In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Love the pup Willis!!

will711 likes this.
  2. will711

will711

Thanks Bro she's a heat whore :fire: was at the wood burner after that pic was taken :rofl: :lol:

dylskee, 343amc and eatonpcat like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yes, wil its brew time! Gonna watch the IMSA race on fox and tip a few back. Den go fur some grub!

Love the pouch! She sure likes dat stove! ;)

eatonpcat and will711 like this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

TGIF!! Having some drinks with my lady and about to eat!!

343amc and slvrblkk like this.
  5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Eat what??

gbreda, slvrblkk, mithesaint and 4 others like this.
  6. smoke show

smoke show

waiting...

7. 343amc

343amc

Having a couple cold ones, sitting in the kitchen watching cars go by at maybe 20 mph. The drift on my front deck is about 3 feet high and growing. Going to be interesting to see what the driveway looks like in the morning.

19 outside, 72 inside with the Fahrenheit on 3 and the wood burner on a diet of maple and ash. Windier than heck outside.

DexterDay likes this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Have my Fahrenheit on level 4 on the stat right now (1st time ever). Everyday the Wife shuts it off when she leaves at 7am.
    Well today, the Enerzone decided to shut down because of the high winds. Was mid to upper 50°'s throughout the house when I got home about 6pm. Fahrenheit is still calling for heat and I have the Enerzone turned up to about 45% (33% is normally where I keep it). We are just now getting over 70°. Another half hour to an hour, they will taper back.

I also have the entire basement opened up (every door/ my tool room, closet, old Man Cave) to keep the entire floor warm and keep all the pipes from freezing. Only problem with doing that, is the basement is the same size as upstairs, so I am heating over 4,000 sq right now. :( Still cheaper than LP. :D

9. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Just Chipotle tonight :)

Nothing exotic. .

10. savemoney

savemoney

Love that picture. Very calming.

will711 likes this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

Did you see where propane went from 2.69 to $5.00 overnight! That just sucks. I'm telling everyone you need to be pro active in your communities to keep restriction off hands. Fossils fuels has a grip they don't won't to loose.

12. dylskee

dylskee

Had some supper and drinks tonight, did a full cleaning of the pellet stove for the second time this season. 2 tons down, one more to go until I have to buy more.......

Pallet Pete and DexterDay like this.
  13. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

O no I'm almost outa pellets to light the stove! But I got the PBR.:):drunk:

will711, imacman, dylskee and 3 others like this.
  14. mithesaint

mithesaint

I originally thought your heating set up was overkill, but it's starting to look pretty nice. The CPM has all it can handle right now, and I'm wishing I had bought the Fahrenheit when the dealer in Oberlin had them. How far from the outside wall is yours? I'd love to set one up right next to the LP furnace, but it's about 12 feet from the wall, and the gurus at Fahrenheit told me that would be too far for the venting. I have room to set a furnace by the wall, but then I have a bunch of new ductwork. Thoughts?

15. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

And you need a gallon and a half to equal 1 gallon of oil. That's equivalent to $7.50 a gallon oil.......thieves

savemoney likes this.
  16. 343amc

343amc

I was in a similar spot. I wanted to put mine next to the oil furnace but couldn't pull it off without being too close to the oil tank for my comfort. Mine is at the far end of the basement, about 2 feet from the wall. I had to extend my cold air return to make it work, but got lucky with the hot air. It's not the most ideal placement as it's about 50 feet to the opposite end of the main hot air trunk, but it works. Just wish the blower was 1000 CFM or so instead of 800.

DexterDay likes this.
  17. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Mine is only a 4 ft horizontal section. I normally never NEED both pellet units running. I normally run the furnace on level 1 or 2 (manual) and let the Enerzone kick on to take up the slack.

Either one can do the job itself, but it seems warmer and seems to use less fuel by running this way. Plus, when something does happen (like yesterday ) and I NEED a lot of heat. I can warm this joint up pretty quickly. Started a fire in the wood eater, put Fahrenheit on 4 and Enerzone at almost half tilt. Took under 3 hrs to go from 56° to 76°. For heating about 4,000 sq feet and getting 6°-7° an hour? That's pretty good in my opinion.

Your more than welcome to stop out and check it out. Also, my dealer still had them. As long as you had at least 4 ft or 5 ft or vertical? An 8 ft section of horizontal wouldn't be to bad. As long as you observed the 1/4" (or 1/2" would be better) rise per foot. Some stoves state a Max horizontal. Fahrenheit does not. But because they are furnaces and most times need to be located in odd places, I would think there are quite a few installs with more horizontal than the standard 3ft.

18. mithesaint

mithesaint

Thanks guys.

343 - how many sq ft are you heating with yours? I would have the same problem with very long runs. I originally looked at getting a Fahrenheit to replace the CPM, but it probably wouldn't be enough for these bad days. Now, I'm thinking about getting the Fahrenheit and keeping the CPM, and letting the Fahrenheit take care of most of the load, with the CPM kicking on for the coldest days. Just tossing ideas around. Not sure how much more weather we'll get that's this bad.

19. 343amc

343amc

I'm heating 1700 square feet on the main level, and half that in the basement. One half of my basement is finished with a couple heat ducts in that area (dampened way down) and the other half is uninsulated/utility/storage area. It's a vintage 1959 ranch, cathedral ceilings in 1/2 of the upstairs, standard ceilings in the other half, newer windows, could use more insulation in the accessible attic area of the house. I WILL be adding insulation this spring. Been putting it off for a few years now. Wish I'd done that in the fall.

The furnace does well on its own at an outdoor temp 10-15 degrees or above. Below that and I either crank it up a notch to 4 or make a fire in the wood eater. We usually keep the house around 68-70. It spends 95% of the season on 2 or 3. I'm on course to burn 4-5 tons this year. Not much more money than a buddy recently spent on a single propane tank fillup.

The original owner of my furnace was heating a 2 story 3000 + square ft farmhouse. He ran it hard and ended up putting in a PF100 and sold the Fahrenheit. If I had a larger house or less insulation I don't know that the Fahrenheit would be enough in the really cold temps that we've been having. Too bad Fahrenheit doesn't make a 75000 BTU model.

20. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Make no mistake, my furnace can heat the house on these cold days on its own. Yesterday was the 1st time it's been on level 4 and that was just because the Enerzone through a code and I shut the furnace off before work. So I bumped it up to 4 to get the house back up to temp. I run both stoves just for convenience and it seems to use less pellets if I don't push either of them hard. Otherwise the furnace is on level 3 with the stat (solo and no Enerzone) or on level 1 or 2 and I let the Enerzone pick up the slack if needed.

My Ranch is pretty wide open, and gets good Solar gain during the day, but the Fahrenheit holds it own at these cold temps..

My biggest gripe is the blower size. As 343 stated, it's only 800 CFM.