In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

pellets vs corn

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Old Fart from Eganville, Nov 25, 2015.

1. johninwi

johninwi

My experience is very limited...
    Burning corn makes nitric acid, you've got the right vent pipe but at the end of the season you'll need to clean the stove a bit better than would be required with pellets. Recomendations i've gotten from thoes with years of burning ranges from washing the stove and pipe to burning only pellets at the end of season, about a month or so, also spraying the stove interior with cooking spray, Pam or the like, helps prevent rust.
    Oyster shell mixed with corn helps prevent the clinker from sticking to the burn pot and stirrer, alternative is a second pot and stirrer and soaking them in water when not in use then swaping them weekly. Mt stirrer had a buildup at the end of season and i soaked it a few day, the buildup came off easily.

ivanhoe, BAN83 and jtakeman like this.
  2. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Learning lots here from the experienced people on this sight. Keep it coming.
    One thing I have is lots of time, that is what comes with being retired. But only if the better half thinks
    I have nothing to do.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::whistle::whistle:Yes Dear.
    Old Fart

ivanhoe, BAN83, will711 and 4 others like this.
  3. Rona

Rona

I started out burning corn with a Harman PC45- as you say switch agitator and pot every three days dumping the dirty ones in a pail of water so the clinker can dissolve. The Harman with stirrer needs 12.5% or less moisture to produce decent heat. This can be changed with adding pellets which also prevents clinker buildup.
    The low moisture needed will be a deal breaker for some areas since corn isn't dried down below 15% for No 2 corn. The lower the moisture the more cracks and damaged kernels will be found.
    I tried oyster shells but found buying pellets that would produce additional heat worked out better.

ivanhoe, BAN83 and johninwi like this.
  4. Rona

Rona

I think they were perfected to the point not much more could be done to improve them. The latest version the 120 used a much more reasonable control board but otherwise same parts- design-newer software-etc. Parts such as motors and bearings are available from the same companies that Bixby bought them from. With the advent of stoves made by the cheapest bid from overseas plus cheap nat gas and oil they no longer a profitable business. I wonder how much it would cost to ship one to Australia? 350lbs.

ivanhoe and BAN83 like this.
  5. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

The stove is multi-fuel and there is three listings for corn. High moisture 16 to 14% Normal corn 15 to 13% and low moisture 14 to 12%. Also low grade pellet standard pellet and premium pellet. As well as grain and high ash fuel. You punch in on the control board what you are burning and it will adjust accordingly. There is also a manual adjustment for the air intake. Have not tried it out yet but getting anxious.
    Old Fart

6. Chickenman

Chickenman

From our point of view there is not much point floggin a dead horse. You are lucky to have your unit and as long as you can keep it running you are sweet. The cost of production would kill the bixby stone dead now. Realistically if they cant make it in the States then there is little hope anywhere else.
    Doesn't take away from the fact that they are a fantastic jigger.

7. Chickenman

Chickenman

What breed of stove?

8. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I is a Endurance 50 F made by Fahrenheit Industries made in Michigan USA. I just bought it new and have not fired it up yet but am going to soon. This will be my first experience with a pellet/corn burner.
    O F

ivanhoe, BAN83 and ttdberg like this.
  9. Chickenman

Chickenman

I dont know it but it sounds pretty high spec. As it is new shouldn't your dealer offer you some support to get it going? Might help them understand it as well.

I would just dial in the settings like you describe and choke the air intake to get a fairly "loopy" flame on grain as opposed to the roaring flame you need with pellets.

Have fun and Good Luck.:thumbs:

ivanhoe, BAN83 and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  10. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I wont have any problems with the dealer other than it will all be buy phone or email as he is about 300 miles from me. There is no other dealer closer than that and I was impressed with the unit when I found it on line. I wanted something I could use as a furnace and it fit the bill for a reasonable price. From the reviews and comments on here I don't think I made a mistake.
    Thanks all O F

ivanhoe, BAN83, ttdberg and 1 other person like this.
  11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

so,what kind of stove is it?

12. Chickenman

Chickenman

Just had a look at their website video.
    That is a cool lookin piece of gear:yes:
    What sort of coin does a flash beasty like that set you back?

ivanhoe, BAN83 and ttdberg like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

14. Woodscrounger

Woodscrounger

I run an old earth stove corn/pellet stove and for my setup I have found it is best to mix in at least 25% wood pellets to get it to burn right. I grow my own corn and store it in a corn crib so the moisture is going to be a bit higher than dried corn.

ivanhoe likes this.
  15. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

ivanhoe likes this.
  16. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I didn't think the price was to bad. I paid $ 4800.00 plus our 13 % sales tax. The Selkirk DT-M multi-fuel vent pipe set me back close to a $ 1000.00 with taxes in. I think the price in USA is around $ 3800.00 or so.
    Old Fart

17. swags

swags Moderator

I live in farm country, lots of local farmers sell corn by the bag. I can buy a bushel for $3.50-5.00 depending on what farmer I'm buying from. The cheaper ones have a little more cob in the bags. I just run it through a little homemade screen I put together to pull out chunks.

Prices at TSC or other retail stores are closer to $7-9 a bushel. So if you can look around for a farmer you should be able to get a much better price

ivanhoe, BAN83 and jtakeman like this.
  18. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Just found out I can buy corn dried to 15% for $ 200.00 a ton. Comes in a 1/2 ton tote bag. I guess that works out about
    $ 5.00 a bushel bag. No brainer for me I will be getting some. He lives fairly close to me and I have a trailer that will haul
    2 ton or more. Gotta love it:D:D:D:thumbs::thumbs:

ivanhoe, BAN83, swags and 2 others like this.
  19. johninwi

johninwi

Others have built batch driers, one discribed was a 5 gallon bucket with a pancake fan stuck to the bottom and some screen. Following thier recomdentation's i built one, had a squirle cage fan on the shelf, swiped a wondow screen from the basement window and built a box to fit the screen, had some leftover aluminum from the old windows and used it to support the screen. The box holds about 8 gallons, draw back is when turning the fan on redeye's go everywhere. Being new to the corn thing i was weighting the buckets before and after the batch drying and would reduce the weight by a few lbs.
    Another recomendation was to get wiremesh trash can put it in front of the stove overnight.

What i was also taught was the pliers test, squish a cernal with a pliers, if it crumbles, it's dry, if it mushes, not dry. This does work.

Another tip was getting your corn before the begining of the harvest, this corn has dried all summer and others report <10% moiosture.

ivanhoe, BAN83 and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  20. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Lots of good tips and tricks. Keep them coming
    Old Fart