In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Phase 2 of orchard project

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Firewood Bandit, May 25, 2016.

1. Farmerfrancis

Farmerfrancis

Thanks bandit, the hole part shouldn't be an issue with the excavator. I have read about the importance of the graft height, hopefully the trees will be in good shape come spring. I have two honey crisp, two red Rome, two reliance peach trees and a couple cherrys for a friend.

2. billb3

billb3

They shipped them while they are ( nearly ) dormant and it's not freezing or too hot.
    That's either (late)Fall or (early) Spring to plant. ( late and early as defined by hardiness zone )
    Geez, no planting instructions ?
    Either get them planted or temporarily heeled in.
    Either way you want them to stay dormant or finish approaching dormancy - they should do a little bit of root growth or 'settling back in' from bare root.
    If they shipped them in September they would likely start growing and then they'd be too green and tender going into Winter and they'd die.

Water well, not just because the roots need water but the water helps to get the loose soil back to a proper density . The proper density helps prevent root desiccation and insulation from January and February cold. Loose soil doesn't always hold moisture as well so try to gauge dryness might be in a couple weeks . Watering in December might not be too crazy if it hasn't rained much. Mulch over the loosened soil but not against the tree - you're probably gonna put something to stop the rabbits or other animals from chewing on the stem anyway.

Heeling in they used to plant them laying down to help protect them from the Winter wind.

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  3. Farmerfrancis

Farmerfrancis

Thanks Billb3,

I was looking to get the trees beginning of November instead of the end as we've had some freezes already, nothing extreme but they are around the corner. I'd hate to see the tree get damaged and set me back another year, I should've followed the old saying plant your apple trees first. I will say Stark bros has a great warranty on the trees so I'm sure if something happens they will stand behind their product. The trees should be around 4' tall or so when they get here. They also have a lot of information on their site in regards to planting/pruning/and caring for your trees.

Now back to bandits regularly scheduled thread

4. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

For what it is worth. I live down the road from Bailey Nursery. They are one of the largest bare root tree producers in the country. Don't know if they have fruit trees. I only have experience with there deciduous trees. Every year Bailey's donate trees that are slightly damaged, overstocks, etc. to our local horticultural group for planting in City parks, boulevards, etc. I participate in that planting. We usually plant about the first two weeks in November. This year we planted 83 trees on November 12th. I think someone said we have a 98% survival rate.
    We usually don't see growth the next spring but we see a vibrant tree the following spring. Some of those trees we have planted over the years sure do look nice now.

papadave likes this.
  5. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Well I just paged through my own post and realized there were no pictures of the trees at the end of the Summer 10/15, but I did have the ones of the trellises for next year. Anyway, here ya go:

This was a 3/8ths whip that was 4' high. Note top wire is 9'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The larger feathered stock really grew. (the sunflowers are volunteers the squirrels planted)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep in mind for scale, the top wire is 9'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost starting to look like an orchard.

[​IMG]

These are the 4.5 year old trees the frost wiped out the crop on.

[​IMG]

papadave, Woodwidow and basod like this.
  6. basod

basod

So did you start the initial orchard replanting before learning about the high density planting?
    I watched the longer video and a couple others and the concept.

Are there concerns with lightning strikes taking out a whole row?

7. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Excellent question!

Yes the trees in the back were planted in 2011 and the high density planting was very new and in my ignorance was unaware. Had I known I never would have planted them because in the space where 28 trees sit, I could have put in about 300 more in this system and in the long run it is easier to take care of much more efficient although much more expensive. I thought a lot about removing them right now and doing the trellis all the way to the back. I still can at any time and the only real big work would be relocating the anchor end posts which trust me, "are really in to stay" and splicing the wire which is not a big deal. Splicing the irrigation would take less than 2 min. So if I really need more apples that is an option. Right now this is going to produce quite a few.

Never thought about lightening. Every single trees has a steel conduit that is wired to the top wire so they are grounded mighty good.:zip:

A month ago while working in the orchard I had a moment of reflection realizing this is probably the last big project I will take on.:( For a little old retired guy it is a pretty good sized one. Of course these will last a good 20 years.

I find it quite relaxing to work on the trees and the efforts of ones labor is quickly demonstrated by the trees response and that is satisfying.

papadave, basod, bushpilot and 2 others like this.
  8. basod

basod

I ask this because similar trellis systems are used for Muscadine vines around here - but no EMT on each plant. They try to drive ground rods every 25-50' so the entire row won't get smoked in the event of a strike.

Having 300 EMT conduit "grounds" per 100' isn't necessarily "grounded" it probably induces more ground potential due to the zinc on the EMT and any resistance from the trellis wire to EMT bond would affect a lightning strikes ability to dissipate over greater distances.

Wasn't trying to rain on the concept - might be something you ask that fellow in the videos;)