In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet Stove Control board repair Applied Control Electronic DHC 4110

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Dec 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:doh:

CRS! :rofl: :lol:

I was a bit hesitant at revealing I have the ability to read said chips info. But what I don't know is if I can program them. Some of these chips might by OTP only or bit locked. But we shall see.

Might pick up a cheap baord from brand A to try and reprogram into brand E sooner or later.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    imacman likes this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I frankened my stove as well, stupid thing could not dump (sorry circulate) the air enough to stop tripping the overheat safety, which is why I am not a fan of auto reset over firing safeties)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    imacman and jtakeman like this.
  3. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

The auto resets scare me for that reason..... I want to know if there is/was an issue so i can fix it.

The Prodigy 2 has two over temp snap switches ...one on the air plenum and one on the auger tube.

The were/are auto reset type.....I can't find any manual reset type in that form factor...

So I wired them in series and connected the power feed to the "Latch out Relay" through the snaps.

A power drop or an over temp condition drops out the feed to the latchout relay and the stove shuts off.

To know if it was an over temp condition or a power drop we can simply look at the LED clocks in the kitchen.....Blinking clock will tell the story......No blinking clock and an over temp was the culprit...

A burn back up the auger can trip the snap switch.....An over temp on the air plenum can do it too..

To get an over temp on the plenum would almost have to be a loss of the blower...

If the blower stops then the pressure switch will open and shut off the auger feed....

A bit redundant....but safe.....
    The booster fan (Exhaust fan) pulls a slight vacuum in the fire box and if the booster quits the auger feed stops.....Door left open auger will not work.

Door switch activates the Convection (Combi) fan.....So again the auger will stop feeding.....

About as safe as it can be......

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    jtakeman and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  4. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

If you're going to play with a PLC, AutomationDirect has a lot of options and the programming software is free from some of them. A BRX is nice for small single projects. For larger systems, you can network multiple Do-More's.
    I used a BRX to reprogram a pallet wrapper and another BRX to control a centrifuge that I bought bare-bones rebuilt.
    I use multiple Do-More PLCs to control this:
    upload_2023-1-12_7-48-13.png

There's a 50MMBtu wood suspension burner and a 149MMBtu biomass furnace that are both automated. There are regulations for fully automated combustion though. To greatly simplify, you need flame detection with watchdog relays to ensure the inputs are not stuck and that needs to be mechanical, not programmed. The programming can trip the fuel limits relay, but the watchdog circuits physically hold the relay closed so any electrical failure results in a shutdown.

If you want to play with a PLC, I'd start with a BRX. If you want to play around for $0, you can download the Do-More designer software from automationdirect.com (same software for Do-More and BRX) and use the simulator. When I was trying to perfect automated pump swap ramping where there's 3 pumps, 2 in use all the time, and weekly the 3rd gets swapped in while one of the other two gets swapped out into standby rotation, I did that using the simulator first.

If you do play around with the Do-More Designer and have any questions, you can message or email me.

Or, you could always go with an Allen Bradley micrologix but they are far less capable.

5. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

I forgot to add: if you want to save money, they have a Click PLC that's not as expensive and uses a different software. I have no experience with that to offer.

PelletHound, slvrblkk and jtakeman like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thats some great information! Didn't realize you were that geeky/nerdy! Figured you had a crew of hired guns doing that for you. Very impressive indeed!!

I had the luxury of said fella's that were assigned that task! So I really never got to learn much ladder logic. But that is how I got my electro/mechanical skills. Being the only guy on night shift, I had to improvise and do some of the electronic repairs. Had many of the GE/Fanuc/Seimans logic cards dissected to find the bad components to get the machines back up. Got to look over a few smart fella's(AKA nerds) shoulders but the boss was always on my back to get the next mechanical issue solved.

Once I was moved to the maintenance shop. I never got to play as much unless a tech was out. So I lost a lot of the PLC stuff. Not sure I really want to go quite that deep again. The memory isn't as sharp now. Plus I gotz lazy now! The electro/mechanicals are enough to keep me busy.

As far as the safety for over fire, The high limit snap disc should be adequate. Adding another in the venting As snowy did with her rig, would be an added bonus/back up safety to be sure the feed is shut off and the controller goes into shutdown. Along with the vacuum switch as another safety I can't think of anything else besides the hopper switch for safety devices.

7. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

Computer and Electrical engineer. I write all our programming. If you ever have a question, just let me know.

8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

imacman likes this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:ups:

Some of the test stand stuff is out for delivery. Should get a good start on it today! Also need to hit the local hardware for some incandesents, Nothing but led's in the reserve.

I'll add a real auger motor and some 120v fans down the road if it kicks off.

PelletHound and imacman like this.
  10. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Its threads like these that remind me of how limited I am mentally...

11. PelletHound

PelletHound

#MeToo

12. figor

figor

Here is an arduino open source pellet controller.

13. figor

figor

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!! :)

imacman likes this.
  15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Test stand in action. Still waiting for a few pieces but its functional. :) Put my good spare board on it and watched it cycle. Tested the POF Need 2 more toggle switches to check vac and Hi Limit. Also need another terminal strip to easily check the voltage on the Combution and convection blowers.

Put board 3 on it and got the yellow multifuel light. Pushed the fuel mode and it switched to pellet mode, But the green light went out. Start button would not start the cycle?? Jumped the start button with a wire and walla. Off and running. I had some switches so that is replaced and the board cycles. But No auger or ignitor until the new relays come in. At least they finally shipped. Should see by Wednesday.

:ups:

IMG_0177.JPG

16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Productive day as the parts came in for the board(finally), Snow in Minnasota had them socked in for 4-5 days!! I was able to find a socket for the auger relay. So no more desolder to change that!
    IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0178.JPG

Finally gotz to use my new solder station. Nice havin a set temp so as to not cook things!! Shoulda bought one years ago!!

IMG_0177.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    imacman likes this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Boards is all squared up and on the test bench! So far so good! Nice having a test stand too. No more tear the stove apart only to find I gotz ta do it again!! :D

Next adventure is the firmware. See if I can tinker there too! But likely too brainy for my dumb azz!

EDIT: Awe crap! Forgot to solder the teminal block back for the thermostat. Where da heck did I put that?? :headbang:

IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    imacman likes this.
  18. figor

figor

Now I know where to send my controller if it ever goes kaput.

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'd be happy to help if yours gets a kaputz :D

Even with what I spent, I am nowhere near what a new board costs. I now have 3 working boards instead of none!

Scot Linkletter and imacman like this.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Here we go again with a board that doesn't do as it should. A fella I know asked if I could check out his board to see if it was the problem with his auger not feeding pellets? Of coarse I said yes, and it arrived yesterday, So I tossed it in the test station quick like and gave it a couple of cycles. No light coming on for the auger motor. Its the light to the far left. Should be on from the start!!

IMG_0182.JPG

imacman, eatonpcat and smoke show like this.