In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Earl764

Earl764

I hope things go well for you both.

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, imacman and 2 others like this.
  2. savemoney

savemoney

I used to work in an ICU where I took care of patients who had bleeding Esophageal varicesies. Frightening indeed. Prayers for a successful treatment and recovery. When you feel the need to talk, we are here for you and your dear wife.

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, imacman and 3 others like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I no pay attention to such forecast talk to me about Grindavic.

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I didn't either at first. Woke up to nada and flurries. welp I guess I did my dance too soon! Sn* topia started about noon and 2 inches plus. :headbang:

6. savemoney

savemoney

Snowing here. should be about 4 inches of light stuff. Just enough to raise heck on the roads. I am staying inside as usual.

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I left the 2" as the term was climbing. Sure enough took brodie out and its a crunch on top. If I had sn* blowed it would be slicker than snot on the black top! Heading out in a bit to get whats there.

Hope it aint an ice bowl tomorrow!!

8. savemoney

savemoney

no mail today. Having Sunday and Monday off was too much so they need a day to rest up.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Here too. I don't really miss all the political flyers which make up the bulk of my mail this time of year. To be fair, I got done snow blowing about 4:30 am and my street had not yet been treated at all by the town. Since I'm 4 blocks from the center of town, and on a fairly busy road (shortcut between towns), that surprised me. However, they cancelled school early so that traffic didn't need clear roads. Finally heard the plow go by about 6:30 pm.

IHATEPROPANE, wildwest and imacman like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

The P43 is feeling the love now. With overnight lows in the teens (and soon to be single digits), I have turned off the mini split and told the pellet stove to go for it. If we get sun today with the temps in the 20's, I may go to the mini split during the day. The MS keeps my feet warmer in the office because I don't wear shoes or slippers and the head unit in my office "swings" so heat is directed to the floor just to the side of my work desk.

May have to turn the P61a thermostat up as the garage temp is dropping. Just enough heat goes thru the shared wall to help keep it above freezing.

11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Our mail driver had chains on. Haven't seen that in a while.

A whole 12ºF this AM. Not sure with the wind chill. A good test for the insulation that was installed. Stoves a chugging and 71ºF in da shaby shack! Now to do some more work on them drafts.

Put some plastic over the winders in my hang out. But still feeling a chill, Off to get a can of spray foam. Tear the trim off it and fix where I musta missed. Also got a breaze from one of the outlets. Gonna goop that up too!

Pretty close to the 3 ton mark. With only a ton left in the stash. I gotta get shopping!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  12. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

The cold came and we picked up a couple inches of mixed sleet/snow and 60 mph winds to add insult to injury.

Power went out Sat morning at 8:30 am
    Went to town and grabbed breakfast....Discovered what took the power out....Maple tree in some folk's yard....Just snapped off....

So we had high hopes the Power company (Working on it at that time) would get it fixed .....

We head home....About a mile up the mountain there was another tree that came down after we had gone through earlier....Big mess.....Another cold dark night......

We ran the Genny and kept the Quadrafire going......Being at the far end of the house it has a tough time heating the bedrooms.....But does keep it habitable....."Barely"

We had 3 days of 12 F

This is pretty cold for us......I have seen colder....maybe zero a couple times in my years.....

That sort of temp makes it hard for the two nut burners to keep up.....We are good down into the low 20's F and if we get some decent snow on the roof ....Very cozy

The very minimal snow just did little to help.

A ranch style house needs a pellet stove in every corner....:thumbs:
    We are seeing temps moderate a lot since yesterday at this hour
    Yesterday was 12 F and now it is 33F 20 degree jump....Gonna feel like a spring morning....ALMOST

45F this afternoon......Gonna be nice not having to deal with Frozen water buckets for the horses..

Every winter claims more trees and power line killers...I keep hoping this will eventually weed out the junk trees.......

13. scajjr2

scajjr2

Thanks for all the well wishes. A week of being home has helped. She had a doctor's appointment ( ophthalmologist) in Newington (office park neat to Pease Tradeport) yesterday and handled it OK. A side effect of the liver issue is fluid buildup in right eye. Doc said it had dropped significantly.
    Stopped at Walmart on way home and for the first time in a year she walked around instead of using one of their scooter carts.

Weather wasn't that bad I thought as we headed out at 8:30am. But NH101 hadn't been treated or plowed at all so the snow was getting packed down and slippery from the traffic. By the time we were headed back at 10:15 plowing was starting to get going.

Around 2pm thought it had stopped so decided to go put mealworms & seed for the birds. Stepped outside into fine sleet and freezing rain. Bluebirds were happy, no sooner had I gotten back in when we looked and there were 7 of them perched all around the edge of the basket feeder. Very calm birds. Never see them fight over the mealworms, usually see 3-4 of them just sitting and eating at the same time. And they must like the stuff we put out cause we have a few very pudgy ones.

Sam

14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Remember :heidi::deadhorse::pete::rofl: :lol::doh:

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

Wind Chill Calculator (noaa.gov)

and.....

[​IMG]

:handshake:

16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

17. vtktm802

vtktm802

Yup, the arctic blast is here. finally a decent snow fall yesterday.

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

Must be one of them new fangled "cat" outlets, huh? :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

With the below 20 temps and no sun, Had my first 3 bagger of the season!

Beast can eat :makeitrain"

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Brrr! We're colder than, but did well with 2 bags a day and wood stove. Last couple days wind kicked up, no way they're bringing wood in a white out, so day 2 of a 3 bag days. Thank goodness we didnt didn't remove the pellet furnace as planned !