

Chaz, Bert, metalcuttr and 1 other person like this.
  16. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

Thanks for the welcome buZZsaw BRAD. I was reading posts on the FHC forum for a few months and liked the advice, the banter, pics, etc. Seems like a good group of likeminded individuals. Thought I should join the conversation(s).

Chaz, Bert and metalcuttr like this.
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I discovered it purely by accident. Googled something about wood and it appeared in the search. I couldnt believe what i was seeing! First time joining a forum. Not a social media person, but will BS about anything/everything wood/chain saws etc.

VOLKEVIN, Chaz, Bert and 3 others like this.
  18. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

Same here. I'm not a social media guy either. This is the first type of social media I've joined. I'm not into Snapface and all that.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im surprised at how much ive learned in a month since ive joined. Guess you're never too old!:BrianK:

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

X2