In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellets and European electricity article

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Midwinter, Dec 20, 2017.

1. billb3

billb3

Russia: sanctions, not on everyone's most favored trading partners lists these days, although Europe doesn't seem to have a LOT of problems with buying Russian natural gas.

Say you're a pulp/paper mill farmer in this country that has watched your tree business shrink year after year . Someone wants to buy your trees chewed up, turned into pellets and shipped by bulk carrier the short distance across the northern corner of the Atlantic Ocean. You're gonna say no ? You can plant more fast growing pines and sell them again just like you've been doing for years.
    The problem begins when you are selling faster than you are growing. AT what point is forest to energy not sustainable ?

Coal still supports 30% of the world's energy needs. It is hardly dead and it's not going anywhere soon, despite pundits' fantasies of a 100% green world.

Cutting trees down to plant solar panels is self defeating.

2. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

I doubt the pellets are from Pine forests... I seem to remember there being a bit of a row about the pellets being made from southern hardwood cut explicitly for the purpose of making pellets.

3. billb3

billb3

4. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

From the article: "For several years, the Swedish state power company Vattenfall imported wood chips from old rubber trees on the giant Firestone rubber plantation in Liberia. The project, part-funded by the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, a U.S. federal agency, had originally promised to light homes in the West African nation. But that never happened, and after the project collapsed in 2012, the wood chips began being shipped to Sweden."

WHY was an entity named "Overseas Private Investment Corp" when it's funded by U.S. taxpayers? Must have been to hide it from public scrutiny.
    So 2012--that was in the middle of the Obama admin. It was funded by the O'bama's bureaucracy. Where did the money go? Money didn't go to light African homes. It went into the pockets of someone.

IF one believes in global warming from carbon emissions, and I do not... then substituting wood for coal is a step in the right direction. But notice the environmentalists are not happy with steps in the right directions. They want submission and perfection.

Doug MacIVER likes this.
  5. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

It's gonna hurt when you pull that band aid off....

OPIC is a corporation for private investments, patterned off the Marshall plan after WW2. It's a Nixon adminstration creation.

6. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

7. billb3

billb3

Suburban wood snob likes this.
  8. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Good Article. I agree, whatever math six flags is using is pretty flawed. You lose the trees, you lose the carbon sinks.

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Suburban wood snob likes this.
  10. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

A similar effect has been noted from cruise and freight ships in Arctic waters... I was at the Tracy Arm glacier a year ago, and the ship's captain even mentioned it. Also worth mentioning...up to the left of the toungue of the Tracy Arm Glacier that's retreating is an empty hanging valley that just a few years ago had a Glacier...its gone now.

I admit that I am surprised that wood stoves could create enough of the same soot.

Interesting article.

Midwinter likes this.